Author Topic: Pros and cons of GA  (Read 629 times)

Offline cabral255

• Babyface
Pros and cons of GA
« on: August 03, 2017, 02:38:33 PM »
I have never done GA and I'm hoping people can give me some tips. How early do you to get there. I don't need to be right up front. Thanks

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
Re: Pros and cons of GA
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 04:27:38 PM »
I strolled in at 6pm and got a spot right by the b stage. Sure I pushed my way forward but it's U2 I wasn't missing out!visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Either way you'll get a good spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline cabral255

• Babyface
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 04:35:06 PM »
Wow, what happens if you need to use the restroom

Offline monopoly

• Numb
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 04:37:27 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Wow, what happens if you need to use the restroom

Once you enter the venue, you claim your spot, ask someone to defend it, and you have approximately 5-10 minutes to use the bathroom. Understand the venue let's you in 2 hours before opening act. If you want to keep your spot, i highly recommend you don't leave at all once those 5-10 minutes pass

Offline cabral255

• Babyface
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 05:51:15 PM »
Don't some people get in lime the day before?

Offline monopoly

• Numb
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 07:24:58 PM »

There's no actual line, it's more of a list self appointed nutcase u2 fans make. They start their lists 2-3 days before and you have to find out the information of where the list is in order to get your name on it. It's not an official thing from u2, it's made by fans who go to every show and think they are official staff. They convince the venue to follow their rules and use their list, which is bias since it includes all their friends first, even when they aren't even in the city yet. and they set check in times where you must be present when they call your name...

I recommmend avoiding it all together...
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 07:27:24 PM by monopoly »

Offline dublinireland

• Wanderer
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 10:02:05 PM »
cons- people (arriving late/r) pushing their way in front of people (that have waited their turn).

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 11:49:36 PM »
It's general admission, regardless of when you get there you can do what you like within reason. That's the price of being in GA.

If you don't mind standing for long periods it's a great way to see the band and ultimately so much more rewarding.

Offline Kim

• Babyface
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 05:52:01 AM »

There's no actual line, it's more of a list self appointed nutcase u2 fans make. They start their lists 2-3 days before and you have to find out the information of where the list is in order to get your name on it. It's not an official thing from u2, it's made by fans who go to every show and think they are official staff. They convince the venue to follow their rules and use their list, which is bias since it includes all their friends first, even when they aren't even in the city yet. and they set check in times where you must be present when they call your name...

There was a line for red zone in Brussels as well. Some lady, who calls herself "the biggest U2 fan", started a list at 6 in the morning. When we arrived in the afternoon there was an argument about that list. A guy who was waiting since 8 wasn't on the list because that woman went into town for hours. That guy told us that the first 20 names on the list were friends of the lady who started the list and weren't actually there to put their names on the list. I think it's a shame that people do that. She was verbally very strong and everyone followed her instructions. She said "if you don't cooperate you will be last in line". For red zone it was no need to use a list. Every one who showed up before Noel's act, had a good place.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 06:04:40 AM »

There was a line for red zone in Brussels as well. Some lady, who calls herself "the biggest U2 fan", started a list at 6 in the morning. When we arrived in the afternoon there was an argument about that list. A guy who was waiting since 8 wasn't on the list because that woman went into town for hours. That guy told us that the first 20 names on the list were friends of the lady who started the list and weren't actually there to put their names on the list. I think it's a shame that people do that. She was verbally very strong and everyone followed her instructions. She said "if you don't cooperate you will be last in line". For red zone it was no need to use a list. Every one who showed up before Noel's act, had a good place.

The list is a load of BS if you ask me!

Offline JFW

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Lookin' in the places where no flowers grow
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2017, 12:08:02 PM »
If you want a comfortable place. Go to the railing at stage or other (like those around pillars)

Offline rockthat89

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Pros and cons of GA
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 07:18:15 PM »
pros: you get to see the band up close, cons: you cant go to the restroom and have to stay up for hours, but it's totally worth it!!!

in arlington, tx I went to get my spot in line at noon and managed to get a pretty awesome view. however i think it depends on the country, here in argentina i bet fans will be queing days before the show

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 07:21:55 PM by rockthat89 »

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2017, 09:48:18 PM »
con - standing outside all day. standing in front of the stage unable to leave to use the rr, get food or drinks, buy merch <if youve been in line all day you're not gonna stop at the merch booth to get a shirt before you fast walk to the rail> potentially being pushed by people or standing behind someone taller than you.

pro - close to band.

side note - ive done U2 GA twice and seats 3 times. nothing beats seats. who cares if you're that close to the band? do it once and get it out of your system then do the logical thing and get a seat.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 11:54:42 PM by THRILLHO »

Offline very good

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2017, 01:14:35 AM »
Biggest pro for me is being able to move to where the sound is best. At Paris this was further back. I've only bought a seated ticket for one of my 14 U2 gigs and it was a crushing disappointment as the sound was appalling (360 tour - Wembley 1). I was close to the b-stage at popmart in Leeds, got into the golden circle (by absolute chance) at vertigo (Manchester 1) and was able to move freely around the during one of the I & E shows at the O2 in London. Otherwise I've generally just enjoyed the day without having to cling to a spot. As far as being close the the action without any fuss the GA for I & E was unbelievably good. I wish - in retrospect - I had paid for redzone tickets for Paris last week. C'est la vie 😏.

Offline Kmama07

• Running to Stand Still
  • She is everywhere and no place
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2017, 10:53:04 AM »
I won't speak to the standing in line all day aspect because I've long ago stopped that nonsense (had a bad experience with "the listers" and have no patience for that any longer). However, the pro to having GA (if you aren't hell bent on being directly on the rail) is being able to move a around as needed to find the best sound as well as view without being sandwiched amongst a million people.  Sometimes the sound/view have been better a bit further away. Sometimes a bit closer to the stage. For that last three tours I've been able to get fairly close without annoying anyone who has been hanging out all day to snag their rail spots.