Author Topic: The worst thing (about U2 is this)  (Read 1341 times)

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
The worst thing (about U2 is this)
« on: July 30, 2017, 11:58:51 AM »
Anyone else a little demoralized to hear that "The best thing" is now clearly a featured song from the new album and probably the first release? This obsession with poppy first singles represents the worst of U2 to me - I'd prefer that they accept they'll not have a crossover hit and play out their last few years in a Bowie-like fashion - am I alone?

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
Re: The worst thing (about U2 is this)
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 12:10:20 PM »
Considering we don't even know what the final version sounds like, I think we can hold our breath a bit longer... unless someone's expecting the first single to be an ambient piece for whatever reason. Then the argument will just be "the first single is too rock... the first single is too pop" for some here on the boards, as usual.

Truth be told, I haven't even heard any version of The Best Thing yet either from the clips, so I'm pretty open-minded at this point.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 12:12:19 PM by trevgreg »

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 12:25:29 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Considering we don't even know what the final version sounds like, I think we can hold our breath a bit longer... unless someone's expecting the first single to be an ambient piece for whatever reason. Then the argument will just be "the first single is too rock... the first single is too pop" for some here on the boards, as usual.

Truth be told, I haven't even heard any version of The Best Thing yet either from the clips, so I'm pretty open-minded at this point.

No mention of 'hipster'....pah!

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 12:30:11 PM »

I don't agree with that analysis ..... I think most on this board consider Out of control, Pride, New Year's Day, the fly, WOWY, numb and desire to be good choices of first single ..... the pop apologists would also consider discotheque a bold choice

It's just that over the last few albums the debut song has been aimed at an audience who is increasingly less likely to ever listen to anything from U2 let alone their latest offering

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 12:36:05 PM »
As much as i can't stand them i have to accept and admit that BD and Vertigo were big hits and are to this day real crowd favourites....so regardless it can't be argued they were bad choices and had no audience as they are successful.....they probably are more popular with casual/non u2 fans than they are with hardcore u2 fans....

So that only leaves Boots and Miracle....

Both not much cop really but neither could really be described as blatant attempts at cross over hits (ok they are bad pop rock songs but that isn't really the same thing as blatant crossover attempts IMO) i'd even go as far as to say that in u2's out of touch minds they were seen as badass rock songs (of course they weren't but i bet they thought they were) so not really sure what you are trying to say here, Codeguy
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 12:41:34 PM by an tha »

Offline BalconyTV

• Numb
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 01:17:24 PM »
People need to give the song a chance. Hearing a remix of a few lyrics could mean the song could go in any direction. To be honest I didnt mind what I heard of The Best Thing. Im curious what people want from this band now? They have done it all.

monopoly

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 01:18:23 PM »
i can't make sense yet of what's going on. Yesterday everyone was talking about blackout. But they made this whole thing about how they couldn't release SOE because it was too joyous and didn't make sense with the current world. Releasing it as the first single doesn't make sense
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 01:20:06 PM by monopoly »

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 01:51:47 PM »
No mention of 'hipster'....pah!

Ha! I'll try to do better next time.  :P

I don't agree with that analysis ..... I think most on this board consider Out of control, Pride, New Year's Day, the fly, WOWY, numb and desire to be good choices of first single ..... the pop apologists would also consider discotheque a bold choice

It's just that over the last few albums the debut song has been aimed at an audience who is increasingly less likely to ever listen to anything from U2 let alone their latest offering

I meant more in terms of recent releases, so maybe I should have made that clear. But "first single" choices are usually debated on any album for any band ever anyway, and it's always going to come down to 20/20 hindsight, or different things that happened each time due to what was promoted more, other specifics, etc.

Same for the other songs you mentioned. The Fly ultimately got less airplay and attention than some of the other singles off those albums... did that ultimately make it the 'best' choice or even make a difference then? Some of us might not even know Out of Control was a "first single" too... and even then, I'm sure you'll find opinions for IWF or whatever else too.

The fact is a lot of us are not going to have the best idea on what a 'first single' should have been until we hear all 10-12 songs anyway. And if there's a guitar lick or a "catchy" vocal hook (or not), the pitchforks will come out regardless.

Offline Smee

• Numb
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2017, 02:49:45 PM »
I can just about remember when u2 released great singles

Online DoYouFeelLoved

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Holy Dunc Space Junk
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2017, 02:52:49 PM »
We don't know how the final version will sound, so there's no reason to worry and jump to conclusions right now.

Let's give them the benefit of the doubt and then we'll judge.

Offline fardreamer

• Child of Grace
  • The best things are easy to destroy
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2017, 02:57:34 PM »
My goodness...

How about we actually hear the song before we decide its no good?

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2017, 03:00:47 PM »
I didn't care for "Best Thing" when I heard it, but perhaps they can mix it for a muddier sound?

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2017, 03:03:01 PM »
My goodness...

honestly though we've heard enough of the lyrics to complain about them.

Offline fardreamer

• Child of Grace
  • The best things are easy to destroy
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2017, 03:06:38 PM »
My goodness...

honestly though we've heard enough of the lyrics to complain about them.

Really?

We heard some kind of remix with bad audio quality.

It might suck but riddle me this, what would you have thought of finding out Lemon was a single if you'd heard some bad audio leak of one of its lesser remixes first?

Offline Spaderholic

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2017, 03:21:16 PM »
I'm confused, is The Blackout the same song as The Best Thing then? I've never heard any version of The Best Thing anywhere so I've no idea what it's like. I've heard people mentioning the title before but I've never heard it. When people started mentioning The Blackout over the past couple of days I thought they were talking about a different song. I guess not! Like I said, I'm confused! lol.