Author Topic: Flying to see U2 too much work?  (Read 1490 times)

Offline Chargedvt

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: Flying to see U2 too much work?
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2017, 10:36:16 AM »
I flew from Australia to London on my own for i+e and made some great friends. Next month I am flying on my own again from Australia to San Diego. Hope to make friends again.
If you can afford it and it won't send you broke, do it. Otherwise you will regret not doing it.

Offline Kmama07

• Running to Stand Still
  • She is everywhere and no place
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2017, 11:01:44 AM »
Go for it!

Offline AliSPNfan

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2017, 11:25:05 AM »
Being a U2 fan guarantees you'll make friends! We seem to find like-minded people wherever we go  :D

Offline Smee

• Numb
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2017, 09:37:39 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I would highly advise against taking a flight that gets in so close to showtime. All it takes is a slight delay and you're hosed.
This is the very reason i had to change the flight details for London gigs. I ended up taking an early morning flight instead (which just meant a load of sitting around (not ideal)

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2017, 06:28:23 PM »
I drove 6 hours to see U2 in Pittsburgh, 5 to see them in Chicago, and 3.5 to see them in Cleveland. I have no regrets about it. If you enjoy their show and can afford it, do it. You're not going to regret it. Possibly turn it into a mini-vacation--that's what I did with my trips and it ended up being a great time getting to see one of my favorite bands live and take in some (at the time) new to me cities.

Offline rockthat89

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2017, 07:49:05 PM »
do it!!!! i flew from buenos aires to texas to see them play in may

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Offline JTNash

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2017, 07:58:02 PM »
I flew to Tampa was there like 24 hours it was totally worth it

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2017, 05:57:00 AM »
We have people flying from Australia to London, Argentina to Texas...

And you're worried about Boston to buffalo?!!!

Offline cabral255

• Stateless
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2017, 09:37:29 AM »
Yes

monopoly

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2017, 10:23:31 AM »
If I were to do any destination show, I wouldn't bother lining up at all, just because I could spend my time exploring and having fun.

Offline Gavin82

• Refugee
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2017, 10:07:33 AM »
Defo do it its much more fun & can be just the same $$$ anyway id never go too see them near me always travel cheap flights too EU & Hotels if booked & paid for up front.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • Nashville, Montreal 1 & 2
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2017, 11:25:54 AM »
Actually smaller market cities is what you want.

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2017, 03:14:24 PM »
For me it is not a question of too much work, it is a matter if I want to any more with U2.  For me who have seen U2 countless times and multiple times on every tour except UF (my first U2 show) it is not worth it as they don't vary the set list to warrant traveling for me, unless you are big time into the staple/hits.
For the JT tour, the only reasons that I am seeing it multiple times (Pittsburgh,Toronto,Buffalo) is for the very reasons to hear side 2 of JT as these songs after this tour will never be played again.  When is the last time U2 have ever played 7 deep cuts in a row (RTSS through MOTD).  It will not happen again, so if you are a fan of this album and especially side 2 then yes don't hesitate to travel to see the show because it was killer.  Also you might get lucky (which I wasn't-story of my life, you might get ASOH).
However for the next tour I will not be traveling to see multiple shows.  I have learned my lesson on I&E with the whole 2 nights 2 different shows (which never happened).  They will go back to the usual formula of new songs and then the usual hits/staples and then maybe one deep cut if your lucky.  I will maybe see more than one show if only they play additonal nights in my city and if the new album is killer but will not travel.  It is also getting way too expensive with tickets now plus travel especially if they don't change and vary the set it wouldn't be worth it.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 04:05:04 PM by boom boom »

Offline cocamojoe

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2017, 10:57:08 PM »
I've traveled solo to see U2 in Toronto, NYC, Belfast, Dublin, and Chicago. Other bands whom I've traveled solo to see are Springsteen, Mccartney, Regina Spektor, Taj Mahal/John Hiatt, Buddy Guy, John Fogerty, David Byrne/St Vincent, not to mention the COUNTLESS shows that I've attended solo in my own city (the most recent being Dropkick Murphys and Rancid together).

We likely have very different personalities, such where doing things solo like this are more than fine by me. Hell, last year I traveled around Europe and Northern Africa for 6 weeks, mostly solo; and, across Europe (literally, starting in Northern Ireland, ending in Turkey) for 4 weeks in 2015.

From my own experiences, naturally I'm going to encourage you to go ahead and take the plunge ;)

Offline cabral255

• Stateless
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2017, 07:43:10 AM »
Thanks for the motivation guys. My flight is booked hotel is booked and I got my g a ticket today