Author Topic: New Year's Day, Re-Interpreted.  (Read 1521 times)

Offline Moshepop

• Babyface
  • Face Pressed Up Against The Glass
New Year's Day, Re-Interpreted.
« on: August 03, 2017, 07:19:17 PM »
Hi All

El 20 De Mayo (New Year's Day) - For Venezuela (An adaptation in Spanish)
Video: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

WITH ENGLISH CLOSED CAPTIONS

My home country of Venezuela, as many of you might have heard, is going through a very tough time. In May 20th of this year, a Saturday,  a month and half into the latest protests, I woke up feeling really sad, concerned, and frustrated about the situation. My book of U2 chords was handy, and I started playing, I got to New Year's Day and what came out of me was not the regular English version but I started adapting the lyrics in Spanish to the situation in Venezuela, by the end of the day I had a complete adapted version of the song in Spanish and I recorded it in my phone, I liked the results and shared it with a few friends, and soon I had quorum from friends musicians and my brother to go and record it. It all happened quickly. We filmed everything without planning or knowing what we were going to do, but now after two months or so, I finished this video of the song which I hope all of you watch and share. My intention is to raise awareness about the situation in Venezuela. U2 is going to Colombia in October and the fate of these two countries has always been very much in relation. For example, last week tens of thousands of people crossed the Colombian border in search for better living conditions.

I don't want to write too long here, the video speaks for itself, please please please take the time to watch and share.

Greetings from Miami

Moises
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 08:52:18 PM by Moshepop »

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
Re: New Year's Day, Re-Interpreted.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 12:32:36 AM »
Awesome cover, very well recorded and put together... and great work with the accompanying video as well.

I wish more people would educate themselves with all that is going on in Venezuela. What Maduro has done is a frightening attack on democracy. I can't say any more, I don't want to get banned...

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 01:30:47 AM »
I love Venezuela, unfortunately all over the world democracy is under attack. Russia, Turkey, Poland, Philippines, Venezuela, Hungary, all very frightening

Offline Tim Wallach

• Babyface
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 07:17:17 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I love Venezuela, unfortunately all over the world democracy is under attack. Russia, Turkey, Poland, Philippines, Venezuela, Hungary, all very frightening

The U.S.  :'(

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 07:48:35 AM »

Comparing the U.S.'s situation to that of those other countries is laughably ignorant.

Offline blovesu2

• Babyface
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 11:14:42 AM »
Beautifully done. Prayers your way.

Offline Tim Wallach

• Babyface
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 11:29:09 AM »

Comparing the U.S.'s situation to that of those other countries is laughably ignorant.

Wasn't comparing at all. Nor ranking. Merely commenting on a global epidemic of assault on democracy in all its forms. Chill.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 12:11:07 PM »

Wasn't comparing at all. Nor ranking. Merely commenting on a global epidemic of assault on democracy in all its forms. Chill.

But where does the U.S. come into this? It's not as if 1/3 of the country is undernourished like in Venezuela's case, or like how refugees are being beaten in Turkey.

Offline Tim Wallach

• Babyface
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 01:36:16 PM »

But where does the U.S. come into this? It's not as if 1/3 of the country is undernourished like in Venezuela's case, or like how refugees are being beaten in Turkey.

In my opinion, the U.S. comes into the discussion of democratic erosion in the way the current Presidency is attempting to alter the basic institutions and how they function - not to mention media's access to information.

Obviously it's not on the same level as Venezuela. No one ever said it was. But it's different levels of the same video game in many ways. But I digress. Wasn't trying to start a political storm. I was just lamenting a global trend that is touching even the most prosperous, "lucky" nations in my humble opinion.

Offline Izzy

• Numb
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 01:39:45 PM »

In my opinion, the U.S. comes into the discussion of democratic erosion in the way the current Presidency is attempting to alter the basic institutions and how they function - not to mention media's access to information.

Obviously it's not on the same level as Venezuela. No one ever said it was. But it's different levels of the same video game in many ways. But I digress. Wasn't trying to start a political storm. I was just lamenting a global trend that is touching even the most prosperous, "lucky" nations in my humble opinion.

And an end to the thread for being too political in 3....2....

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2017, 01:59:27 PM »

Haha, very well... I'll leave it there... no hard feelings, just stupid debate.

Offline Tim Wallach

• Babyface
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 02:27:02 PM »

Haha, very well... I'll leave it there... no hard feelings, just stupid debate.

Definitely. My apologies for the can of worms. Wasn't intended that way.

Offline Izzy

• Numb
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2017, 02:56:55 PM »
Gentlepersons, remember what happened here last November!!!

How about that local sports team?

By the way, kudos to the cover version of the song,

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2017, 02:59:19 PM »
Don't get me started on the local sports team.

My grievances on that matter would get me banned a hell of a lot quicker than any political discussion ever could!

Offline Izzy

• Numb
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2017, 04:58:06 PM »
I'm a mets fan
*mic drop