Author Topic: The worst thing (about U2 is this)  (Read 1339 times)

Offline Spaderholic

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: The worst thing (about U2 is this)
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2017, 04:46:53 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Too heavy and too rock n roll for u2....

Always appreciated QOTSA and also loves his Them Crooked Vultures stuff Dead End Friends is as good a rock song as you could ask to hear.

I think it would be quite amusing to hear U2 tackling a song like "Sick, Sick, Sick" though, lol! :D

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2017, 05:16:23 PM »

Too heavy and too rock n roll for u2....

Always appreciated QOTSA and also loves his Them Crooked Vultures stuff Dead End Friends is as good a rock song as you could ask to hear.

I think it would be quite amusing to hear U2 tackling a song like "Sick, Sick, Sick" though, lol! :D

:)

Offline KenKaniff

• Babyface
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2017, 10:01:42 PM »
I don't mind "The Best Thing" and WE DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE. We're only familiar with the dance remix we heard.

Anyways, way better than bland TLTTGYA;

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2017, 10:05:42 PM »
well TLT to me is a best-case-scenario for modern U2. i really do hope it turns out as well on the album as it was on Kimmel.

true i hope to be wrong about Best Thing.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2017, 03:50:05 AM »
well TLT to me is a best-case-scenario for modern U2. i really do hope it turns out as well on the album as it was on Kimmel.

true i hope to be wrong about Best Thing.

Yes, I quite liked the version on Kimmel.  It is not the sort of song that works in a huge stadium, but would sound great in a club.

As for the Best Thing, let's wait and see and hope it's going to be better than the dance remix. 

Offline aviastar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2017, 06:58:03 AM »
I am extremely hesistant to judge Best Things based on a dance remix spun at a live gig by a DJ.  I haven't heard any other version so I am approaching it as "I kinda know the lyrics and the tune, but I have no idea what the sound will really be".   Also it's one song - hypothetically, say it's really close to the remix we heard.  If it is, am I going to love it?  Probably not.  Is it going to ruin an album or the band for me?  Absolutely not.  There are U2 songs I don't really like (Boots)...the world continues to spin and I am still really into the band.

I am looking forward to SOE, to all the songs I haven't yet heard...and to the one song that I have (I really like TLT).  But it's also not make-all or break-all.  If there's a handful of songs on the album I like, bonus!  I guess it doesn't matter to me what the single is.  The band still is fun to see live, it's still a bunch of fun being a U2 fan, etc.

Offline 73October

• Numb
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2017, 08:20:10 AM »
I'm looking forward to hearing it, and a the studio version of The Little Things as well. This year will be good.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2017, 10:06:44 AM »
I hope to be proved wrong - after all, had I judged SOI from the Miracle, i'd have written it off, and it's an album I still listen to regularly (especially troubles and SLABT) .

Anyway, we're getting a new U2 album this year - so lets hope it's yet another masterpiece!

Offline SouthernElle

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2017, 05:29:43 PM »
Ditto

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline ZEROpartII

• Child of Grace
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2017, 06:53:40 PM »
I'm confused, is The Blackout the same song as The Best Thing then? I've never heard any version of The Best Thing anywhere so I've no idea what it's like. I've heard people mentioning the title before but I've never heard it. When people started mentioning The Blackout over the past couple of days I thought they were talking about a different song. I guess not! Like I said, I'm confused! lol.

My buddy said its a double single release

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2017, 04:38:36 AM »
I think the best way to gauge a closer sound to the u2 version is by listening to these. By no means am I saying they are going to be THE actual sound, but worth listening to nonetheless:

Or this:

I think from these versions and the Kygo mix we can garner the overall feel of the song. Verdict: the verses are ok, the chorus is meh

« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 04:42:17 AM by miami »