Author Topic: Bono's voice 2017 edtion  (Read 1101 times)

Offline Samdoyle1987

• Babyface
Bono's voice 2017 edtion
« on: July 29, 2017, 09:46:42 AM »
What do you think of Bono's voice this tour? I think his voice is still good enough for me to think of him as a great singer. Yet, it seems that every tour, he loses a small element of his voice. Remember the legendary high, raspy belts of the 360 tour? (See this video for examples You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login) .  On that tour, he could easily belt powerful c5's, and he could hold them out for several seconds. Now, his highest note is a b4, (he sings it on the WIIIDE awake of "Bad".). It seems there was a large change in vocal power between the 360 tour and the I+e tour. His voice now is pretty much the same as it was in 2015, but he has had to lower " bad'" by a half-step, which is surprising, as he could hit the "wide awake" note (c5) pretty well in 2015. It also seems that his falsetto has gotten weaker, for example the "run TO the ocean" in the OTH coda sounds very thin and sharp., when it sounded rather smooth in the 360 performances of this song.
Although I think bono still has a good voice, in my opinion, he is struggling with high notes more then ever. For example
 -"raining in my heart" from OTH
-" wide awake" from bad
-" burning down love" from streets.
Also, he isn't singing the opera part of MS. I don't know if he still can but I wouldn't put is past him. Here's why- that MS high note (a g#4 held out super long on "L'Amour") is the same note that he hits so well in this 2015 performance of AIWIY at 4:41 You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.
Also it seems he is being lazy with songs in a lower register. It seems that when a quiet, acoustic song comes along, he takes the opportunity to give his voice a break, and it can sound rather like " talk singing". Especially in RTSS, he doesn't really sing it,he just talks through it.
I am not hating, I just want to start a discussion. On a positive note, I think he sounds good on some performances of OTH, ultraviolet (when he goes for the high notes) and WOWY.
Also, what do you think he can do to get some of his voice back?
I just want to clarify once more that I love bono's voice, in all its forms.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 09:50:01 AM by Samdoyle1987 »

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
Re: Bono's voice 2017 edtion
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 10:12:22 AM »
He sounded amazing at twickenham 1 I was less than 10 ft from him on bad and he was incredible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 10:33:48 AM »
He has his moments but his voice is largely very thin these days, he avoids or shall we say changes a lot of the more 'difficult' parts by changing the phrasing and almost speaking in parts and at times his voice is mixed in such a way it has that 'on helium' sound that is difficult to decipher anyway.

Overall it seems very inconsistent, but the thing is it has character that he would be well served embracing rather than trying to sing how he used to and I think he is slowly getting around to realising that and when he does he is better for it.

His low register has always been better to my ear than yelping in higher register Bono and it is his low register these days where he shines best for my money and is still a force to be reckoned with....when he tries to push his higher register he often falls flat, sounds thin or his voice is mixed in such a way that he is almost white noise (clearly deliberate to hide the thinness/lack of power)

He's a rock singer anyway and being 'perfect' isn't necessary in my view - embracing and using the character in your voice, knowing your limitations, using a modified style where necessary etc is all a part of the game and i think he is getting better at doing those things rather than just trying to sing how he used to sing and sounding 'bad'
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 10:35:30 AM by an tha »

Offline riffraff

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The storms will pass
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 11:03:48 AM »
He had SUCH a beautiful, strong voice when he was young...I think we all miss that voice. But,
he still shines.

Offline monopoly

• Numb
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 11:22:11 AM »
Well he's 57. Some songs like TTYW sound better this tour.

Offline georgemccauley

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 11:55:46 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
He has his moments but his voice is largely very thin these days, he avoids or shall we say changes a lot of the more 'difficult' parts by changing the phrasing and almost speaking in parts and at times his voice is mixed in such a way it has that 'on helium' sound that is difficult to decipher anyway.

Overall it seems very inconsistent, but the thing is it has character that he would be well served embracing rather than trying to sing how he used to and I think he is slowly getting around to realising that and when he does he is better for it.

