Author Topic: Old U2 videos  (Read 387 times)

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Running to Stand Still
Old U2 videos
« on: August 09, 2017, 07:20:38 PM »
Was watching the "A Celebration" video from the old jail.  It's all there from the earliest days:  the over-the-top bombast, the hubris, the infectious energy and enthusiasm.  The old "Gloria" video from the harbor certainly captures this as well.  What are some of your favorite U2 video moments and why?

Offline JTNash

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: Old U2 videos
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 09:22:49 PM »
Red Rocks!  Coming home from school putting on MTV seeing Bono climb the rigging!

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 08:05:39 AM »
A Celebration is absolutely classic.

Also love the Fly, for the same reason.  I recorded a "U2 Sunday" on MTV when the Fly had just been released.  It was three hours (!) of U2 videos, which I think included every known video up until that point, with a few repeats.  That's probably where I first saw A Celebration, as well as the live clip of God Part II and others.

Offline 73October

• Party Girl/Boy
  • A hurricane being born
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 08:47:55 AM »
I can remember seeing New Year's Day on Top of The Pops.  It was like they were so bombastic and wanted to film a James Bond sequence.  Except there was no chase through the forest on horseback.  Looking back, they did a video like The Police did at the time - in some exotic (for then anyway) location.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 07:29:55 PM »
I'm really enjoying "A Celebration", too.  I've always the "Pride" video with the wee dancing Irish boys. ;D

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 03:00:21 AM »
I love the version of Electric Co. they did in London in 1980: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  It's U2 in their New Wave incarnation but full of all the elements of what makes them a great band. 

Offline riffraff

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The storms will pass
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 05:04:36 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I love the version of Electric Co. they did in London in 1980: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  It's U2 in their New Wave incarnation but full of all the elements of what makes them a great band.
GREAT clip! This is the song that got me hook, line, and sinker.