Author Topic: Liam Gallagher having a dig at u2 again  (Read 1463 times)

Offline Luzita

• Babyface
Re: Liam Gallagher having a dig at u2 again
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2017, 04:35:23 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Why do people here freak out at the idea of anyone in U2 drinking, smoking or using drugs? It doesn't make them bad people. I'd be far more disappointed if they cheated on their significant others than if they 'tasted the pizza' on occasion, as Bono has put it.

Adam appears to be the only member of U2 who ever had a problem with addiction, and we thank God he got through it and got healthy. There's video out there of every single member of U2 smoking. There was a story written by a reporter who interviewed Bono during the recording of Pop, and he said Adam walked in with a brick of hashish and Bono rolled and smoked a joint.

Who cares? They are people. They have money. As long as they don't hurt anyone ...

Is this comment directed at me? Did I freak out at the idea of U2 drinking, smoking, or using drugs? I don't believe I did. I have no problem with them drinking, and sometimes getting drunk, as long as they don't become alcoholics. I wish they wouldn't smoke because it isn't healthy but I'm not freaking out about it. I never said I thought doing drugs made them bad people. In fact I said "not that E and weed are that terrible." But I want U2 to defy the mythology that says you can't be a cool rock star without getting wasted all the time. Because it is truly a very destructive mythology, both for musicians and for those who admire them.

I just read an old thread on the Interference board about whether U2 are drug free. It was often hilarious. People would site "evidence" of U2's drug use such as, look in such-and-such a photo, Larry is *clearly* holding a joint; or, watch Bono's eyes in such-and-such a video, he was *obviously* doing coke; and so on. The funniest was someone recalling an article that said Bono did hash, and someone else tracking it down and discovering the reference was to Swedish hash, which consists of fried potatoes, meat, and eggs.

You say "who cares"? The truth is lots of people care, both for and against. Someone said a thread about U2's drug use comes up every year on that board, and is never settled because almost everything is speculation. Many posts were clearly made by people who *wanted* to believe that U2 have done drugs, lots of drugs, serious drugs, man. That's what rock stars are supposed to do -- get stoned out of their minds, sleep around, trash hotel rooms, blah blah etc. etc. As one poster put it, rock stars have the opportunity to "live the dream." Some people find it disappointing that U2 might have passed that up. They're resentful towards the band, even downright hostile, if they think U2's lifestyle is too clean. I've seen this not only online but in person.

As a young band, U2 were outspokenly anti-drug, even though it was considered uncool. I realize that was during their ascetic spiritual phase and they let down their hair a bit later on, but I would like to believe they did not entirely abandon their ideals. That is why I am interested in how much of the "of course they did drugs!" is actually correct.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 04:39:50 PM by Luzita »

Offline Mark72

• Stateless
  • Modern Life Is Rubbish
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2017, 03:52:17 AM »
Oops...whats the phrase. "Those who give it....

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

howyousawtheworld

« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2017, 08:55:18 AM »
Can't believe Liam Gallagher's still relevant - let's be honest, he's only ever been freeloading off the songwriting talents of his brother and has been living off that ever since. Do you think this might be the Liam Gallagher album where he's influenced by something other than The Beatles and John Lennon? At least the good news is that Gem Archer is no longer with him so the only way is up from that perspective I suppose. The bad news is that Gem Archer is now with Noel Gallagher. But the good news is that Gem Archer, in touring with U2 as part of Noel's band, finally gets to listen to what good music sounds like. Then he might just realise how terrible Heavy Stereo was...along with his generic dull, insipid guitar 'playing'.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 08:58:08 AM by howyousawtheworld »

