Author Topic: Bono's voice 2017 edtion  (Read 1081 times)

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
  • She moves in mysterious ways
Re: Bono's voice 2017 edtion
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2017, 06:50:44 PM »
I think Bono is comfortable with his voice and I have no problem with it.Lets just be thanful they are still touring and making albums. Looking forward to new album and tour.

Offline LToy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2017, 10:11:50 PM »
Perhaps this video will shed some light on the state of Bono's voice.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline very good

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2017, 01:31:35 AM »
I & E tour was the first signs of deterioration for me - this tour I felt his voice was worse again. I'm amazed it has taken this long considering what he has put his voice through over the years. As recently as the 360 tour he was singing like a bird. Comes to all/most singers - I still enjoy listening to him live but just not like I used to.

Offline Jdelbove

• Babyface
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2017, 09:57:27 PM »
Do we agree that his voice is still way better than it was during popmart, elevation and the vertigo tours? Much more consistent richer and more powerful.  On Popmart he still had a good falsetto though.

Offline very good

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2017, 02:42:27 AM »
Do we agree that his voice is still way better than it was during popmart, elevation and the vertigo tours? Much more consistent richer and more powerful.  On Popmart he still had a good falsetto though.

His voice was a bit weaker during popmart but I thought elevation tour it was much stronger. I guess a (very) slow decline since - as is only natural. His voice has stood up fantastically well considering what it has gone through over the last 40 years but it is now at a point that is noticeably different/weaker. I played a friend a video from One in paris yesterday and she said how different he sounds compared to the record. I think that is more noticeable than it's ever been.

Offline Jdelbove

• Babyface
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2017, 10:42:43 AM »
I thought his voice on elevation was pretty much gone.  Raspy, inconsistant and limited power.  The vertigo era saw strength return and sustained high notes.  360 his voice was pretty consistently strong but still raspy at times.  I&E and joshua tree tour his voice is smooth, and there is still some serious power in his middle register but he seems to by shying away from sustained high notes that were easy for him on vertigo and 360.  I do think he has better tone and character than he had during 360 and vertigo as I prefer his middle and lower register which is where he seems comfortable singing now.  I think he still can hit the sustained hight notes but now has focused on constancy and sustainability.  He doesn't want to have shows where his voice is blown from performing the previous show.  He also seems more focused on his tone and sound of his voice rather than showing that he can do the sustained high notes.  I think he sings Pride now better than he ever has.  On Popmart and Elevation he really could not sing the song at all. 

People need to give him more respect.  His sings differently every few years as his voice is constantly changing but still sounds good and impresses.

I know RHMT doesnt sound like the album but look at the performance from London below.  He sounds great doesn't he?

« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 10:49:58 AM by Jdelbove »

Offline JTNash

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2017, 12:21:36 PM »
I gotta say that technologies are better now, so someone's voice could be worse but sound better.  But I don't think that's the case he is taking better care of his pipes these days

Offline Peterrrrr

• Babyface
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2017, 02:41:37 AM »
He actually have hit an breif of C5 on Bad this tour :)

His ie voice was very underrated, also in mind, the tour was held just after the bike ride. And pain can hold you back.

The best Streets vocals since 1989 was done in 2015:
Was the vocals more like this(listen from 6:10 to chours)

Higher on Even Better The The Real Thing is alot better this tour 3.32 in this video

Powerful Electric Cooooooooooooooo  5.08 in this video

The whole song of the first performence of  WLCTT this tour.

Iris, he have hit the note night after night... 3.24 in this video

WOWY, wow

Offline Allhorizonbomb

• Babyface
  • Self proclaimed biggest U2 fan in New York State
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2017, 08:17:44 AM »
What do you think of Bono's voice this tour? I think his voice is still good enough for me to think of him as a great singer. Yet, it seems that every tour, he loses a small element of his voice. Remember the legendary high, raspy belts of the 360 tour? (See this video for examples You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login) .  On that tour, he could easily belt powerful c5's, and he could hold them out for several seconds. Now, his highest note is a b4, (he sings it on the WIIIDE awake of "Bad".). It seems there was a large change in vocal power between the 360 tour and the I+e tour. His voice now is pretty much the same as it was in 2015, but he has had to lower " bad'" by a half-step, which is surprising, as he could hit the "wide awake" note (c5) pretty well in 2015. It also seems that his falsetto has gotten weaker, for example the "run TO the ocean" in the OTH coda sounds very thin and sharp., when it sounded rather smooth in the 360 performances of this song.
Although I think bono still has a good voice, in my opinion, he is struggling with high notes more then ever. For example
 -"raining in my heart" from OTH
-" wide awake" from bad
-" burning down love" from streets.
Also, he isn't singing the opera part of MS. I don't know if he still can but I wouldn't put is past him. Here's why- that MS high note (a g#4 held out super long on "L'Amour") is the same note that he hits so well in this 2015 performance of AIWIY at 4:41 You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.
Also it seems he is being lazy with songs in a lower register. It seems that when a quiet, acoustic song comes along, he takes the opportunity to give his voice a break, and it can sound rather like " talk singing". Especially in RTSS, he doesn't really sing it,he just talks through it.
I am not hating, I just want to start a discussion. On a positive note, I think he sounds good on some performances of OTH, ultraviolet (when he goes for the high notes) and WOWY.
Also, what do you think he can do to get some of his voice back?
I just want to clarify once more that I love bono's voice, in all its forms.

I'm going to agree with everything here. It's pretty clear he can barely sing A Sort of Homecoming and has to have edge sing all the high notes in that song while he tries to drop an octave for a wierd harmony.