Author Topic: A thought after reading some quite strong words.  (Read 449 times)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
A thought after reading some quite strong words.
« on: August 17, 2017, 03:57:13 PM »
I very rarely read the main "atu2" site but i ended up in there tonight and ended up reading a piece on there written by Matt McGee.

The piece talked about (among other things) some comments the author had previously made about the queueing systems for the standing areas at u2 shows and the well documented 'issues' that arise.

McGee's main focus and quite clear annoyance centred on the responses his comments had drawn - culminating in these comments:

"So whatever you thought of the article, please drop the idea that I wrote it so I can improve my chances of being close to the band. And, please, the next time I write something you don't like -- or anyone on this staff writes something you don't like -- be a man/woman about it and talk to me/us directly rather than casting judgment against us behind our backs."

I took a deeper look at the site and articles on it including the article that drew the comments that led to the comments above and something just jumped out at me...

The articles on the site do not offer a "Comments section"... I read quite a few fan sites and most of them have a "Comments section" attached to articles....these comments sections can also be found on lots of news sites.

Would it not be a good idea to add a comments feature to some or even all the articles on the site?

1. People could then "Talk to me/us directly rather than casting judgment against us behind our backs." (To quote Matt McGee)

2. You as authors could engage with readers directly on the articles/share thoughts etc and hey even come up with ideas etc.

3. Healthy open discussion contained on the site where the issue is published is often more productive than a discussion spread across different sites/medias.

4. News is news and is stating fact - people like to discuss news but I for one can see why a comments section may not be needed for news articles.....opinion pieces (that are emotive and well put) like the one that has caused the author to feel compelled to say what he said are always going to illicit strong views from others - giving the right to reply on the articles would in my view be a good idea and help avoid what has annoyed the author in this case...as well as promote interesting discussion.

I also noticed that the article, the article that drew the comments being discussed and lots of other articles are all posted under a 'News' section and further listed under the heading 'The news today'.

Maybe it might be worth separating these opinion pieces/articles and creating a section for them on the site that keeps them separate from news.

'U2 announce gig in An Tha's estate grounds - Bono says we won't play Elevation' is News....

'U2 should play gig at An Tha towers, and defintely should play Elevation' is opinion.

By keeping the two separate/not presenting opinion as news you may be able to improve the experience for readers and authors, improve traffic and invite comments on opinion pieces
...all of which could help make the site better.

Cheers

An Tha

Here is the article (you are welcome for the promotion!  ;))

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

By the way I enjoyed reading some stuff on there may visit more often....

« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 04:48:49 AM by an tha »

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
Re: A thought after reading some quite strong words.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 06:10:01 AM »
I thought Matt's article was decent - I agree with him about arriving at 7 or 8 and having space to breathe rather than being crushed up and tired at the front after queuing.  It is also clear he had the best intentions in writing what he did and was not trying to rig things in his own favour.

I think an tha's comments idea under articles is a really good one - I think a decent article deserves to be the starting point for discussion, and a comments option would be great if technically doable (as I expect it is).

Offline Hawkmoon2e

• Administrator
  • Running to Stand Still
  • Deserve's got nothin' to do with it
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 12:14:26 PM »
The issue of comments sections on news sites is a highly debated topic, and it seems that many sites are phasing them out completely. Regardless, though, it just isn’t something we’ve ever wanted to do.

There is a ‘Contact @u2’ section right on the homepage, where you’ll find our staff directory. It’s a direct way to communicate with everyone on staff.

HTH

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 06:17:09 PM »
The issue of comments sections on news sites is a highly debated topic, and it seems that many sites are phasing them out completely. Regardless, though, it just isn’t something we’ve ever wanted to do.

There is a ‘Contact @u2’ section right on the homepage, where you’ll find our staff directory. It’s a direct way to communicate with everyone on staff.

HTH

Ok....Thanks for reply....it would seem from Matt McGee's comments that maybe people don't use the 'contact' details....

I wonder if maybe it might help to promote the contact us section at the end of articles so people are invited to use it/aware of it.

Comments then are less likely maybe to quote be 'made behind backs'

Might be worth as said looking at tbe difference between news and opinion....with the greatest of respect even well written articles like the one mentioned here is not news - it is opinion/ like a blog.

I personally feel the difference is significant and that difference makes a big difference to how readers react.

Best

An Tha
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 06:43:21 PM by an tha »

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 06:09:33 AM »
No point starting a new thread so just whacked this in here..

Any reason why this thread is locked?

No explanation on thread - I know in past the odd thread has been locked by accident.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 06:28:30 AM »

No explanation on thread - I know in past the odd thread has been locked by accident.

There was a concern raised about the thread - I suspect its being locked until it can be reviewed properly - it happened over night so I'll  need to check in with the guys across the pond

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 06:39:41 AM »

There was a concern raised about the thread - I suspect its being locked until it can be reviewed properly - it happened over night so I'll  need to check in with the guys across the pond

Thanks