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2017, 10:40:58 AM »
Can't believe Liam Gallagher's still relevant - let's be honest, he's only ever been freeloading off the songwriting talents of his brother and has been living off that ever since. Do you think this might be the Liam Gallagher album where he's influenced by something other than The Beatles and John Lennon? At least the good news is that Gem Archer is no longer with him so the only way is up from that perspective I suppose. The bad news is that Gem Archer is now with Noel Gallagher. But the good news is that Gem Archer, in touring with U2 as part of Noel's band, finally gets to listen to what good music sounds like. Then he might just realise how terrible Heavy Stereo was...along with his generic dull, insipid guitar 'playing'.
There are plenty of Oasis albums where other bands are ripped off other than the Beatles.  Don't Believe the Truth is heavy on the Velvet Underground sound.  Not much of an Oasis fan I take it.  I still think they're amazing.  Three of their albums would pass as a greatest hits record as every track is classic.  Never released a bad album- i hope they finally get their act together and reform.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2017, 03:48:17 PM »
Why do people here freak out at the idea of anyone in U2 drinking, smoking or using drugs? It doesn't make them bad people. I'd be far more disappointed if they cheated on their significant others than if they 'tasted the pizza' on occasion, as Bono has put it.

Adam appears to be the only member of U2 who ever had a problem with addiction, and we thank God he got through it and got healthy. There's video out there of every single member of U2 smoking. There was a story written by a reporter who interviewed Bono during the recording of Pop, and he said Adam walked in with a brick of hashish and Bono rolled and smoked a joint.

Who cares? They are people. They have money. As long as they don't hurt anyone ...

Is this comment directed at me? Did I freak out at the idea of U2 drinking, smoking, or using drugs? I don't believe I did. I have no problem with them drinking, and sometimes getting drunk, as long as they don't become alcoholics. I wish they wouldn't smoke because it isn't healthy but I'm not freaking out about it. I never said I thought doing drugs made them bad people. In fact I said "not that E and weed are that terrible." But I want U2 to defy the mythology that says you can't be a cool rock star without getting wasted all the time. Because it is truly a very destructive mythology, both for musicians and for those who admire them.

I just read an old thread on the Interference board about whether U2 are drug free. It was often hilarious. People would site "evidence" of U2's drug use such as, look in such-and-such a photo, Larry is *clearly* holding a joint; or, watch Bono's eyes in such-and-such a video, he was *obviously* doing coke; and so on. The funniest was someone recalling an article that said Bono did hash, and someone else tracking it down and discovering the reference was to Swedish hash, which consists of fried potatoes, meat, and eggs.

You say "who cares"? The truth is lots of people care, both for and against. Someone said a thread about U2's drug use comes up every year on that board, and is never settled because almost everything is speculation. Many posts were clearly made by people who *wanted* to believe that U2 have done drugs, lots of drugs, serious drugs, man. That's what rock stars are supposed to do -- get stoned out of their minds, sleep around, trash hotel rooms, blah blah etc. etc. As one poster put it, rock stars have the opportunity to "live the dream." Some people find it disappointing that U2 might have passed that up. They're resentful towards the band, even downright hostile, if they think U2's lifestyle is too clean. I've seen this not only online but in person.

As a young band, U2 were outspokenly anti-drug, even though it was considered uncool. I realize that was during their ascetic spiritual phase and they let down their hair a bit later on, but I would like to believe they did not entirely abandon their ideals. That is why I am interested in how much of the "of course they did drugs!" is actually correct.

Absolutely not. If it were directed at you, I would have quoted you, but this happens here all the time. Someone will reference the Adam incident or any story about U2 and drugs, and often there are people who are either shocked, hurt, or both.

I agree with you about one thing: we really don't know. There are people who, rather pessimistically, I think, believe everyone in U2 did the drug thing as often as any other band of the era and kept it quiet to protect their image. I don't believe that. At the same time though, I also don't believe they'd never done anything harder than alcohol and smoking. We know that isn't true of Adam, and there's at least interview where Bono says he experimented. "I've sampled the pizza" I believe was how he put it.

Personally, I think the experimentation was brief and limited, and that Adam is 100 percent clean now and the other three occasionally grab a smoke and drink like fish.

As for the hash thing, I remember an interviewer say he saw Adam 'produce a brick of hashish'. I don't think that was referring to food. :)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 03:49:58 PM by Saint1322 »

howyousawtheworld

« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2017, 03:56:16 PM »
There are plenty of Oasis albums where other bands are ripped off other than the Beatles.  Don't Believe the Truth is heavy on the Velvet Underground sound.  Not much of an Oasis fan I take it.  I still think they're amazing.  Three of their albums would pass as a greatest hits record as every track is classic.  Never released a bad album- i hope they finally get their act together and reform.

