Author Topic: Bono and South Park  (Read 531 times)

Offline Allhorizonbomb

• Wanderer
  • Self proclaimed biggest U2 fan in New York State
Bono and South Park
« on: August 08, 2017, 09:49:19 AM »
Has Bono ever said anything about his portrayal on South Park. I've looked around but can't find anything even though he has become one of their most famous parodies. I also think the parody is pretty funny in my opinion.

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
Re: Bono and South Park
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 11:20:21 AM »
I thought it was funny as well.  His intro music before every appearance was great.

Offline JFW

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 03:05:32 PM »
I couldn't get it out of my head near the end of Vertigo during Amsterdam 2.

Yeahyeahyeahyeah

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 05:58:03 AM »
Love the way they even wrote him into the book of Mormon as well...

"I... Am Africa. Just like bono!"

Offline Kmama07

• Running to Stand Still
  • She is everywhere and no place
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 07:04:39 AM »
How have I never seen this?
Must look it up!

Offline Allhorizonbomb

• Wanderer
  • Self proclaimed biggest U2 fan in New York State
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 07:10:54 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Must look it up!

It's currently free on South Park studios to stream in the US I know that

Offline Kmama07

• Running to Stand Still
  • She is everywhere and no place
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 01:59:41 PM »
Must look it up!

It's currently free on South Park studios to stream in the US I know that
Thanks. I'll check it out

Offline Bono in love with himself

• Wanderer
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 07:29:43 PM »
The effectiveness of satire relies on its ability to bring to light a contradiction or hypocrisy in society.

South Park is so successful because it shows us, how the celebrities like our beloved pop icons have just as many faults as the rest of us. Eric Cartman, Kenny McCormick, Kyle Broflovski and Stan Marshshed like on celeb character flaws, and then some.

In one episode of South Park, , "How could Bono be so talented, so caring, and yet seem like such a piece of crap?" Stan says he "has a great band" and "does great things." But while I like Bono, he's got a sanctimonious side that's ripe for parody, especially if your specialty is already parodying self-important celebs. Even the Simpsons made fun of Bono.

Bono is a very talented and caring individual, though there is something undeniably smug and self-serving about the way he refuses to ever take off his sunglasses. Combine the hypocrisy of his charitable showboating with the inherent strangeness of his enigmatic sayings, and you have a subject ripe for satire.

The U2 frontman is just a regular guy, subject to all the same character flaws as us less-decorated guys, flaws such as pride and greed that are balanced by virtues like empathy and determination. The only difference is, being a rockstar on the international stage, Bono's traits are bound to be exaggerated in the media. Luckily we have shows like South Park to keep all these famous egos in check.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 12:45:22 AM »
The effectiveness of satire relies on its ability to bring to light a contradiction or hypocrisy in society.

South Park is so successful because it shows us, how the celebrities like our beloved pop icons have just as many faults as the rest of us. Eric Cartman, Kenny McCormick, Kyle Broflovski and Stan Marshshed like on celeb character flaws, and then some.

In one episode of South Park, , "How could Bono be so talented, so caring, and yet seem like such a piece of crap?" Stan says he "has a great band" and "does great things." But while I like Bono, he's got a sanctimonious side that's ripe for parody, especially if your specialty is already parodying self-important celebs. Even the Simpsons made fun of Bono.

Bono is a very talented and caring individual, though there is something undeniably smug and self-serving about the way he refuses to ever take off his sunglasses. Combine the hypocrisy of his charitable showboating with the inherent strangeness of his enigmatic sayings, and you have a subject ripe for satire.

The U2 frontman is just a regular guy, subject to all the same character flaws as us less-decorated guys, flaws such as pride and greed that are balanced by virtues like empathy and determination. The only difference is, being a rockstar on the international stage, Bono's traits are bound to be exaggerated in the media. Luckily we have shows like South Park to keep all these famous egos in check.

Uh, you do know that Bono has glaucoma, right? There's a reason as to why he always wears a pair of sunglasses.

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 12:20:29 PM »
Even the Simpsons made fun of Bono.

Yes, and in an actual funny way. Also not in a sh**ty/ugly animation.

Offline Bono in love with himself

• Wanderer
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 07:16:01 PM »

Uh, you do know that Bono has glaucoma, right? There's a reason as to why he always wears a pair of sunglasses.

I thought it was because he liked guacamole and lemon and was always splashing it in his eyes so he couldn't see.