Author Topic: Liam Gallagher having a dig at u2 again  (Read 1951 times)

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
Re: Liam Gallagher having a dig at u2 again
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2017, 01:01:47 PM »
I mean, he's right. U2 aren't to any stretch of the imagination a rock-n-roll band.

Pretty lame insult.

Offline the_chief

• Refugee
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2017, 01:07:44 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I mean, he's right. U2 aren't to any stretch of the imagination a rock-n-roll band.

Pretty lame insult.

I don't know what to label them as tbh.

They've done Rock n Roll, Pop, Blues, Industrial dance, Electronic, Dance, Acoustic, Folk, Ballads,

Like The Beatles, they're impossible to put in a genre

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2017, 01:26:50 PM »

Pretty lame insult.

I don't know what to label them as tbh.

They've done Rock n Roll, Pop, Blues, Industrial dance, Electronic, Dance, Acoustic, Folk, Ballads,

Like The Beatles, they're impossible to put in a genre

That's what makes Liam's argument pointless. U2 aren't even trying to be a rock-n-roll band.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2017, 01:27:32 PM »
I can't remember who said it, but didn't one of u2's longtime crew members state that 'rock n roll was wasted on them'. U2 readily admit they aren't rock n rollers in the traditional sense of alcohol, groupies and drugs etc. They find that side of rock n roll cliche. Too unintelligent for them I guess.

So I imagine that side of rock n roll sits perfectly with the dim witted cliche that is Liam Gallagher.

Maybe not as extreme as rockers but, U2 don't half knock back the booze and they were quite fond of their dope and ecstasy at one point
really? I've always wondered about U2's drug use and kind of assumed Adam was the only one who smoke weed and Bono liked his red wine.  Dispointed that in Bono on Bono he didn't really go there.

Adam was arrested for possession in Ireland in the 90's. Bono smokes cigars, drinks wine heavily until the wee hours on many occasions, Larry loves his motorcycles, etc., they're no saints for sure, but where is it written in the constitution of Rock N Roll that you have to self-destruct? If U2 did self-destruct, the chances are it would have been around the early 90's, and we would have missed out on their most creative period.

It's funny, for a medium that's supposed to be about free expression, you sure see a lot of people who only think their kind of free expression is allowed!

Offline Spaderholic

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2017, 04:00:23 PM »
He's having a laugh. I think it's an act personally. I have no problem with it.

Very much an act. I remember, back in 1997, having a conversation with Fran Healy whose band Travis had supported Oasis on tour that year. They got to hang out with the band backstage and I remember Fran saying that Liam was so different to how he'd imagined him to be. He said when Liam was in front of the press and cameras he would be acting up in the way we all expected him to act, being all bolshy, loud mouthed and cocky and with all the swagger, as if he felt it was the way to be, with the image the band had and he was just playing along with it. The moment the cameras were gone though Fran said Liam would "switch off" the act and he was like a different person! He was chilled out, funny, much more toned down and almost "polite", if that's possible! Lol. Fran was surprised because he never expected Liam to be like that. Fran is (or at least was back then, having seen him for years) a really chilled out, calm, almost introverted and spiritual person and he didn't think he and Liam would hit it off at all, but they got on really well. By all accounts though Liam and Noel together was/is a bad combination, they just wind each other up, big time.

Some people say Liam is the trouble maker and Noel is cool, whilst others say the opposite, so who knows? I remember reading an interview with the original Oasis drummer, Tony McCarroll, who was booted out of the band after the first album. He said Noel was the problem for him and made life hell for him. He said Liam was really cool and he had no gripe with Liam, he was a cool guy but Noel had a really nasty, mean streak about him and liked to belittle Liam and everyone else and make them feel inferior to him! How much of that is true, who knows? Tony definitely put his ousting from the band on Noel though and not Liam, which is interesting considering Oasis had actually been Liam's band. Liam founded the group and Noel joined later. Of course Noel's excellent song-writing skills made the band as big as they became, although Liam was certainly the voice and attitude of the band. It does sound like Liam and Noel just aren't meant to be in a band together though, as their personalities just clash too much.

Liam certainly unnecessarily acts like a prized prat at times, in public. In a recent interview I listened to online, that he did in LA with Zane Lowe, he said he admits he has a mischievous side and likes to wind Noel up on Twitter just for the fun of it. He likes to get a reaction out of him, although he also said it was his way of reminding Noel that he's "still here and isn't going anywhere" because Noel just doesn't contact him anymore. I think Liam sounded a bit sad that he has no relationship with Noel anymore, for whatever reason, and whoever is at fault. Maybe they both are. Anyway, if Liam likes to tease Noel just for the fun of it he's probably doing the same with U2. He clearly gets his kicks out of trying to wind people up. Sounds like he's still a big kid, by all accounts!

