Author Topic: Daniel Lanois  (Read 768 times)

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
Daniel Lanois
« on: August 16, 2017, 08:25:03 AM »
I picked up Danny's "Shine" dvd at a local Goodwill Store yesterday for $2.49. Just listened to it. I guess musically it's nice, actually very pretty guitar work in some places. But, is it just me, or is it just horrible lyrically? I think Danny made some wonderful contributions to U2's music over the years...but his solo stuff? I'm most likely going to return it for credit today. Is it just me?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 09:13:57 AM by riffraff »

Offline Smee

• Numb
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
Re: Daniel Lanois
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 09:40:18 AM »
Danny Lanois is an aquired taste. Either you get him or you dont. Its a BIG MISTAKE to make if you are expecting u2 2.0.

As it goes, Im a big fan of his and have all his albums. I was into his album Acadie in 1987ish, long before i made the connection between him and u2. I discovered him on his own merits :)

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 12:50:26 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Danny Lanois is an aquired taste. Either you get him or you dont. Its a BIG MISTAKE to make if you are expecting u2 2.0.

As it goes, Im a big fan of his and have all his albums. I was into his album Acadie in 1987ish, long before i made the connection between him and u2. I discovered him on his own merits :)
Well, maybe I'll look for the Acadie album...I hate to give up on anything! The one thing that I really disliked about Shine was the seemingly constant repetition of lyric...but maybe I'll try him again.

Oh, I just noticed that I typed "dvd" in my original post...oops...of course I meant cd.

I knew it wouldn't be U2 2.0...wasn't really expecting that. But I WAS expecting more than I got. Thanks for the feedback, Smee. I'll try him again...
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 04:36:46 PM by riffraff »

Offline Marvinho

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 02:21:40 AM »
The Acadie LP is a wonderful record. Perfect for calm and quiet moments. His other stuff is also worth a look especially "For The Beauty of Wynona".

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 04:28:44 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The Acadie LP is a wonderful record. Perfect for calm and quiet moments. His other stuff is also worth a look especially "For The Beauty of Wynona".
Thanks...

Offline Tortuga

• Refugee
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 06:17:09 AM »
Well some of those reptitive lyrics are Bono's (Falling at Your Feet).  Its agreat album.  Give it some time.  Its only $2.50!   I Love You and San Juan are you he stand outs.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NJ, NYC 3,Belfast 1,2
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 07:10:46 AM »
Space Kay is my favourite.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 08:22:51 AM »
Funny you guys mentioned San Juan and Space Kay - they were the only two that I liked at all...Falling At Your Feet was, uh, okay.

Offline MEMORY_MAN

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I must follow the path to the endless road...
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 04:31:11 PM »
My favorite of his is "Here Is What Is".  Has nice documentary with it as well.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 04:48:00 PM »
Riff Raff just watch the doc

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 05:29:30 PM »
I'll check it out on youtube...not spending any more money on him yet! Thanks, guys, for the input.

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2017, 09:38:40 PM »
I love, love, love Daniel Lanois  :-* He sometimes streams live jamming sessions on facebook. He's not into promoting his name, but promoting music and musicians, and he works with many different ones. A couple of years ago he recorded an album Black Dub with a few other musicians. I like it a lot, it's a little different than Danny alone, yet very much like him. He also produced for Bob Dylan. Listen to Not Dark Yet by Bob Dylan. It oozes Lanois.
The Maker is one of his most famous songs from Arcadie. I love Willy Nelson's version from Theatro, Danny plays with him and Emmylou Harris sings backups for Willy.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2017, 07:48:49 AM »
Teatro... great album. I heard a remastered version is coming soon.