Author Topic: Liam Gallagher having a dig at u2 again  (Read 1464 times)

Offline renno

• Headache in a Suitcase
Liam Gallagher having a dig at u2 again
« on: August 02, 2017, 05:03:46 AM »
Liam's having another pop at u2 again

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Think he is missing the point that u2 have done everything they have done their way not by constantly being in the press or living the so called rock n roll lifestyle. Think that's what makes u2's achievements more special, let's face it a band with 3 born again christians in and being very clean cut being the biggest band in the world doesn't add up in today's society. But u2 done it and they did it their way.

Plus Liam's got a new record coming out so he knows slagging u2 off will get him some press. He ain't stupid.

Love oasis myself. 2nd favourite band. in the uk I'd 100% say oasis in their prime were bigger then u2. They changed Britain really. Only the uk though. They were big elsewhere but in England they were untouchable. Never really made it in the states did they. Honestly don't think they could be bothered putting the work in touring wise. They could of and should of done it but they didn't.

Offline Yaro

• Wanderer
  • Everything you know is wrong
Re: Liam Gallagher having a dig at u2 again
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 05:34:05 AM »
He comes across as  complete idiot..just fool..<Im walking the streets,keeping it real >  ?? Lol,really ? give me a break ..narcissist in heart, really,  he knows more he talks about U2 more attention he gets from media & press..why isnt he talking about Tom Petty or Def Leppard ?? nobody would care..I loved the story of Sharon Osbourne and her U2 encounter few yrs back..
Ozzy Osbourne's wife and manager Sharon says that she felt "terrible" when she had a chance encounter with U2 only weeks after she slammed the Irish rockers for teaming with Apple to put the band's new album,and coming towards Ozzy and I were U2, all four of them. And I'm, like, 'Oh, no. Here it goes. They are gonna lay into me.' And they were so absolutely lovely. They hugged and kissed me. They hugged Ozzy. And then when Ozzy finished doing his part of the show, he went back to the dressing room, and they'd written him a letter and they'd all signed it. What a classy act.[I felt] terrible. But I did try to explain to them, 'It isn't personal. This is just business. I don't wish you any harm. You're all good people. But this is just the business end.' But it's hard."

Offline the_chief

• Refugee
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 06:28:03 AM »

Think he is missing the point that u2 have done everything they have done their way not by constantly being in the press or living the so called rock n roll lifestyle. Think that's what makes u2's achievements more special, let's face it a band with 3 born again christians in and being very clean cut being the biggest band in the world doesn't add up in today's society. But u2 done it and they did it their way.

Plus Liam's got a new record coming out so he knows slagging u2 off will get him some press. He ain't stupid.

Love oasis myself. 2nd favourite band. in the uk I'd 100% say oasis in their prime were bigger then u2. They changed Britain really. Only the uk though. They were big elsewhere but in England they were untouchable. Never really made it in the states did they. Honestly don't think they could be bothered putting the work in touring wise. They could of and should of done it but they didn't.

Bigger than U2, even though they never made it as big in the rest of the world as U2 and their album Definitely Maybe hasn't sold as much as Achtung Baby and WTSMG hasn't sold as much as The Joshua Tree?

Mate, I'm such a massive Oasis fan that I know the lyrics, melody notes, chords, riffs, solos to every single Oasis song, that has ever been written, including Noel's solo tracks but, I can't help but disagree with you on this. I think you're wrong.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 06:48:36 AM »
Oasis at their albeit quite short peak of popularity were much bigger in Britain than U2 ever were - it would be churlish to argue otherwise.

Does not necessarily mean they were better, or it does not reflect on worldwide appeal - but for that short period when Oasis were at the peak of their popularity in Britain, it was a peak of popularity u2 had never or never would enjoy one as high as in Britain.

What's the Story is the 5th biggest selling album of all time in the UK, U2's best comes in at number 36, with almost half as many sales.

Oasis also have two songs in the million plus selling single list - Wonderwall and DLBIA - U2 have none.

They were front page, headline news....

All that said though i prefer the bands i love to be  a bit more 'underground' and less public property and whilst u2 weren't really underground as such they still had an element of being a little bit so up to TJT.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 07:09:40 AM by an tha »

Offline renno

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 07:05:53 AM »

Bigger than U2, even though they never made it as big in the rest of the world as U2 and their album Definitely Maybe hasn't sold as much as Achtung Baby and WTSMG hasn't sold as much as The Joshua Tree?