He does make me chuckle with some of his comments though. In that interview he said something like: "If anyone wants to hear Oasis songs performed properly come to my gigs - Noel is doing them like Dolly Parton!" :D
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 04:28:35 PM by Spaderholic »

Offline 73October

• Numb
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2017, 04:08:06 PM »
He's having a laugh. I think it's an act personally. I have no problem with it.

He does make me chuckle with some of his comments though. In that interview he said something like: "If anyone wants to hear Oasis songs performed properly come to my gigs - Noel is doing them like Dolly Parton!" :D

Made me laugh - I know Noel sounds quite tame and countrified on the European leg of the tour.  To give him his due - he didn't do a 10 minute ramble about the song before each one though.  But the idea of Noel in drag sounds fun.  Especially when you throw the Dalton Brothers in as well.

Offline Luzita

• Wanderer
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2017, 05:16:17 PM »
I can't remember who said it, but didn't one of u2's longtime crew members state that 'rock n roll was wasted on them'. U2 readily admit they aren't rock n rollers in the traditional sense of alcohol, groupies and drugs etc. They find that side of rock n roll cliche. Too unintelligent for them I guess.

So I imagine that side of rock n roll sits perfectly with the dim witted cliche that is Liam Gallagher.

Maybe not as extreme as rockers but, U2 don't half knock back the booze and they were quite fond of their dope and ecstasy at one point

Is this true ? The bit about ecstasy and dope?

Ha, what do you think Discotheque is about?

Is there some documentation somewhere (other than what you might infer from a song) that U2 did dope and ecstasy? Other than Edge and his mushrooms, I haven't seen anything about anyone but Adam doing drugs. Other than alcohol, of course. And smoking, which is so stupid.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2017, 06:36:36 PM »
With all the rock stars we've lost to "rock and roll" antics, he's really going on about this?  Who really cares what they do in their free time, as though that's some measure of how rock and roll they are?  I personally respect them for being stars but doing it their way.

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2017, 07:34:26 PM »
Both Liam and Noel are full of soundbytes that the media love. In their prime they spilt opinion like no other band has or probably ever will.  It is different to the love/hate relationships that bands such as U2 generate, with Oasis you either loved them or hated them, but you had an opinion on them.

Its a fallacy to say that the country was singing Oasis songs in the mid to late 90's, people were interested in the relationship between Noel and Liam more than the songs, they regularly appeared on the national news because they had a fight at a certain location or cancelled a gig (or even a full tour) . Bands like Pulp, The Manics, Radiohead, The Verve, and Blur all had albums as popular to the domestic scene as Oasis and songs that were sung by the masses across genres (As did Robbie Williams and Spice girls  :-\)  but these artists didn't get the column inches. The appreciation for Oasis tunes came after they went away, or to put it bluntly, STF up!  Today the songs can be appreciated without all the chaos surrounding them and are pretty good tunes. In a nutshell, they were a class act but total dicks.

You cant help but feel that they just didn't know how good they had it at the time, it seems like Noel has learned but Liam has resorted to the same boring old behaviour, maybe to disguise the fact that he needs to rhyme every other sentence to be able to hold a tune together!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 07:36:35 PM by Blueyedboy »

Offline two hearts

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2017, 01:53:35 AM »
Oasis-  A poor man's Verve

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2017, 08:23:16 AM »
I think Bono had to stop drinking wine due to an allergy. I know Bono smoked weed on occasion, at least in the past. Not sure if giving up weed was part of Adam's sobriety or not, as he too was doing it as late as 1997. The story about Edge and the mushrooms suggests to me that was a rare thing for him, and Larry is such a health nut I don't see him doing a lot of drugs.

