Author Topic: Sam Shepherd  (Read 606 times)

Offline miryclay

• Elevated
  • I wandered out in the world for years
Sam Shepherd
« on: July 31, 2017, 11:26:51 AM »
RIP

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

He was an influence upon The Joshua Tree. If anyone knows more about his work please post.

Offline achtung child

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: Sam Shepherd
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 01:14:25 PM »
Being an actor, I'm familiar with a portion of his work and history.  The majority of his early work began in the off off off Broadway scene of NYC.  He was also a musician in the Village during the 70's, a drummer I believe in a few dead end bands.  He had a torrid affair with Patti Smith, leaving his wife and child, before either were famous.  They even wrote a play together called Cowboy Mouth circa 1971.  Most of his work centers on the myth of the American west and outcasts on the fringes of society.  His language alternates between gritty realism to poetic/surrealistic. I can understand how he might have been an influence on the album.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 01:46:34 PM by achtung child »

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
Re: Sam Shepherd
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 02:32:45 AM »
Hawkmoon 269. Thank you, Sam.

And from Sam's Dream Band, you can see his influence on Bono:

"Rattle. A plane flash. Baby whimper. The house moans. The droning plane. Birds play. My tattoo itching. Anne Waldman. New Jersey. Long Island. Michael's lungs. Black spot from the Midwest. Eddie Hicks. LouEllen. All their Babies. Miners in the cave shaft. Murray and his Cheyenne headband. His grey Mustang rusted out. Feet, hands. Lubricating sweat glands. The body's secret machine. Patti and the Chelsea. David making rhubarb wine. His new camera. Scott and Annie. Their black roof. Jeeps in four wheel drive. Sand and beach. Endless. Rattle. Wisdom teeth. Bleeding gum flap. Hydrogen peroxide. The Beach Boys. Duarte High. John and Scarlet. Kristy and the old man who gave her presents. The Sierra Madre mountains. The Arizona border. Dylan in shades. The ship. The missile. Rattle."