Author Topic: The best thing (about U2 is this)  (Read 409 times)

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
The best thing (about U2 is this)
« on: August 01, 2017, 11:29:58 AM »
So after posting a negative thread, I thought I'd balance it out with a positive one. With all new U2 album releases, there are a few great things that can be guaranteed, because they happen every time:

The new great Anthem
That song that stands out in a stadium. A new Sunday Bloody Sunday. The next PRIDE. Streets. Elevation. MOFO. City of Blinding Lights. The Miracle wasn't the best one they've ever done, and their live playing of No Line on the Horizon was not their finest hour, so I hope this lives up to its previous glory and not its most recent incarnation.

The great darkness
That song that you enjoyed at first listen, and then you listened again and it's a beast, full of the darkest messages about he darkest topics. Bullet the blue sky. Surrender. BAD. One step closer. Acrobat. Sleep like a baby tonight. So Cruel. Wake up, Dead Man. Stuck in a moment. Here's hoping there will be another glorious moment of U2 inspired darkness.

The Irish one
That song that tells you something more about U2's origin in Ireland. Sunday, Bloody Sunday. Streets. Raised by wolves. Peace on earth. Please. Love is blindness. Van diemens land. So c'mon lads, green it up!

The great slow song
That song that slows it all down and pulls you in, reminding you that some of u2's finest moments are the ones that happen in the gaps between the hair standing moments. The Ocean. October. 40. MLK. Running to stand still. All I want is you. One. Velvet dress. Kite. Sometimes you can't make it on your own. Moment of surrender. Troubles. Here's to another lights out classic.

The religion song
While this might annoy some U2 fans, religion  - or, it's perversion - has inspired some of U2's finest work. Fire. Rejoice. I still haven't found what I'm looking for. With or without you. Desire. If God would send his angels. Grace. Yahweh. White as snow. Until the end of the world. Mysterious ways. The wanderer. Magnificent. WE may not always share your beliefs, but for the love of God, talk about the love of God!

The blatant political song
In the current political environment, this is especially exciting to me. Silver and Gold. Seconds. Like a song. Please. Winter. Peace on earth. When I look at the world. Walk On. Love and peace or else. Cedars of Lebanon. So go for it boys, Trumpify it!

The Experiment
That song where U2 tries something new - something that they've never tried before. Like the Uilleann pipes on Tomorrow. The keyboard driven ambiance of The Unforgettable fire. The introduction of harmonica for the first time on Trip through your wires. The horn section on Angel of harlem. The industrial grunge of Zoo Station. The loops on MOFO. The african beat on Breathe. The female vocal on Troubles. So please, find that producer you've never worked with before, try out that new instrument, and let us in the sound!

The song we all love to hate
Yeah, but everyone else might love it. Even better than the real thing, Discotheque, Beautiful Day, Vertigo, Get on your boots, Miracle, there will be a song we don't love. But it's OK, we'll love the rest.

The infuriatingly good song that was dropped
Why wasn't THAT on the album? Yashino Blossom, Luminous Times, Hallelujah here she comes, Lady with the spinning head, Hold me, Thrill me, Kiss me, Kill me, Holy Joe, Smile, Xanax and Wine, Crystal Ballroom, Mercy, Soon. Why were they dropped when they are better than half the songs on the album? So let's have a rarities record that's even better than the real thing!

The one that should have been the single
Why did they release THAT song when THIS one was so much better? Two hearts instead of Sunday, Bloody Sunday? I still haven't found what I'm looking for and not red hill mining town? When love comes to town and not Van diemens land? Even better than the real thing and not until the end of the world? Stuck in a moment and not kite? Unforgettable fire and not BAD? The Miracle and not the troubles? Infuriating.

The one they won't do live
Promenade, Red Hill Mining Town, Acrobat, When I look at the world, Sleep like a baby tonight, we all have that one we can't wait to hear live, and it just doesn't happen.

Anyway, we have it all to look forward to in the next few months. It's going to be awesome!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 12:45:37 PM by codeguy »

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
Re: The best thing (about U2 is this)
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 11:33:49 AM »
What a great post! One thing that stopped me dead in my tracks, though, was that you included Discotheque in the "song we all love to hate" category. It made me laugh and shake my head and just say "no, no no!".
Really a great post, though. Thanks.

Offline dan

• Stateless
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 12:06:09 PM »
Yep, great post, agreed with most of your sentiments, but as much as I like red hill mining town, I still haven't found what I'm looking for was a huge single for them. Admittedly I have heard it too many times now, and the live version doesn't have the energy of the original single.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 10:15:41 AM »
RHMT remains one of the most underappreciated U2 songs for me.