Author Topic: Pros and cons of GA  (Read 610 times)

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
Re: Pros and cons of GA
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2017, 11:09:39 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I won't speak to the standing in line all day aspect because I've long ago stopped that nonsense (had a bad experience with "the listers" and have no patience for that any longer). However, the pro to having GA (if you aren't hell bent on being directly on the rail) is being able to move a around as needed to find the best sound as well as view without being sandwiched amongst a million people.  Sometimes the sound/view have been better a bit further away. Sometimes a bit closer to the stage. For that last three tours I've been able to get fairly close without annoying anyone who has been hanging out all day to snag their rail spots.

i know a group of U2 fans that ONLY do the rail and b**** for a day straight <literally, they always sleep outside the stadium or don't sleep> on social media and urge everyone to tweet at the managment of whatever venue since the line wasn't being done right. they make it sound like pure hell each time and they always swear they'll never do it again only to do it at the next available opportunity EVERY TIME.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 08:32:27 AM by Belisama »

Offline Kmama07

• Running to Stand Still
  • She is everywhere and no place
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2017, 11:23:14 AM »
I won't speak to the standing in line all day aspect because I've long ago stopped that nonsense (had a bad experience with "the listers" and have no patience for that any longer). However, the pro to having GA (if you aren't hell bent on being directly on the rail) is being able to move a around as needed to find the best sound as well as view without being sandwiched amongst a million people.  Sometimes the sound/view have been better a bit further away. Sometimes a bit closer to the stage. For that last three tours I've been able to get fairly close without annoying anyone who has been hanging out all day to snag their rail spots.

i know a group of psycho U2 fans that ONLY do the rail and b**** for a day straight <literally, they always sleep outside the stadium or don't sleep> on social media and urge everyone to tweet at the managment of whatever venue since the line wasn't being done right. they make it sound like pure hell each time and they always swear they'll never do it again only to do it at the next available opportunity EVERY TIME.
It's become ridiculous

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2017, 11:40:34 AM »

i know a group of psycho U2 fans that ONLY do the rail and b**** for a day straight <literally, they always sleep outside the stadium or don't sleep> on social media and urge everyone to tweet at the managment of whatever venue since the line wasn't being done right. they make it sound like pure hell each time and they always swear they'll never do it again only to do it at the next available opportunity EVERY TIME.
It's become ridiculous

right. but the line isnt whats ridic its the people that wont give up on doing GA. like these people have never had seats at a u2 concert. they sleep on sidewalk all night then stand for like 6 hours....

Offline Kim

• Babyface
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2017, 12:57:56 PM »
From where I was standing in red zone I could see the front row at the tree very well. It was a strange feeling because all those faces looked familiar from footage from other U2-shows. They have been on stage or filmed frequently. One was acting like she was Bono's date or something, doing gestures and that kind of things.

Offline reventhon

• Stateless
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2017, 01:31:30 AM »
I gave done GA a few times and the experience has been variable. I have queued since 8am at Croke for vertigo and other places. A day of standing and not leaving your spot is very difficult. I'm not keen on the thought of pushing back through people who are already standing shoulder to shoulder to get back to the very front. It is so tightly packed in there. The best experiences I had were on 360 where you could get in and stand at the back with a rail and the outer walkway behind you. Also I&E where the runway was so long everyone on the floor had a reasonably close up view. The worst experience was traveling to Paris 2 a couple of weeks back. I turned up and got a good place at about 5pm. As soon as the band came on all the smartphones and even selfie sticks went up and remained for the show. I hardly saw a thing and eventually moved a lot further back so I could at least see. Best thing about GA is you can see the band up close but it's more often than not quite a tough experience. Best view is from the seats but there's no interaction with the band. The other thing is they are charging silly money for seats these days - 180 plus.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2017, 04:11:01 AM »
I gave done GA a few times and the experience has been variable. I have queued since 8am at Croke for vertigo and other places. A day of standing and not leaving your spot is very difficult. I'm not keen on the thought of pushing back through people who are already standing shoulder to shoulder to get back to the very front. It is so tightly packed in there. The best experiences I had were on 360 where you could get in and stand at the back with a rail and the outer walkway behind you. Also I&E where the runway was so long everyone on the floor had a reasonably close up view. The worst experience was traveling to Paris 2 a couple of weeks back. I turned up and got a good place at about 5pm. As soon as the band came on all the smartphones and even selfie sticks went up and remained for the show. I hardly saw a thing and eventually moved a lot further back so I could at least see. Best thing about GA is you can see the band up close but it's more often than not quite a tough experience. Best view is from the seats but there's no interaction with the band. The other thing is they are charging silly money for seats these days - 180 plus.

Phones are ruining the GA experience, I agree.  Bloke near me spent over half the concert with his phone above his head, filming himself singing along and dancing to the concert - talk about narcissism. 

However, the advantages of GA are that you can move freely (dance or just up and down) and you can get a close and decent view with these modern stage set-ups with more than one stage.  I turned up about 6.45pm during the support for U2 and was just off the front row and had a rail spot once people wandered off to the other stage to see U2 there - that really helped cure the cameraphone issue for me.  However, I imagine that cameras don't get in the way as much for people in the seats, who must get a good clear view of the entire show.  (People in GA will either find the stage too high, if they're near the front, or too low, if they're further back).

Crowds are mostly well-behaved given they're spending the best part of 100 to see the show, so I don't find this tussle for a good spot thing going on anymore.  There were loads of older people near me, one guy was even on crutches, watching the show from close up without any hassle.

Advantage of seats is less energy is required, but in a stadium you are a very long way from the stage.  Also they seem to price seats more expensively than standing.

Offline Kmama07

• Running to Stand Still
  • She is everywhere and no place
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2017, 07:58:28 AM »
I am surprised selfie sticks are allowed. I could be wrong, but I don't remember selfie sticks being allowed through security in the U.S. At least I haven't seen any at shows. The annoying phones...yes.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2017, 08:42:32 AM »
sorry to all that i offended with my post. not sure i was bullying anyone here but i was reprimanded heavily for it. so my apologies.