I am a fan. Nothing near my brother in terms of fandom but I like them. Their first two albums along with their b/sides/Masterplan cd are superb and amongst some of the best songwriting British pop music's ever heard. Post 2000 they had the odd Noel tune that was brilliant (as well as Liam's Songbird) but the decision to hire Andy Bell and Gem Archer was comical and their self penned songs on the last Oasis album were just that. Granted, Andy Bell had a considerable career before with Ride but Gem Archer? The word charlatan comes to mind. The sort of guy who buys all the expensive guitar gear, wears the look on stage but forgets two crucial things, in that he can't play nor write songs.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 04:00:48 PM by howyousawtheworld »

Offline Luzita

• Babyface
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2017, 05:22:21 PM »

Absolutely not. If it were directed at you, I would have quoted you, but this happens here all the time. Someone will reference the Adam incident or any story about U2 and drugs, and often there are people who are either shocked, hurt, or both.

I agree with you about one thing: we really don't know. There are people who, rather pessimistically, I think, believe everyone in U2 did the drug thing as often as any other band of the era and kept it quiet to protect their image. I don't believe that. At the same time though, I also don't believe they'd never done anything harder than alcohol and smoking. We know that isn't true of Adam, and there's at least interview where Bono says he experimented. "I've sampled the pizza" I believe was how he put it.

Personally, I think the experimentation was brief and limited, and that Adam is 100 percent clean now and the other three occasionally grab a smoke and drink like fish.

As for the hash thing, I remember an interviewer say he saw Adam 'produce a brick of hashish'. I don't think that was referring to food. :)

I think you are probably right they experimented but, hopefully, not a lot. Or with hard drugs. I am catching up on what they've been doing the past 25 years or so, which is why I was asking about evidence regarding drug use. I checked out the "pizza" comment in the Rolling Stone article:

Interviewer: So you got into, like, the usual rock & roll problems of money and drugs and success.
Bono: Well, I'm not gonna explain them in detail. I just I had a taste of the pizza.

That's quite a vague response on Bono's part because he could be talking just about the money and success part, but it does sound as if that pizza featured exotic ingredients.

Regarding the brick of hash, yes, that does not sound like food. The Swedish hash came up in the other thread. So funny.

Offline RathfarnhamU2Fan

• Stateless
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2017, 06:58:08 PM »
His life has always been chaos, maybe he should try learning something from people like U2?

He's lost everything in his life - his band, his relationship with his brother, his voice and of course his family with Nicole Appleton.He has 2 illegitimate children that have both cost him whatever marriage he happened to be in at that time, the latter also resulting in a very costly paternity suit.For all his time in Oasis he doesn't have much money to show for it.

The lads in U2 are good family men and are far too intelligent to buy into some insane idea about how a rock n roll star is suppose to be behave.Noel Gallagher is now the same.Who exactly is living in a bubble?

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2017, 08:42:59 PM »
His life has always been chaos, maybe he should try learning something from people like U2?

He's lost everything in his life - his band, his relationship with his brother, his voice and of course his family with Nicole Appleton.He has 2 illegitimate children that have both cost him whatever marriage he happened to be in at that time, the latter also resulting in a very costly paternity suit.For all his time in Oasis he doesn't have much money to show for it.

The lads in U2 are good family men and are far too intelligent to buy into some insane idea about how a rock n roll star is suppose to be behave.Noel Gallagher is now the same.Who exactly is living in a bubble?

and his father of course......i mean not that he lost him but that he beat them all.

Offline Rasmus

• Wanderer
« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2017, 01:19:12 PM »
People need to stop taking everything so seriously.

Offline Mark72

• Stateless
  • Modern Life Is Rubbish
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2017, 11:42:35 AM »
This is rather good. He can be on form sometimes

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Offline Nanda360

• Refugee
  • slow down child let me untie your lace
Liam Gallagher having a dig at u2 again
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2017, 06:21:02 PM »
It's a pitty such a gorgeous man seems to have some behavioral disorder and dismisses all his talent and potential.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk