Author Topic: Bono and #BeInconvenient  (Read 627 times)

Offline Manos73

• Numb
  • Stop trying to change the world, I like it.
Bono and #BeInconvenient
« on: August 14, 2017, 09:50:04 AM »
Currently an earth science/environment major at university and Bono's involvement seems pretty inconvenient all around. Can't think of anyone with a larger carbon footprint. He should also probably talk to The Edge about his mountain top development. This is were Bono can get on my nerves. The hypocrisy doesn't impact the attitude. He would need to do a lot more before he gets up to preach on this topic.

Offline JTNash

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: Bono and #BeInconvenient
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 10:24:45 AM »
I mean give him a break it's not like he pollutes as much as a large corporation.  I would think he makes an effort personally.  Maybe we can get him to used refillable water bottles and reusable shopping bags.  Do you think he should walk everywhere or never tour? If we all do a little it makes a difference.

As for the Edges house I live near a lake it probably should not have had houses built by it but it did, and we enjoy living here. 

Offline Catlithco

• Stateless
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 11:30:23 AM »
I can hardly understand Bono bashing on hmm like their own Facebook page, but I can't understand on a U2 fan page, from fans ... for their fans. ::)
He does good in other causes. Of course, they are travelling a lot by airplane, but let me tell you: I did so either to see them on this tour. And I will do the same when they're on their next tour. Normally, my friends use to roll their eyes around when I tell them not to buy Nestle & Co. But should I've stayed at home, waiting for the JTT DVD to be released?
You can't do every little thing political/ethical/environmental correct. Neither Bono. But you can do good as compensation when you did wrong. And that's even more than most of the people do.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 11:34:26 AM by Catlithco »

Offline Manos73

• Numb
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 11:32:01 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I mean give him a break it's not like he pollutes as much as a large corporation.  I would think he makes an effort personally.  Maybe we can get him to used refillable water bottles and reusable shopping bags.  Do you think he should walk everywhere or never tour? If we all do a little it makes a difference.

As for the Edges house I live near a lake it probably should not have had houses built by it but it did, and we enjoy living here. 

What I expect him not do is give a sermon on the mount from the boot of his car. This is exactly the type of behavior Bono calls out politicians on. So I learned to do it from the best.

Offline JTNash

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 11:44:31 AM »

What I expect him not do is give a sermon on the mount from the boot of his car. This is exactly the type of behavior Bono calls out politicians on. So I learned to do it from the best.
really he shouldnt try to make a difference because he Tossed all his K cups from coffe in the trash? It's largely caused by corporations this is where the largest impact can be made. We all need to pitch in for sure but he's not doing anything the rest of us are.  Large factories and big oil have a much larger impact on the environment.

Offline Manos73

• Numb
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 11:53:33 AM »

really he shouldnt try to make a difference because he Tossed all his K cups from coffe in the trash? It's largely caused by corporations this is where the largest impact can be made. We all need to pitch in for sure but he's not doing anything the rest of us are.  Large factories and big oil have a much larger impact on the environment.

I'm not saying he shouldn't fly or hold concerts. What I can't stand is his preaching on environmentalism. He does the cause no favors. To use language he (and maybe others) would understand: "first remove the beam out of your own eye, and then you can see clearly to remove the speck out of your brother’s eye." Matthew 7:5. Bono has built a career on calling people out. He should be held to the same standard.

Offline JTNash

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 11:59:51 AM »

I'm not saying he shouldn't fly or hold concerts. What I can't stand is his preaching on environmentalism. He does the cause no favors. To use language he (and maybe others) would understand: "first remove the beam out of your own eye, and then you can see clearly to remove the speck out of your brother’s eye." Matthew 7:5. Bono has built a career on calling people out. He should be held to the same standard.
what do you want him to do? What would be good enough in your eyes? We can send him a note I'm sure he will get right one it.

Offline Manos73

• Numb
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 12:02:19 PM »

what do you want him to do? What would be good enough in your eyes? We can send him a note I'm sure he will get right one it.
Every time celebrities preach on environmentalism, the middle class cares a little less about the cause. So is it so much to say, do the cause a favor and shut up about it? Glad you care, you're doing more harm than good.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 12:07:42 PM by Manos73 »

Offline Catlithco

• Stateless
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 12:07:06 PM »

::)
What do you do for environmental causes? Where do you live? Do you do waste separation as I do (I live in Germany, we do it here)? I'm getting bored of people who say "he/she should stop preaching about xyz because he/she does the same" and at the same time these people do less than nothing. Its the same when these people talk about his engagement. They blame him for not donating the half of his fortune. But would these people donate half of their income????
He might donate money, he might not, but in any case he spends his time for these causes. Isn't that enough?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 12:11:48 PM by Catlithco »

Offline JTNash

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 12:09:42 PM »
What specifically should Bono do to be more environmentally conscious?  I'm asking really?

Things I do pick up trash, recycle when I can, I use reusable shopping bags and water bottles.  BUT I drive 20 miles each way to work in an SUV and eat yogurt and throw away the plastic cup each day, I've been on two vacations via airplane one to see U2. 

So again what should he do better I'm asking for me also

Offline JTNash

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 12:12:58 PM »

What do you do for environmental causes? Where do you live? Do you do waste separation as I do (I live in Germany, we do it here)? I'm getting bored of people who say "he/she should stop preaching about xyz because he/she does the same" and at the same time these people do less than nothing. Its the same when these people talk about his engagement. They blame him for not donating the half of his fortune. But would these people donate half of their income????
He might donate money, he might not, but in any case he spends his time for these causes. Isn't that enough?
I mean he should be superman I
Guess lol

Offline Catlithco

• Stateless
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 12:14:52 PM »

I mean he should be superman I
Guess lol

We'll, he's a kind of superman to us, don't you think so?  ;D

Offline Manos73

• Numb
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2017, 12:15:11 PM »
What specifically should Bono do to be more environmentally conscious?  I'm asking really?

Things I do pick up trash, recycle when I can, I use reusable shopping bags and water bottles.  BUT I drive 20 miles each way to work in an SUV and eat yogurt and throw away the plastic cup each day, I've been on two vacations via airplane one to see U2. 

Do his best not to make this year's environmental hypocrite awards would be a start. That wouldn't be good for the cause or U2. The optics of this are horrible. For someone who cares so much about branding, shocked he doesn't see this.

Offline Catlithco

• Stateless
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2017, 12:16:54 PM »
Where's the yawn smiley....
You preach that Bono should not preach, and at the same time you cause environmental damage by using a computer that needs electricity from (probably American) nuclear power plants? :D
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 12:24:00 PM by Catlithco »

Offline JTNash

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2017, 12:23:08 PM »

Do his best not to make this year's environmental hypocrite awards would be a start. That wouldn't be good for the cause or U2. The optics of this are horrible. For someone who cares so much about branding, shocked he doesn't see this.
I don't even know what this means