Author Topic: What is up (down) with the stage height?  (Read 461 times)

Offline satori-t

• Stranger in a Strange Land
What is up (down) with the stage height?
« on: August 02, 2017, 04:33:10 AM »
Phew! My wife and I just got back from a whirlwind trip - flying from Australia to Paris to see the second show. Loved it! Great atmosphere, the boys sounded great (Edge's slip-ups just make him more adoring), was mixed BEAUTIFULLY in my opinion, loved the visuals and it was a near-ideal setlist with a rare ASOH appearance. I nearly wet myself when Bono introduced the last song saying, "We're a band from Ireland..." as I have a soft-spot for OOC, turns out it was IWF but was a great way to go out on a high.

But... with all the talent, budget and production experience, why on earth couldn't they make the stage a foot or two higher? Visibility was atrocious. I am 5"11 and stood halfway between sounddesk and stage on right side (opp b-stage), and couldn't see the band for most of the show without getting up on tippy-toes. My poor wife relied on me picking her up to see anything most of the show. And because of the visuals, where you only saw video of the stage towards the end, meant we spent most of the show either looking at nothing or a pretty slide-show.

I came away feeling baffled that with such a great show, we barely saw the guys we came to see!

Offline d.darroch

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: What is up (down) with the stage height?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 07:32:36 AM »
I haven't seen the show (I'm from Oz too), but heard the stage was similar in height to other stadium tours. But it's a balancing act, make the stage any higher & the people in the front rows won't be able to see the band well. Already most people in the front row only see Larry from the chest up, if they're lucky.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 07:34:24 AM by d.darroch »

Offline Mr. Sarajevo 20

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 08:08:34 AM »
My understanding is that this stage is lower in height than the 360 stage.

Online Aprilshack

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 08:26:44 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
My understanding is that this stage is lower in height than the 360 stage.

Amsterdam it seemed really high. I spoke to the guy next to me who had been to a few shows and it seems the stage height is up or down depending on the venue?!

Offline very good

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 09:17:27 AM »
The b stage was way too low in paris. Main stage seemed a decent height to me.

Offline monopoly

• Numb
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 01:56:37 PM »
These are the same heights as 360.

Offline 73October

• Party Girl/Boy
  • A hurricane being born
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2017, 02:06:15 PM »
The stage was a bit up and down with all these podiums.  I was near the end of the b-stage on the RZ side at London and could only really see Larry from upper chest upwards and Bono when he went to Larry's podium to play the harmonica during TTYW.  Couldn't see the Edge or Adam even on the podiums as too many people in front/too high.

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
  • She moves in mysterious ways
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 03:55:11 PM »
Thats why I prefer arenas I had the same problem at 360 tour I was in RZ and had a stiff neck looking up for the entire show. Stages are too high in stadiums
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 01:43:51 PM by mariamontreal »

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 04:46:50 PM »
The main stage was ok but the b stage was way too low. If you are more than about 30 people away from it you saw nothing.
Why not have footage on the screen or part of the screen like the support act screen.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 06:44:33 AM »
I'm sure they want the b-stage low to be intimate with the crowd--otherwise, they'd be towering over the audience.  I was in the stands, stage right, and the main stage seemed pretty off the floor, but probably pretty standard for stadium stages.

Offline jgrooms

• Wanderer
  • Hello
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 03:24:22 PM »
Why not have footage on the screen or part of the screen like the support act screen.

U2 wanted it this way.  From Projection Lights and Staging News...

Willie Williams:

“I looked at the ‘87 stadium stage, which was essentially a festival proscenium stage with a painted backdrop and PA scrims, and was very keen to encompass at least a little of that spirit in the new design. A proscenium stage is so out of fashion now that part of me wondered if U2 could do something interesting to reinvent it for the 21st century, but ultimately the sight lines just don’t work for today’s outdoor stadium shows.

There was no video on the ‘87 tour. We played two nights at Wembley Stadium with a painted backdrop, so recapturing the ‘maximum minimalism’ spirit was important.

“In the end, what we have designed appears to be just that, a great big plywood backdrop with a Joshua Tree painted on it as Act I of the show is played with no video reinforcement. U2 design these enormously elaborate stage effects not because they have to, but simply because they want to. They can still play with nothing at all.”

Full Article:
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 03:26:36 PM by jgrooms »

Offline monopoly

• Numb
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2017, 04:40:02 PM »
The main stage was ok but the b stage was way too low. If you are more than about 30 people away from it you saw nothing.

So if you were at the main stage, could you see the tree stage?