Author Topic: Zooropa: assuming the very qualities it loathes?  (Read 280 times)

Offline fresno dave

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • "You wanted violins.." about.me/davewainscott
Zooropa: assuming the very qualities it loathes?
« on: August 05, 2017, 01:03:19 PM »
Interesting take on Zooropa from AV Club article.  Thoughts?:

Perhaps this identity confusion arose because Zooropa’s fascination with seedy pop culture and how it promotes detachment unwittingly came true. In other words, the album’s thematic obsession caused it to assume the very qualities it loathes: emotional aloofness and artifice over sincerity. Lyrically, this theory fits. “Babyface” describes the experience of watching a beautiful woman on television; “Lemon” is voyeuristic; “Numb” mimics the overwhelming nature of consumer culture; and “Some Days Are Better Than Others” captures the mind-numbing monotony of everyday life. Even a song as eloquent as “The Wanderer,” which features Johnny Cash on lead vocals talking about looking for God, is surprisingly shapeless, despite faint bass twang, sighing background vocals, and minimal drums.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline fardreamer

• Child of Grace
  • I'm only hanging on to watch you go down my love
Re: Zooropa: assuming the very qualities it loathes?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 02:27:14 PM »
But that's the whole point.

They're not saying these are good things.

If you want to really understand Zooropa and Pop take a deep dive into the book of Ecclesiastes in the Bible.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 03:36:35 PM »
It is truly amazing that the world struggles with high art like Zooropa but laps up vapid, moronic sh**e like Elevation.

Well actually maybe it isn't amazing, but it is a shame.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 04:22:22 AM »
Interesting take on Zooropa from AV Club article.  Thoughts?:

Perhaps this identity confusion arose because Zooropa’s fascination with seedy pop culture and how it promotes detachment unwittingly came true. In other words, the album’s thematic obsession caused it to assume the very qualities it loathes: emotional aloofness and artifice over sincerity. Lyrically, this theory fits. “Babyface” describes the experience of watching a beautiful woman on television; “Lemon” is voyeuristic; “Numb” mimics the overwhelming nature of consumer culture; and “Some Days Are Better Than Others” captures the mind-numbing monotony of everyday life. Even a song as eloquent as “The Wanderer,” which features Johnny Cash on lead vocals talking about looking for God, is surprisingly shapeless, despite faint bass twang, sighing background vocals, and minimal drums.

There is a whiff of detachment to some of the lyrics on Zooropa, especially when compared to the emotional intensity of Achtung Baby or Pop.  Babyface and Some Days Are Better Than Others spring to mind.  Bono adopts the pose of a flâneur on this album more than any other, but that makes it interesting if not as emotionally satisfying as the two albums that sandwich it.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 04:29:24 AM »

If you want to really understand Zooropa and Pop take a deep dive into the book of Ecclesiastes in the Bible.
Indeed.

From Ecclesiastes 4:8

There was a man all alone;
    he had neither son nor brother.
There was no end to his toil,
    yet his eyes were not with his wealth.
“For whom am I toiling,” he asked,
    “and why am I depriving myself of enjoyment?”
This too is meaningless—
    Vorsprung durch Technik.

Really makes you think.

Offline fresno dave

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • "You wanted violins.." about.me/davewainscott
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 10:50:04 AM »

Thanks.  sorry i didn't communicate well. I'm well aware of all of that. Been studying U2...and Ecclesiastes) for 37 years(:
 What i found helpful  here
was the thesis that the music.instrumentation (even production itself), not the lyrics, " assume the very qualities it loathes: emotional aloofness and artifice over sincerity. "    See especially his thoughts on The Wanderer
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 05:02:04 PM by fresno dave »