His low register has always been better to my ear than yelping in higher register Bono and it is his low register these days where he shines best for my money and is still a force to be reckoned with....when he tries to push his higher register he often falls flat, sounds thin or his voice is mixed in such a way that he is almost white noise (clearly deliberate to hide the thinness/lack of power)

He's a rock singer anyway and being 'perfect' isn't necessary in my view - embracing and using the character in your voice, knowing your limitations, using a modified style where necessary etc is all a part of the game and i think he is getting better at doing those things rather than just trying to sing how he used to sing and sounding 'bad'

Great post, your replies regarding Bono's voice are always excellent. We share the same thoughts about his low register. Have you heard the heroes snippet in Bad from Twickenham 1? I think he totally nails that and there's a rasp in his voice we so rarely see these days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 12:20:22 PM »

Great post, your replies regarding Bono's voice are always excellent. We share the same thoughts about his low register. Have you heard the heroes snippet in Bad from Twickenham 1? I think he totally nails that and there's a rasp in his voice we so rarely see these days

Cheers

I haven't heard that snippet...i'll go and find it later and have a listen - thanks.

Offline Achtung Ninja

• Babyface
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2017, 01:25:36 PM »
What do you think of Bono's voice this tour? I think his voice is still good enough for me to think of him as a great singer. Yet, it seems that every tour, he loses a small element of his voice. Remember the legendary high, raspy belts of the 360 tour? (See this video for examples You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login) .  On that tour, he could easily belt powerful c5's, and he could hold them out for several seconds. Now, his highest note is a b4, (he sings it on the WIIIDE awake of "Bad".). It seems there was a large change in vocal power between the 360 tour and the I+e tour. His voice now is pretty much the same as it was in 2015, but he has had to lower " bad'" by a half-step, which is surprising, as he could hit the "wide awake" note (c5) pretty well in 2015. It also seems that his falsetto has gotten weaker, for example the "run TO the ocean" in the OTH coda sounds very thin and sharp., when it sounded rather smooth in the 360 performances of this song.
Although I think bono still has a good voice, in my opinion, he is struggling with high notes more then ever. For example
 -"raining in my heart" from OTH
-" wide awake" from bad
-" burning down love" from streets.
Also, he isn't singing the opera part of MS. I don't know if he still can but I wouldn't put is past him. Here's why- that MS high note (a g#4 held out super long on "L'Amour") is the same note that he hits so well in this 2015 performance of AIWIY at 4:41 You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.
Also it seems he is being lazy with songs in a lower register. It seems that when a quiet, acoustic song comes along, he takes the opportunity to give his voice a break, and it can sound rather like " talk singing". Especially in RTSS, he doesn't really sing it,he just talks through it.
I am not hating, I just want to start a discussion. On a positive note, I think he sounds good on some performances of OTH, ultraviolet (when he goes for the high notes) and WOWY.
Also, what do you think he can do to get some of his voice back?
I just want to clarify once more that I love bono's voice, in all its forms.

I agree. I saw them early on this tour (5-17-17) and it did seem like he wasn't warmed up. However, as the show progressed he showed he could still hit the high notes.  By the time they performed WTSHNN, they looked like the band we all remember and love.

Here's a shot of that song, apologies for the shaky camera. My arms were getting tired.

Offline 73October

• Party Girl/Boy
  • A hurricane being born
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2017, 10:14:36 AM »
Yes I was at Twickenham and he nailed Heroes.  I'd say he sang really well 95% of the time.  There were a couple of dud notes I heard (when we all weren't singing along) and a couple of things he didn't quite catch.  Also there is more 'spoken song' now compared to previous tours, but that can be understandable when performing a song that may be better suited to a younger voice (RHMT, BTBS).  The note he held on the end of TLTTGTA was strong and well held.
In my opinion, Bono still has a very very good voice.  Even better when you consider that at his age he has been performing approx. 3 shows per week for the last 2.5 months or so.  In fact from last Tuesday night to this Tuesday night he is scheduled to perform 4 shows over 2 hours each.
Younger vocalists can't keep up with Bono's pace.  Adele has likely done some damage again and may never tour again, having cancelled the last 2 shows.  Justin Bieber has cancelled 14 dates in 3 months.  On the JT 2017 tour 14 dates will be just over 3 weeks worth of touring.  Yes I know Bieber may have cancelled due to fatigue or his Christianity (or even both - not that Christianity make you tired!) but I know that U2 are not ones for cancelling and walking away.  In the few times that they have cancelled (for various reasons) they have rescheduled as soon as reasonably possible.  So if Bono had voice problems and needed to cancel - they wouldn't - they'd just postpone. 
I think Bono has some issues with blocked nose/throat - sinuses.  I live across the Irish Sea and there are similar problems here with sinuses etc amongst the people.  It rains a lot on the Irish Sea coasts, and the damp weather can affect breathing and vocal chords.  So I sympathise, as I have some similar problems as well.  I have seen footage of Bono coughing and spluttering mid-song and I know how that feels!

