Author Topic: Innocence + experience vs Joshua Tree 2017  (Read 1156 times)

Offline monopoly

• Numb
Innocence + experience vs Joshua Tree 2017
« on: August 03, 2017, 12:49:37 PM »
What are your thoughts on which tour is better? Strengths vs weaknesses in each one? It can be the setlist, the performance or even the stage design and sight lines. What are some things you would fix/change for each tour if it was up to you? Would you prefer they stay on JT for another year to reach other countries or end it asap?

Offline riffraff

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The storms will pass
Re: Innocence + experience vs Joshua Tree 2017
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 12:54:43 PM »
I haven't seen JT tour yet, but I would certainly put it in an arena.

Offline monopoly

• Numb
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 12:55:08 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I haven't seen JT tour yet, but I would certainly put it in an arena.

That's funny, the IE stage is the original JT stage

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 03:18:18 PM »
The Joshua tree tour by a mile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 03:24:19 PM »
I've seen both. I+E.

Offline miryclay

• Elevated
  • I wandered out in the world for years
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 03:40:36 PM »
IE

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 04:18:42 PM »
I&E for me and it isn't even especially close.

When i went to see u2 at the o2 on the I&E tour i felt compelled to go and buy tickets to subsequent  nights - and did indeed go and do so.

I did not have the same feeling after attending the JT show.

That said neither show makes it into the upper echelons of my my tour rankings although both do trump 360.

TJT probably suffers from being a stadium show...maybe had both been in an arena or a stadium i might feel differently, but they weren't and TJT suffers for being in stadiums for sure when comparing the two.

Hopefully it will be the last time u2 play stadiums.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 04:28:20 PM by an tha »

Offline georgemccauley

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 07:56:02 PM »
Have to say JT, this was the first tour of seeing them live and I just love a stadium show, they're made to be in stadiums. I+E while it was clever production never reached the heights of JT, plus this current tour is celebrating a golden album, I+E sadly wasn't

Offline very good

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 01:25:31 AM »
Considering they were touring such an appalling album, the I & E tour was a fantastic show. Joshua Tree 2017 is a good show but I agree that the stadium thing needs to be put to bed now.

Offline Alpha

• Babyface
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 06:03:29 AM »
I've seen PopMart, Vertigo (both in Oslo), 360 (opening night, Barcelona), I+E in Paris (the first show, before the Bataclan terrorist attack postponed the others -That was scary, we were still in town) and now Joshua Tree in Brussels.

JT seemed to have a low point around the middle, from Red Hill through to MotD. I know that album well but it seemed the people around me (GA) did't, so interest lowered and intensity as well. That's the downside to playing a complete album from start to finish, instead of just the highlights. As for the stage itself the massive screen is interestingly almost as impressive as it was when they did the same on PopMart. But on I+E where they used the main stage, b-stage, the platform inbetween and the platform inbetween the screens it was a lot more interesting. The tricks they did with video as well was impressive and something new.

So it's pretty easy, i+E was miles ahead of JT.

Offline Ginapier@msn.com

• Babyface
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2017, 07:41:09 AM »
What are your thoughts on which tour is better? Strengths vs weaknesses in each one? It can be the setlist, the performance or even the stage design and sight lines. What are some things you would fix/change for each tour if it was up to you? Would you prefer they stay on JT for another year to reach other countries or end it asap?

I've seen every tour since 1983 and you really cannot compare. They are all different in their own way. As the fame grew so did the stage sets. It used to be 4 guys and their instruments that made the room of 10,000, 20,000 etc feel like a group of 20 people. It was almost a religious experience. No elaborate stage sets and distractions.

Comparing just I & E and JT , area shows more intimate and stadium shows ...well some people prefer that. It all depends on your own personal experience and what made this show amazing...or not.

My redzone experience at JT wasn't the best in Jersey and NOTHING will compare to the I&E redzone ... I have GA for St. Louis JT and I hope it goes well but I'm just not a fan of stadium shows.

Offline Gavin82

• Refugee
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2017, 11:32:33 AM »
Loved IE SBS with that screen was amazing also the fan interaction was good also being in the dark from start too finish i was really looking forwsrd too my 1st Stadium show but my only real complaint is it wasn't dark enough Streets in day light etc
Im guessing they could still add more dates in too 2018 if its still selling well & the demand is there its easy for them only time will tell

Offline Marwood

• Wanderer
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2017, 11:41:08 AM »
I & E by a long way, booked to see that again 24 hours later, the whole show seemed a lot better thought out and just went well beyond 'here's an album with a few bit pieces either side of it'

Offline the_chief

• Refugee
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2017, 02:54:12 PM »
Depends..
I prefer indoors obviously and it was a dream to see them indoors. Saw them 3 times in Dublin on that tour... Loved the opening

I also loved the gig in Croke Park a few weeks ago.. It's the first time I actually felt "the magic" of U2 and I've been seeing them live since 1997.

I'd go with I+E, purely for indoors and the setlist.... Although, Two weeks ago was the best and most emotive version of streets I've heard and Exit was worth every cent

Offline mariamontreal

• Running to Stand Still
  • She moves in mysterious ways
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2017, 03:53:59 PM »
I & E by a long way, booked to see that again 24 hours later, the whole show seemed a lot better thought out and just went well beyond 'here's an album with a few bit pieces either side of it'
I  saw the show 4 nights in Montreal loved it