Poll

So folks which is better and why....Let's have a good clean 'Fight' keep those punches above the belt - let's get it on!

Pop
58 (58.6%)
ATYCLB
41 (41.4%)

Total Members Voted: 94

Voting closed: August 24, 2017, 10:53:30 AM

Author Topic: Pop v ATYCLB  (Read 2960 times)

Spacejunk69

Re: Pop v ATYCLB
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2017, 01:49:29 PM »
16-7 in favor of Pop. Wow.

I leave for lunch and my favorite album of all time gets all sorts of love. Then again, it is up against a dud  ;D

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2017, 01:55:18 PM »
It's Pop for me, of course!

That opening trio of Discotheque, Do You Feel Loved, and Mofo is the best grouping of songs in U2's entire catalog. Plus, that finale of If You Wear That Velvet Dress, Please, and Wake Up Dead Man is probably only bested by that of Achtung Baby's.

Simply their last great album.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2017, 01:58:05 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It's Pop for me, of course!

That opening trio of Discotheque, Do You Feel Loved, and Mofo is the best grouping of songs in U2's entire catalog. Plus, that finale of If You Wear That Velvet Dress, Please, and Wake Up Dead Man is probably only bested by that of Achtung Baby's.

Simply their last great album.
Yep!
I have to admit that AB is my favorite album, but at the same time, I think I listen to POP more often...as usual, I'm living in a land of confusion.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2017, 01:59:16 PM »
You see already the ATYCLB votes are silent....4-2 early doors to Pop but not a single pro ATYCLB comment...

Come on 'Behinders' speak up loud and proud!

Okay, I'll put myself up to be lamb to the slaughter of the Pop fanatics.  I don’t dislike Pop but I voted ATYCLB.  ATYCLB is a record full of great songs and with the exception of Stuck in a Moment and Elevation, the songs sound distinctly like U2, and not generic “MOR” as some would like us to believe.  The production has more innovation to it than many would have us believe – does anyone think Brian Eno would allow the band to put out plod?  It is an excellently executed record on which U2 succeed in producing just the kind of record they wanted to make.  They toured it in the relatively intimate space of arenas and it was a good era for the band.

Pop has quality material on it but is ultimately a disappointment.  People like to believe the band were being radical when they made it, and no doubt Bono is at his deepest on the lyrics, but musically, they compromised themselves too much.  On the one hand they’re trying to sound young and hip, in touch with the yoof - i.e. trying to make it sound like an Orbital or Prodigy record - and being millionaire 30-somethings living cloistered lives in mansions far away from what “the street” this is rather embarrassing.  On the other they want to reach a mass audience so get cold feet about being too electronic, and put some standard rock songs like Staring at the Sun and If God Will Send His Angels on it.  Not all the band seemed comfortable trying to make this album (I think Larry has been particularly vocal about this) and the tensions don’t make for a great record.  It is also a bleak affair.  One of the special things about U2 is that they take us through dark and difficult emotions but come out the other side with love and hope triumphing.  On Pop despair wins, and there are plenty of bands that do despair way better than U2.

In terms of pure songwriting ATYCLB is a better record.  If U2 hadn’t compromised with Pop and tried to put the material into conventional rock structures it may have been a much better record.  Mofo and Miami are two songs where the artistic vision wins through and are highlights.  I also adore If You Wear That Velvet Dress, which is intense and beautiful.  Too much of the rest of it doesn’t work for me: Do You Feel Loved starts with a decent grove but climaxes in a boring chorus, as does Last Night on Earth.  Wake Up Dead Man is a really simple idea and a boring song.

Pop isn’t a bad record but it’s far from being one of U2’s best.

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2017, 02:00:11 PM »
Man, Pop has such a special place in my heart…  I consider several songs on Pop to be much stronger than anything on ATYCLB…  But ATYCLB has more consistently, solidly crafted tunes…

And I have such fond memories of where I was in my life when Pop was released – it was the perfect album for the perfect summer…   However, the songs “Playboy Mansion,” and “If God Will Send His Angels” are two of my least-favorite U2 songs.  But then, “Peace on Earth” makes even me want to smack Bono with a backhand…

It sort of pains me to say it, but I'll have to go with All That You Can't Leave Behind.  I'd rate ATYCLB higher if they hadn't done HTDAAB after.  As I always say, "once U2 started to look back, it’s been difficult for them to look forward again.”  They both inhabit the same tier in my U2antheon, but I sure wish U2 would go back to the adventurous spirit of Pop, that’s for sure. 

