Poll

So folks which is better and why....Let's have a good clean 'Fight' keep those punches above the belt - let's get it on!

Pop
ATYCLB

Voting closes: August 24, 2017, 10:53:30 AM

Author Topic: Pop v ATYCLB  (Read 2058 times)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
Pop v ATYCLB
« on: August 10, 2017, 10:53:30 AM »
 :) Been some friendly banter about threads comparing albums....of course this is not new ground it has all been discussed before - but as the demographics of our online community here are constantly changing as new people join, old friends return, people leave etc. it is always fun to recycle old discussions.....and we all enjoy it of course! Well a lot of us do.

So let's do it....

The end of the 90's v The start of the new millennium....U2 arguably as far out there for many as they ever got v U2's return to self in many peoples eyes.....Experimental v Safe......European influenced v US friendly.......hey this one can be tagged reasonably as any of those things and many more...

What it definitely is is.....Pop v ATYCLB.....

« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 10:56:25 AM by an tha »

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
Re: Pop v ATYCLB
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 10:56:38 AM »
Ha!  Well, I saw THIS coming (from the other thread)....

I've started things off with the obvious vote.  I think Pop will take this handily, but ATYCLB will have its share of defenders.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 11:02:38 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Ha!  Well, I saw THIS coming (from the other thread)....

I've started things off with the obvious vote.  I think Pop will take this handily, but ATYCLB will have its share of defenders.

:)

To be fair i think it could be closer than might think....

I'd like to read and engage in a nice interesting but lively debate and i really mean it when i say i personally would like to encourage ATYCLB 'fans' to contribute.....too often IMHO in these kind of things the maybe less  'favourite' votes do just that......They vote but they don't engage in the discussion.

It makes it much more interesting when there is a good spread of views.....and we have seen on other threads recently that even discussions about Elevashun can be respectful, balanced and a good read.

Offline Spacejunk69

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 11:05:21 AM »
Pop. Obviously.

ATYCLB is not U2's worst (SOI or HTDMAAB will fight that out)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 11:08:02 AM »
You see already the ATYCLB votes are silent....4-2 early doors to Pop but not a single pro ATYCLB comment...

Come on 'Behinders' speak up loud and proud!

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 11:13:47 AM »
Oh and by the way - Pop.....

Pop is my favourite U2 album - it is probably not their best but it is the one that to this day i still spin sometimes.

I have had better cars than my old beat up Ford Fiesta i passed my test in nearly 30 years ago but that car remains my favourite....

My thoughts about both these albums are well documented of course but ultimately we are talking here for me about my favourite u2 album and a top 20 all time by anyone album versus my least favourite u2 album and an album i don't even own or own a song off!

It still staggers me to this day that in about 3 years u2 went from Pop to Behind.....i suppose it showcases their eclectic and diverse songwriting skills....
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 11:16:19 AM by an tha »

Offline Spacejunk69

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 11:29:34 AM »
Oh and by the way - Pop.....

Pop is my favourite U2 album - it is probably not their best but it is the one that to this day i still spin sometimes.

I have had better cars than my old beat up Ford Fiesta i passed my test in nearly 30 years ago but that car remains my favourite....

My thoughts about both these albums are well documented of course but ultimately we are talking here for me about my favourite u2 album and a top 20 all time by anyone album versus my least favourite u2 album and an album i don't even own or own a song off!

It still staggers me to this day that in about 3 years u2 went from Pop to Behind.....i suppose it showcases their eclectic and diverse songwriting skills....

This exactly. AB is their best, but Pop is my favorite. There is a difference.

Offline riffraff

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The storms will pass
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 12:08:42 PM »
POP...one of the best workout albums EVER. And, lyrically and musically it just rocks my pants off! Oh, maybe I shouldn't have said that... :-[

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 12:31:59 PM »
Not a POP apologist, for me it's the least exciting of their most exciting era, but ATYCLB is easily U2's worst album. Other than In a little while and Kite, the rest of the album is very throwaway for me. POP at least has great outtakes (Holy Joe), big statements (MOFO) and rockers (Gone) . ATYCLB's statement was "we said we were POP before, but we're truly POP now...."

Offline hollywoodswag

• Wanderer
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 12:46:46 PM »
I voted for ATYCLB. I'll say that between Discotheque, Last Night on Earth, and Gone, with a few other songs to a lesser degree, Pop is certainly much stronger than I ever used to think. However, when Pop fell, it fell hard. I can take some electronica to a point, but with songs like Mofo, it's just too much. ATYCLB is an album I can play through without having a burning desire to skip songs, even if it has its fair share of weak points. I feel like it's highlights are fantastic, though, with Elevation being among my favorite U2 songs, period, and Beautiful Day and Kite filling out a top trio that bests that of Pop's, in my opinion, and where Pop really falls off beyond its first three (although I have a degree of fondness for DYFL and IFWSHA), ATYCLB manages to stay somewhat afloat with Walk On and New York being solid in their own right, and then the filler not being overly bad, either.

Offline Doc_Holiday

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 01:05:21 PM »
Pop without a doubt. It's the U2 album I'll always keep listening

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 01:20:23 PM »
I voted for ATYCLB. I'll say that between Discotheque, Last Night on Earth, and Gone, with a few other songs to a lesser degree, Pop is certainly much stronger than I ever used to think. However, when Pop fell, it fell hard. I can take some electronica to a point, but with songs like Mofo, it's just too much. ATYCLB is an album I can play through without having a burning desire to skip songs, even if it has its fair share of weak points. I feel like it's highlights are fantastic, though, with Elevation being among my favorite U2 songs, period, and Beautiful Day and Kite filling out a top trio that bests that of Pop's, in my opinion, and where Pop really falls off beyond its first three (although I have a degree of fondness for DYFL and IFWSHA), ATYCLB manages to stay somewhat afloat with Walk On and New York being solid in their own right, and then the filler not being overly bad, either.

I can't say I agree with you, but this is one of the best defenses of ATYCLB I've seen on here.  Nicely done.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 01:46:23 PM »
I'm with you, Johnny......I don't agree with it - in fact i strongly disagree but as 'stating your case' goes it is a fair effort and deserves respect for being so

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2017, 01:47:43 PM »
oh GOD an tha...why do you do this to yourself....?? if ATYCLB wins....well mate im gonna have to put you on suicide watch......

i voted for Pop, ive told the tale countless times but once again, my dad got Pop in 97 when i was 16 and he 40ish, i took ownership of it and got hooked on U2.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 01:51:27 PM by THRILLHO »

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2017, 01:49:19 PM »
oh GOD an tha...why do you do this to yourself....?? if ATYCLB wins....well mate im gonna have to put you on suicide watch......

Even my unpopularity couldn't lead to that much of  a protest vote!  ;)