Author Topic: Declaring September 25 as International Day of U2  (Read 636 times)

Offline wwildhoney

• Babyface
Declaring September 25 as International Day of U2
« on: August 11, 2017, 10:47:46 PM »
So, inspired by the U240 celebrations and yesterday's Duran Duran Appreciation Day, I'd like to declare from this day forward September 25 as the annual International Day of U2 for any and all fans around the world to join together in celebration of this band who have given us so much over the years.  I've put some thought into what this Day could look like  - check it out here You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.  Hope you will join me in celebrations #IDOU217  And apologies for the massive cross-postings on here, U2.com and social media, but I want to get the word out!  Please share!  This could be so awesome!

Offline AliSPNfan

• Running to Stand Still
Re: Declaring September 25 as International Day of U2
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 10:56:20 AM »
Have you thought of contacting someone in the Irish government to officially declare September 25th International U2 Day? Has anyone ever tried to get official recognition for the band as an important cultural phenomenon unique to the Republic of Ireland? I'm surprised it hasn't already happened, though they did get the keys to the city of Dublin a few years ago, if I remember correctly.

I always wear my U2 t-shirts to promote my love for the band but, as September 23rd will be my 53rd birthday and it falls on a Saturday, I will play & watch U2 non-stop that weekend, including on Monday the 25th.Luckily, I live 2 minutes from an Irish pub so I'm sure I'll find an excuse to pop in and request they play U2  ;)

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 01:40:00 PM »
Awesome idea!  I read somewhere that there will soon be a U2 museum in Dublin.  THis U2 day idea would fit in great with that.  I like the idea of the local celebrations too....although in my rural area it might be hard to find fans.  I think increasing awareness of this incredible band in whatever way possible is an outstanding idea!

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • Been around the back, Been around the front.
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 01:44:45 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Have you thought of contacting someone in the Irish government to officially declare September 25th International U2 Day?

Yes, because if there's one thing U2 needs in order to bolster their public perception, it's more forced attention....

Offline wwildhoney

• Babyface
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 11:03:13 PM »
I haven't thought about making it an official thing :D intriguing idea though.  And somehow tying into the new museum - great ideas!  I'll have to think about these! Though, yes, like The Exile, I suspect there would be people who will lash out against the band if they got an official day.  Not that that type of things has ever stopped U2 though...

What a fabulous birthday weekend for you AliSPNfan! And Shineinthesummernight, join on Twitter if your rural area lacks fans :D  We'll keep you company!

Offline Rik

• Babyface
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 06:53:45 AM »
Ha, the United Nations observe international days. And 25 September still available:

Indeally positioned between the International Day of Peace and the International Day for the Total Elimination of Nuclear Weapons. This would really suit U2 (and the world) - no doubt that the UN will be supportive of this great idea!

Just hope Trump will not veto this in the Security Council...

Just kidding, I do like the idea!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 06:56:21 AM by Rik »

Offline AliSPNfan

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 10:33:55 AM »
There's a World Toilet Day, World Tuna Day, an International Jazz Day, an International Day of Yoga,an International Asteroid Day and a World Soil Day---so an International U2 Day wouldn't seem so strange  :D

Offline wwildhoney

• Babyface
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 07:01:37 PM »
There's a World Toilet Day, World Tuna Day, an International Jazz Day, an International Day of Yoga,an International Asteroid Day and a World Soil Day---so an International U2 Day wouldn't seem so strange  :D

Ha ha ha! so true :D  And as it turns out, one of the local theatres in my town is already playing Rattle and Hum on Sept 5, so I'll be starting the celebrating here a bit early :D

Offline ME2

• Wanderer
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 09:28:59 PM »
Since Sept 25 is my birthday, I'll allow it. Make it so. :)

Offline wwildhoney

• Babyface
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 07:29:18 PM »
ha ha ha! awesome! Thank you - it's definitely a go now with that green light! :P   8)

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 07:33:15 PM »
Very punk and rock-n-roll thing to do!

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 03:37:16 PM »
If the @U2 folks talk with interference and other fansites i'm sure it could happen.....

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2017, 09:09:51 AM »
Have you thought of contacting someone in the Irish government to officially declare September 25th International U2 Day? Has anyone ever tried to get official recognition for the band as an important cultural phenomenon unique to the Republic of Ireland? I'm surprised it hasn't already happened, though they did get the keys to the city of Dublin a few years ago, if I remember correctly.

I always wear my U2 t-shirts to promote my love for the band but, as September 23rd will be my 53rd birthday and it falls on a Saturday, I will play & watch U2 non-stop that weekend, including on Monday the 25th.Luckily, I live 2 minutes from an Irish pub so I'm sure I'll find an excuse to pop in and request they play U2  ;)

nice birthday date, 23rd September happens to be mine also. here's a pre-birthday toast to you, as i'll probably be too drunk to be posting anything that day :)

Offline AliSPNfan

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2017, 10:28:11 AM »
Another September 23rd-er  :) Have a fantastic birthday.I'll raise a glass, or three, to you  as well  ;)

Offline wwildhoney

• Babyface
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2017, 06:12:06 PM »
So I received a lot of support last week for #internationaldayofu2,  including several great ideas to help get the day up and running.  One of those ideas was to create a FB Event page for the Day (Thank you Virginie) - so here it is below (not sure how this link will work outside of Facebook but I try :D). If it doesn't link - just search in FB for International Day of U2 in Events. 

(I've set the date in Edmonton time, but for all the hours that it is September 25 somewhere in the world...)

Please join and/or share the link as you wish!

I also added a page to my blog You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  to list any known planned events for the day (or around the day)- I already have 2 - the U241 Celebration at The Church in Dublin, and Rattle and Hum at the Metro Theatre in Edmonton - both planned before I sent out the first post - so happy coincidences!

Also - if you want to translate any of this post or the FB event page or blog pages into other languages, please do and send to me - I will add to all these pages.  It is an International Day after all!!