Offline MPare1966

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Trying to throw my arms around the world.
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2017, 02:18:54 PM »
Voted ATYCLB.

Both albums are far from my favorites from our lads, but if I had to pick one of the 2 to put in the old CD player, I'd go with ATYCLB.

Offline acrobat62

• Elevated
  • I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2017, 02:19:05 PM »
I voted Pop but to echo I think what    il_capo said in different word, the whole ATYCLB era was planed out and executed much better, tighter and with more focus the the Pop era

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Smack in the centre of contradiction = place to be
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2017, 02:24:02 PM »
Pop gave birth to ATYCLB... or rather the relatively poor album sales and tour gave birth to it.

I voted Pop, but the band members would vote ATYCLB in terms of which songs they'd prefer to play live (because more people in their audience knows those songs from the Grammy award winning album.)

Offline acrobat62

• Elevated
  • I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2017, 02:26:51 PM »
Pop gave birth to ATYCLB... or rather the relatively poor album sales and tour gave birth to it.

I voted Pop, but the band members would vote ATYCLB in terms of which songs they'd prefer to play live (because more people in their audience knows those songs from the Grammy award winning album.)

I wonder which they prefer to play when just knocking around the studio and not in front of a crowd?

Offline hollywoodswag

• Wanderer
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2017, 03:37:40 PM »
I'm with you, Johnny......I don't agree with it - in fact i strongly disagree but as 'stating your case' goes it is a fair effort and deserves respect for being so
Much appreciated, and credit where credit is due, the incredible amount of love here for Pop got me listening to it far more than I ever would have otherwise. I've played through it multiple times and likely still will, and I'd even put LNOE up there as one of my favorite U2 songs, so thank you all for that.

However, leave it to me to pick one of everyone's least-favorite Pop tracks, The Playboy Mansion, as one of my favorites from it. ;)

Offline ZEROpartII

• Child of Grace
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2017, 06:23:30 PM »
Pop.  It was adventurous.  Some of the mixing got rushed. But it was bold.  Solid listen.
Atyclb produced a Beatles-esque A-Side anchored by Beautiful Day. The B-side is fairly weak unless you are doing a full album listen. 

Offline u2live

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2017, 06:35:03 PM »
although POP doesn't make my top 5 U2 albums I rank it higher than ATYCLB due to the fact that it was more bold and daring while ATYCLB just seemed to bland going for the radio friendly singles which U2 aren't known for. 

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I Am Here
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2017, 07:07:31 PM »
Very easy decision for me. Pop it is. ATYCLB is probably my least favourite since R&H and even that would be debatable. I cant remember the last time I wouldn't have skipped through Wild Honey and Grace. Not that all of Pop is majestic (Angels and Miami don't do it for me) but just a far more complete, interesting and connected album. I do love Beautiful Day but it is slim pickings after that. 

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2017, 07:43:15 PM »
I would definitely go with "Pop".   I really enjoyed ATYCLB when it came out and I think it matched the zeitgeist of its time, but other than "Kite" and "Walk On" I don't return to it much.  "Pop", on the other hand, has that tremendous opening trio.  As El Capo stated, the lyrics are dark, but the energy level of the tunes make it an ultimately positive affair for me at least.

Offline very good

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2017, 10:00:46 PM »
Might as well go for it:

Discotheque - 7 out of 10
Do you feel loved - 5
Mofo - 8
If God... - 7
Staring at the sun - 8
Last night - 6
Gone - 7
Miami - 5
Playboy - 5
Velvet - 7
Please - 8
Wake up - 5

Beautiful day - 6
Stuck - 7
Elevation - 6
Walk on - 8
Kite - 10
In a little while - 9
Wild honey - 6
Peace on earth - 5
When I look at the world - 6
New York - 6
Grace - 3
Ground beneath (to make it an even 12 tracks) - 7

Totals - Pop = 78 ATYCLB = 79

ATYCLB just sneaks it for me - the triple whammy of walk on/kite/in a little while just about makes up for a disappointing second side.