That being said, I think all of them except Adam drink like fish, and I think they all now smoke, other than Adam, which is hilarious.
The allergy to red wine i took as a joke.  There's nothing in wine that is an allergen.
Quite the opposite-your statement is a joke..every red and white wine has sulfites-allergen preservative -which many people are allergic to(including me) In United States there is a start up company that sells filters to rid wine of sulfites  (those play a big part in next morning's hangover). I dont know how you came about info they all smoke..?? Bono hasn't been photographed with his bellowed cigarillos for yrs n yrs now.. He does drink red wine and beer and occasionally bloody marys and Edge drinks Scotch and Cognac..Larry for years is the healthiest of health  nuts-jogging and exercising 7 x  a week
Actually no, I've been a QA Manager at a food beverage facility and gone through many FDA audits.  Sulfites are not on the FDA list of Big 8 Allergens.  Yes, some people are sensitive to sulfites, but the list of items that people CAN be sensitive to is quite staggering and the actuality is very limited.  Its rare to find allergens in beverages other than specialty beverages.  Having a wife who owns a bakery, i hear quite a lot of items that people claim they are sensitive to and given my knowledge on it i kind of have to take it with a grain of salt. People tend to be more into health trends than anything else is what i see, which are about as effective as trend diets.  That being said, when Bono makes the comment that he ends up on the floor after a night of drinking red wine due to his allergy to it, i thought it was an obvious joke that he has too much to drink.

I heard him say it and it wasn't in a joking way. And with all respect to your professional credentials, people can be allergic to just about anything. I'm allergic to saltwater fish. People look at me like I am crazy when I tell them that I can eat shrimp and clams and other animals from the sea, and I can eat freshwater fish like catfish, but I cannot eat cod, grouper. etc. Moreover, I can't eat anything that has been cooked with saltwater fish. If I go to a restaurant that fries fish with their chicken or fries, the chicken and fries will make me sick.

So while I hear what you are saying, it is still entirely possible that there's something weird about Bono's system that causes him to be allergic to red wine. Or, he might have been kidding, but when I heard him say it, he was talking about some mystery headaches he was having. It didn't sound like a joke.

As for the smoking, not all that long ago Bono remarked how funny it was that Adam used to chain smoke and the rest of them slipped them on occasion, and now Adam is the only one who doesn't smoke at all. In the Rolling Stone cover story from a couple of years ago, Bono and Ali are described as sharing a cigarette together in a bar. So there you go.

Offline the_chief

• Refugee
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2017, 08:43:37 AM »

Is there some documentation somewhere (other than what you might infer from a song) that U2 did dope and ecstasy? Other than Edge and his mushrooms, I haven't seen anything about anyone but Adam doing drugs. Other than alcohol, of course. And smoking, which is so stupid.

There is no documentation ffs :D
Drug use is not documented. Least not if you don't want it to be

But, all you have to do is go back and look at interviews during the mid 90s, when Bono and The Edge were hitting raves and club. They done it.
Also, lyrics in Discotheque are about ecstasy. Granted, there is a bigger theme to the song but, some lyrics are about ecstasy

Plenty of footage of Larry in the 90's smoking massive cigars too.

I don't see why they have to be clean cut...Great guys, great band, heroes.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 08:47:58 AM by the_chief »

Offline Luzita

• Wanderer
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2017, 12:07:16 PM »

There is no documentation ffs :D
Drug use is not documented. Least not if you don't want it to be

But, all you have to do is go back and look at interviews during the mid 90s, when Bono and The Edge were hitting raves and club. They done it.
Also, lyrics in Discotheque are about ecstasy. Granted, there is a bigger theme to the song but, some lyrics are about ecstasy

Plenty of footage of Larry in the 90's smoking massive cigars too.

I don't see why they have to be clean cut...Great guys, great band, heroes.

Ok, not documents as in signed testimonials. Just if they admitted to it in an interview, or someone close to them says they did it. (Or they got busted, like Adam did, but obviously that didn't happen or we'd all know.)

Not that weed and E are that terrible, but I would be disappointed in them if they did that stuff. I'm happy to have them buck the rock n roll expectations of idiots like Liam.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2017, 01:55:37 PM »
Why do people here freak out at the idea of anyone in U2 drinking, smoking or using drugs? It doesn't make them bad people. I'd be far more disappointed if they cheated on their significant others than if they 'tasted the pizza' on occasion, as Bono has put it.

Adam appears to be the only member of U2 who ever had a problem with addiction, and we thank God he got through it and got healthy. There's video out there of every single member of U2 smoking. There was a story written by a reporter who interviewed Bono during the recording of Pop, and he said Adam walked in with a brick of hashish and Bono rolled and smoked a joint.

Who cares? They are people. They have money. As long as they don't hurt anyone ...

Offline fardreamer

• Child of Grace
  • The best things are easy to destroy
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2017, 03:26:28 PM »
W h o c a r e s?