Mate, I'm such a massive Oasis fan that I know the lyrics, melody notes, chords, riffs, solos to every single Oasis song, that has ever been written, including Noel's solo tracks but, I can't help but disagree with you on this. I think you're wrong.

Not sure if you mis read my post but I said in England not worldwide. In England oasis had such a big impact on British culture. I've never seen anything like it in my time. They were a huge band but they got so big not just cause of the music but because they were headline news all the time. They were on the news, front pages for loads of different things. Which made them even more bigger to the regular man

It's not just how popualr the music is it's what's happening in society and for a couple of years a lot of people on the streets thought they were in oasis. From fashion to even the way people walked it was such a great period for British music and oasis were riding high on it

96/97 was probably oasis's peak, be here now when it came out was ridiculously huge. But still oasis were supporting u2 in the states. Worldwide oasis don't come in the same sentence as u2 but in Britain Oasis are bigger
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 07:14:10 AM by renno »

Offline the_chief

• Refugee
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 07:16:04 AM »

Not sure if you mis read my post but I said in England not worldwide. In England oasis had such a big impact on British culture. I've never seen anything like it in my time. They were a huge band but they got so big not just cause of the music but because they were headline news all the time. They were on the news, front pages for loads of different things. Which made them even more bigger to the regular man

It's not just how popualr the music is it's what's happening in society and for a couple of years a lot of people on the streets thought they were in oasis. From fashion to even the way people walked it was such a great period for British music and oasis were riding high on it

96/97 was probably oasis's peak, be here now when it came out was ridiculously huge. But still oasis were supporting u2 in the states. Worldwide oasis don't come in the same sentence as u2 but in Britain Oasis are bigger

Gotcha.
Thought you meant worldwide.
Worldwide, it's no contest. UK, they hit a peak U2 didn't

Although, 4 nights at Wembley Stadium is nowt to be sneezed at.

Lots of bands in the UK that were extremely popular but, never had the impact on the otherside of the Atlantic. Fascinating to think why
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 07:18:28 AM by the_chief »

Offline DoYouFeelLoved

• Refugee
  • Holy Dunc Space Junk
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2017, 07:17:56 AM »
Oasis at their albeit quite short peak of popularity were much bigger in Britain than U2 ever were - it would be churlish to argue otherwise.

Does not necessarily mean they were better, or it does not reflect on worldwide appeal - but for that short period when Oasis were at the peak of their popularity in Britain, it was a peak of popularity u2 had never or never would enjoy one as high as in Britain.

What's the Story is the 5th biggest selling album of all time in the UK, U2's best comes in at number 36, with almost half as many sales.

Oasis also have two songs in the million plus selling single list - Wonderwall and DLBIA - U2 have none.
It's undeniable that Oasis at their peak were three times much more popular than U2 has ever been in the UK: their influence extended not only to music but to fashion and culture. They were insanely massive.

But (correct me if I'm wrong) I have noticed that nowadays pretty much no one cares about them...

Perhaps it's due to the fact that they flooded the media so much at the time that people got fed up.
Liam's antics didn't help.

Very few cares about Noel's solo work (and it's a shame, cause it's brilliant), more less about Liam's new album.

Teenagers and 20 something don't listen to them, some of them barely know who they are.

It's like Oasis legacy was a "plastic" legacy.

Will they be remembered in 20 years time? (genuine question, I'm a big fan...)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 07:21:01 AM by DoYouFeelLoved »

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 08:18:23 AM »
Not sure it matters whether U2 or Oasis were bigger in Britain.  The interview is funny, a mix of incisive criticism and outlandish rubbish.  I think  he's trying to say that U2 have never really let their hair down and lived a rock 'n' roll lifestyle: "“But they need to do something. Have they ever broken a pencil? Have they ever stuck a rubber up their nose? They don’t seem to do f*** all, except for take big pay cheques.”  The concept of "keeping it real" is a bit harder to prove; I suppose Liam is trying to say he's stuck steadfastly to his working-class roots, but he doesn't seem short of a pay cheque or two either.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 08:20:04 AM »

It's undeniable that Oasis at their peak were three times much more popular than U2 has ever been in the UK: their influence extended not only to music but to fashion and culture. They were insanely massive.