Offline Pistol80

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 04:35:46 AM »
His voice is slowly deteriorating, but that is to be expected. Almost every singer his age and older, that I can think of, has the same issues. Song keys are dropped down to compensate or certain high notes are avoided. Or backing singers are brought in to carry some of the load.
He can still belt it out when he wants to, but he probably has to be careful as his voice doesn't have the stamina it used to.
I think he's doing pretty well for his age. It's hard for singers. Singers tend to peak in their early 30's I think.

When he's on, he can still stir the senses. When he did 'Bad' at Twickenham 1, the heroes snippet took me completely by suprise and it sort of lifted the audience to the next level.
It's great that he can still do that at 57 and pull it out of the bag.

Offline Kmama07

• Running to Stand Still
  • She is everywhere and no place
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 05:41:46 AM »

Fair points. I agree with both the helium comment and embracing the lower register/deeper matured voice.  Truth be told, I am a bit nervous to see what Detroit show brings. I believe they are off for a month or so beforehand. Some would argue his voice will sound better after a rest. My argument would be tour opening shows generally are weak and suffer from not being in "vocal shape" due to performing every few days. We shall see.

Offline aviastar

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 06:40:22 AM »
I think his voice is weakening but there have always been songs that he has had trouble hitting the notes live - even back in the day.  U2 has had a habit of writing songs that are challenging for Bono to sing outside of a studio environment.  So what you have is a catalog that only gets harder to sing/perform as the group ages.  The newer stuff (SIO, SOE, NLOTH) probably takes this into account but when they pull way back into their catalog, it can be rough I bet...

« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 06:46:34 AM by aviastar »

Offline the_chief

• Refugee
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 08:17:24 AM »
Thought his vocals on California and EBW were brilliant tbh.

Live, always more difficult. For a man of his years and the sh** he's put his voice through, it's amazing he's even still hitting certain notes

Offline GEMF

• Babyface
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2017, 10:53:59 AM »
Yesterday I was at Amsterdam 2. After reading comments on boards like these, I was totally surprised at how good Bono still sounds on a second night in a row! Even in a stadium like the Johan Cruyff Arena, which is infamous for its bad sound...

His voice sounds the same to me since 2009. 

Offline georgemccauley

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2017, 05:59:29 PM »
Yesterday I was at Amsterdam 2. After reading comments on boards like these, I was totally surprised at how good Bono still sounds on a second night in a row! Even in a stadium like the Johan Cruyff Arena, which is infamous for its bad sound...

His voice sounds the same to me since 2009.

He does still sing pretty well but I have to disagree with the comparison to 2009. I think his voice from 2009 - 2015 was one of The most noticeable changes.

This is the one thing that bugs me with his voice these days, if you listen to performances from 360 you can hear there's always a deep layer in everything he is singing. His voice even talking just sounds deeper with more feeling. Bono's voice also hardly ever broke all all during 360 it really was impressive.

Fast forward to SOI and 2015. An huge change for the worse and now we are hearing an incredibly thin and almost nasally sounding voice from bono. As if he has lost all of his lower range and now has to rely on one particular range to sing every song in.

These days he is sounding very thin and almost shouting these songs at us, it might sound harsh but I don't understand why he can't sing like he did in 360 anymore? Is this intentional, is he having vocal lessons?

His voice is incredible still but one thing that bugs me so much is how nasally his voice is. If only he could just relax a bit more and bring out some more lower range, similar that to the 360 tour, don't tell me there's no difference because there's a huge difference