Author Topic: Innocence + experience vs Joshua Tree 2017  (Read 1155 times)

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
Re: Innocence + experience vs Joshua Tree 2017
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2017, 12:34:29 PM »
Both have their own merits and had a similar feel/concept in some ways.
A lot of people seem to complain about stadiums, but I always go GA whether stadium or arena and typically end up the same distance back from the band, so really doesn't make that much difference to me. But I don't get the stadium hate with u2.. It's a sight to see, when bono has 70,000 people in the palm of his hand... this band were surely made for playing stadiums.
 I.e. was great, but no bass on the floor, and prefer their older material over innocence songs..

Offline rlabs19

• Stateless
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2017, 02:36:44 PM »
JT tour, easily. The music is better and the views aren't obstructed.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2017, 02:51:52 PM »
You're right; watching Bono work a crowd of 70,000 into a frenzy is an amazing sight and quite a feat on his part. 

Offline bjkrober

• Babyface
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2017, 06:15:09 AM »
JT30 > I+E. 
I+E felt too much like a broadway show (everyone had to bee in certain places at certain times).  When you put setlists side by side, there's no comparison (JT side 2 > SOI).  I did GA at both and was almost as close at the stadium as I was at the arena.  Also, I+E didn't have any opening acts.  U2 should always have 2 opening acts, one new band they're introducing to their audience and one relatively "big" act. 

Offline TongueInMyEar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Love it won't be long....
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2017, 07:31:21 AM »
I&E better show by far for me. As many have said a lot of that is down to arena vs stadium, also I loved the I&E stage.

Setlists probably a tie, loved the Sweetest Thing/EBW/October on piano in the I&E show I went to, JT amazing for RHMT and Exit which was best song of the night, and Miss Sarajevo.

Offline 73October

• Party Girl/Boy
  • A hurricane being born
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2017, 04:34:24 PM »
50/50.
I&E was groundbreaking with the stage set up and the clear screen/4th stage.  It was amazing when Bono 'walked' down his street and the visuals were excellent in the main.  2nd time arena and 1st time on the floor.  Got a close view of the band and the visuals (apart from the band on the main stage).  I loved the concept of the semi-autobiographical production of the show and also the theatrical aspect of it in 2 acts and no support band.  The only gripe was it was so choreographed that at times the band appeared to 'forget' to interact.  Although I loved some of the choreography (the 'sorry not sorry' scene and Raised By Wolves where there were objects placed along the staging for Bono to kick as part of the act of teenager in the underpass).  And also the props such as  book of Psalms left for Bono to read during UTEOTW.
TJT30 was groundbreaking again with the enhanced visuals on the outdoor 8K screen, and speakers/lights on gantries overhanging and not in the way of the screen.  And the way that the band took us through their story where they left off previously (c1983).  JT in sequence really worked in my opinion and it felt a bit like an outdoor movie screening.  The interview in the official programme with David Batstone really brought the drive behind large parts of the album home.  I'd heard of Batstone but was not aware of the El Salvador link with Bono.  I found the interview really uplifting.
I really appreciated that last few songs of the JT30 set pointed to the next instalment of Songs of Experience and whatever comes with that.  I am guessing the next tour is going to focus on 1989-2001, maybe up to Vertigo tour era.

Both excellent tours that will be hard for any other band to beat.

Offline U2_One

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • You Miss Too Much These Days If You Stop To Think
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2017, 06:57:16 AM »
Not sure I can choose. I preferred i+e being in arenas. I saw one more i+e show than I did JT30. I prefer TJT to SOI and liked the album show concept. Though I finally heard a number of the staples I had been waiting for during i+e, I heard more songs for the first time on JT30, and some that will probably be in tough to make future tours/concerts, and it gets the nod setlist-wise overall for me.

Offline georgemccauley

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2017, 07:01:22 PM »
Joshua Tree because Stadiums...

Offline Allhorizonbomb

• Babyface
  • Self proclaimed biggest U2 fan in New York State
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2017, 08:14:24 AM »
I would say for one time viewing JT is better but I.E. is better to see multiple times. Neither touch 360 especially the second US leg of 360. I'm going to be honest and say the two most recent tours have had been kind of boring at times. The end of the JT had poor choices or poor verisions of the 1990s songs, and I.E. beginnings were way too stagnant until the second act.

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2017, 04:23:25 PM »
For me JT is better for the very reason although touring a 30 year old album it just seem more fresh with side 2 being played.  With RTSS-MOTD that is 7 deep cuts in a row and ASOH if you were lucky enough to catch it.
I&E strength was the new songs for me and that's it.  The rest of the show was just standard U2 by the numbers. Other than the new songs just wasn't in to it as much the whole show.  If U2 followed through on their initial concept of 2 nights 2 different shows it could have really been something.

Offline Chrisedge

• Babyface
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2017, 10:56:34 AM »
I&E for me, and it's not even close. This tour feels like a cash grab. While we have gotten one new song, the only real highlight of the JT30 tour for me has been hearing the album in order, especially side 2. Songs we haven't heard live in a long time. I saw them back in '87 five times, so I heard it back then.
On the other hand, I thought I&E was one of their very best tours. Right up there with the orig 87 tour and close to ZOOTV era...Not even considering arenas vs. stadium (I was up close on I&E multiple nights without even trying...pretty far back on JT30 without trying) as well as the energy they are bringing to the entire show.

Offline monopoly

• Numb
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2017, 03:04:35 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I would say for one time viewing JT is better but I.E. is better to see multiple times. Neither touch 360 especially the second US leg of 360. I'm going to be honest and say the two most recent tours have had been kind of boring at times. The end of the JT had poor choices or poor verisions of the 1990s songs, and I.E. beginnings were way too stagnant until the second act.

Yes, I felt bored on IE until the second half began.

Offline renno

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2017, 03:13:33 AM »
London 6 on I&e and twickenham 2 on the Joshua tree tour was probably the best two times I've seen the band. Very hard to choose. The only other one that comes close to them two is Cardiff on the 360 tour.

Hard to choose between the two tours. For someone like me who got into u2 in 2000. Theve only played arenas here twice in 17 years. I missed elevation but got to see i&e so seeing them indoors was special. Bad at the end was emotional as hell

Can't choose :-)