But (correct me if I'm wrong) I have noticed that nowadays pretty much no one cares about them...

Perhaps it's due to the fact that they flooded the media so much at the time that people got fed up.

Very few cares about Noel's solo work (and it's a shame, cause it's brilliant), more less about Liam's new album.

Teenagers and 20 something don't listen to them, some of them barely know who they are.

I think some things are just very much "of their time" and don't translate especially well outside of that time....

It is possible Oasis fall squarely into that category

Offline renno

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2017, 08:22:06 AM »

Noel is doing well with his solo work selling out arenas all over the country. Liam's new single has gone down very well.

Oasis will always be remembered here. If they got back together it would be the same as the stone roses but bigger. The roses are bigger now then they ever were. Oasis probably couldn't ever get bigger then what they was. If they got back together it would be huge. I would say a lot of youngsters are listening to them the same way as there listening to the stone roses.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2017, 08:28:30 AM »
Not sure it matters whether U2 or Oasis were bigger in Britain.  The interview is funny, a mix of incisive criticism and outlandish rubbish.  I think  he's trying to say that U2 have never really let their hair down and lived a rock 'n' roll lifestyle: "“But they need to do something. Have they ever broken a pencil? Have they ever stuck a rubber up their nose? They don’t seem to do f*** all, except for take big pay cheques.”  The concept of "keeping it real" is a bit harder to prove; I suppose Liam is trying to say he's stuck steadfastly to his working-class roots, but he doesn't seem short of a pay cheque or two either.

It does not matter apart from as a relatively interestingish discussion piece in here - but the answer to be fair is very, very obvious and it really isn't even close.....but in the general scheme of things it isn't important i agree.

As for Liam's comments - they are just classic Liam and should be taken with a big pinch of salt.......he is a caricature, a cartoon figure and there is nothing wrong with that, rock n roll is silly, it is larger than life and detached from reality and rock stars talking sh**e and acting up is all a a part of the game and the nature of it.....

U2's public image probably is a bit too serious, they have come across a bit pompous down the years - even pious......It is a pretty closely guarded and well honed image as well - but then on the other hand Liam's cartoonish, loudmouth, rock n roll caricature is just as equally well honed and closely and carefully guarded.......Different strokes and all that I suppose...and of course the masks they wear in public are almost certainly going to be different to how they all really are or have lot's of differences....

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2017, 08:47:23 AM »

It does not matter apart from as a relatively interestingish discussion piece in here - but the answer to be fair is very, very obvious and it really isn't even close.....but in the general scheme of things it isn't important i agree.

As for Liam's comments - they are just classic Liam and should be taken with a big pinch of salt.......he is a caricature, a cartoon figure and there is nothing wrong with that, rock n roll is silly, it is larger than life and detached from reality and rock stars talking sh**e and acting up is all a a part of the game and the nature of it.....

U2's public image probably is a bit too serious, they have come across a bit pompous down the years - even pious......It is a pretty closely guarded and well honed image as well - but then on the other hand Liam's cartoonish, loudmouth, rock n roll caricature is just as equally well honed and closely and carefully guarded.......Different strokes and all that I suppose...and of course the masks they wear in public are almost certainly going to be different to how they all really are or have lot's of differences....

I think U2 have tried very hard from the early 90s onwards to dismantle the pious and serious image they had attained in the 80s.  But Liam has a point – everything they’ve done has been very controlled indeed.  Apart from Adam missing a show in 1993 because he was too drunk there’s been no genuine "rock ‘n’ roll" incidents I can recall.  I personally don’t care how “rock n roll” they are, but I think this is the image of U2 that Liam is trying to dismantle in the interview – and using it to have a go at his brother.

Offline BalconyTV

• Numb
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2017, 08:52:42 AM »
He's having a laugh. I think it's an act personally. I have no problem with it.

Offline kinsella

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2017, 09:03:46 AM »

LOL

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2017, 09:04:13 AM »
I can't remember who said it, but didn't one of u2's longtime crew members state that 'rock n roll was wasted on them'. U2 readily admit they aren't rock n rollers in the traditional sense of alcohol, groupies and drugs etc. They find that side of rock n roll cliche. Too unintelligent for them I guess.

So I imagine that side of rock n roll sits perfectly with the dim witted cliche that is Liam Gallagher.