Author Topic: Rancid and Dropkick Murphys  (Read 96 times)

Offline cocamojoe

• Headache in a Suitcase
Rancid and Dropkick Murphys
« on: August 03, 2017, 11:00:30 AM »
Last night, I saw Rancid and Dropkick Murphys together on their current Berkeley to Boston tour, and it was beyond fantastic. While I don't expect that everyone here quite likes punk rock music, I am quite the fan, both when in the right mood, and when it is well written, both musically and lyrically. For me, both bands have always fit that bill for me.

It was a co-headlining show, with Rancid "opening", playing 20 songs; Dropkick played 18; and, then Rancid joined them for a 4 songed encore, covering anyone from Johnny Cash, to The Ramones, to The Crickets (Buddy Holly's old band).

Both bands have been around for at least 20 years, yet, despite their all looking older, you'd never have known it, from the stage presence, vocal prowess, and the raw enthusiasm of the crowd (a soldout one, at 5,500). Even with their newer songs (when Rancid asked who had their new album, easily half the crowd raised their hand; Dropkick's most recent was a top 10 on the billboard charts, and currently holds a 78% positive rating on Metacritic), the crowd was more than into it, especially with Dropkick's fantastic new song Blood.

I have absolutely zero complaints about the show, and I wholly recommend any and all of you who are stateside to check it out if it comes to or near your town!

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
Re: Rancid and Dropkick Murphys
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 11:33:56 AM »
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS im right there with you! GOD i used to looooveeeee punk, namely those 2 bands, and, well, pop punk. i was never big into the heavier stuff. Dropkick was great too i love Sing Loud, Sing Proud. i lost touch with all that stuff years ago though.

rancid is one of the few concerts i went to see and it was sold out. i was convinced NOT to buy tickets by a guy that had seem them many times before, said they're always available at the door. i took his word against my will. man i was so disappointed. he was VERY apologetic.

Offline cocamojoe

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: Rancid and Dropkick Murphys
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 03:37:11 PM »
I never did get into pop punk, save for whatever degree one thinks that earlier Green Day fits that mold (their Dookie album was a huge part of my middle school); but, I have always like the more protest oriented, gritty punk.