Author Topic: Would you go to this U2 concert?  (Read 1167 times)

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
Re: Would you go to this U2 concert?
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2017, 05:41:45 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Also include Song for Someone on this play list.

and Staring at the Sun and Discotheque.. :'(

id love to hear SATS and obv Discotheque in concert again

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2017, 05:44:24 PM »

BOOM CHA !!!

Offline Bono in love with himself

• Wanderer
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2017, 06:27:19 PM »

BOOM CHA !!!

Discotheque was a great song that nobody ever gave a chance cause the haters hated on the film clip.

That was U2s mistake

The song itself is absolutely brilliant.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2017, 06:38:02 PM »

BOOM CHA !!!

Discotheque was a great song that nobody ever gave a chance cause the haters hated on the film clip.

That was U2s mistake

I wouldn't place any of the fault on U2, but rather on Joe Public for its inability to understand the satirical and ironic messages behind the video. I think that it's a genius music video in that sense.

• Wanderer
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2017, 06:44:43 PM »

BOOM CHA !!!

That was U2s mistake

I wouldn't place any of the fault on U2, but rather on Joe Public for its inability to understand the satirical and ironic messages behind the video. I think that it's a genius music video in that sense.

I actually agree with you WW. It was out there and smart and sassy and a great song and for the first time for some reason; the public rejected U2 after having loved them as the best and biggest band in the world for over a decade.

What did Joe Public want?

It is a musical journey...

Joe Public got ZOO TV!!!

They got The Fly!!!

they got the buffaloes falling off the cliff in the vid for One!!!

They got McPhisto!!!

They got Pop and Zooropa!!!!

Why couldn't Joe Public get U2 as the Village People????? with a fantastic uptempo semi hip hop dance beat to their music????
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 06:47:21 PM by Bono in love with himself »

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2017, 07:20:21 PM »

BOOM CHA !!!

That was U2s mistake

right. i really don't think the K-Mart stunt or Vegas disaster were to blame. it was that they weren't going to redo the JT/R&H sound. i feel like One and MW carried the band through Zoo TV with Joe Q. and Zooropa had Stay but wasn't really a huge hit. the Village People thing just put people off. they could enjoy new characters and the over the top originality of Zoo TV but the village people video and the mcdonalds stage, as it was seen, were to much.

• Wanderer
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2017, 07:36:28 PM »
This is comparing apples to oranges. U2, argueabley one of the 5 greatest bands to ever walk the planet, 2 classic albums (3 if you include War) under their belt before Popmart. Pop was hardly experimentation in my book. Zooropa is much more of an "experimental" album. Pop is just a great rock 'n' roll album.
 Popmart was not much different than ZooTV. A couple of muscle shirts and cowboy hats, but damn the Fly and Macphisto and Mirror ball man all were on ZooTV.

Popmart and Pop were maligned by critics who all jumped on a bandwagon and went with it because it was time for U2 to take a few lumps again. Every time they are on top, they get knocked down a few rungs and they get up and climb to the top again.
 I remember an issue of Q Magazine with U2 on the cover and a Bono quote saying - "We were loved, then hated, then loved, and now we're hated again."

It's a cycle. A cycle that many artists can't handle and end up disintegrating.

"Pop" Sounds like techno and dance bar influenced music, and a touch of electronica. That's what the thing with it was, it WASN'T rock and roll. They had gotten away from rock and were trying something else. There are way more whistles and noises than guitar.

Pop was too difficult to understand and digest for the reviewers that they thought it must be art. So they praised it to the high heavens. It was only when the smoke cleared and Pop tanked commercially that the reviewers retracked their statements and gave POP bad year-end reviews, or looking back reviews.
I also agree that Zoo TV was way more out there than Popmart. Popmart was sort of an extension of Zoo though. But MacPhisto was WAY more over the top than anything on Popmart. For Zoo, Bono was basically acting playing characters (ie The Fly and MacPhisto). There was none of this on Popmart. Based on this, Zoo was way more like Mr. Roboto. Although, I agree with most, there is no comparison between U2 and Styx. Its not even apples to oranges to me. Its more like apples to grape fruit pits.

the test of album is if I'am still listening to it frequently a year or so later. Honestly, I dont listen to POP much. If I want to hear any POP songs I put in a bootleg of the tour over listening to the actual album.

If you saw Popmart you know that it was huge and full of lights and some funky getups that the guys wore. It was also a ton of fun. And still packed with feeling. They brought me to tears every time with Please - into - Streets. Bono's voice was hurting a bit that tour which did distract a little, but other than that, the 5 shows I saw were awesome.

As for critics. I never said it was a "conspiracy", but Blue Room said it well. Critics pile on. You say that critics "don't all know eachother" but I'll tell you from having some inside knowledge of this - critics are LAZY. They don't take the time to listen to every album several times getting their own perspective on it. They say, "oh I've heard this album sucks and they didn't sell out their concert here, and U2, God, they are so full of themselves, always acting like they are the biggest and the best."

Next thing you know, bad review, and the chain reaction starts. I've seen it happen to Pearl Jam, REM, Oasis, Metiallica, the list goes on and on.... And you're wrong that POP was trashed only after it was "down". Remember that the tickets for the tour went on sale BEFORE the album even came out! ticket sales were sluggish in many markets around the country compared to ZOOTV. This was when I saw the first attack from the critics. There were some initial good reviews which there always are because, lets be honest, big publications don't always have the balls to rip on a big band like U2, until it's fashionable, then they jump right in. (ie. Rolling Stone and Spin both did a 180 on Pop and trashed it after giving it good reviews)

I think the reason some people get defensive about POP is because they feel it's misunderstood, and personally I had to listen to so many so-so U2 fans b**** about that album only to find out they only heard Discoteque and never actually bought the album. It's frustrating, especially when POP is the one album I find myself going back to again and again. It is still sounding fresh in my opinion.

Did I not read somewhere that while Pop was considered the worse album of its year, the Spice Girls' album was the 'best'? I just keep that in mind when people discuss the (un)success of Pop..... 

I can live with that view of POP. It is a bit of a quandary sometimes as a cohesive album. Wasn't Bono's comment something like: It's starts out as a party and ends as a funeral. Something like that.

Just for everyone's peace of mind, Salome prefers the consumate rip-offs perpetrated by Angus Young, at the expense of one Jimmy Page. Rock on brother.

Offline Pride

• Numb
  • North Dakota is best Dakota
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2017, 08:27:20 PM »
Definitely. Usually the songs people don't like are ones that U2 have rarely if ever played live. I'd definitely go see SATT, SIASL, Is That All?, The Refugee, Red Light, 4th of July, EPAA, SDABTO, Miami, Playboy Mansion, WILATW, Grace, AMAAW, OSC, and all of NLOTH live.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2017, 04:07:51 AM »
Definitely. Usually the songs people don't like are ones that U2 have rarely if ever played live. I'd definitely go see SATT, SIASL, Is That All?, The Refugee, Red Light, 4th of July, EPAA, SDABTO, Miami, Playboy Mansion, WILATW, Grace, AMAAW, OSC, and all of NLOTH live.
This is exactly what I expected...good answer! YAY!

Offline 73October

• Numb
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2017, 11:27:34 AM »
This is exactly what I expected...good answer! YAY!
Yes and I would go too.  Because even if they played a set of their rarities:
1. they would sound really really good even if the band were still getting to grips with the songs live - because they are U2 and even a pretty poor show on their standards would be better than a good show on some bands standards (this isn't purely bias - they genuinely can play live)
2. they would look really really good even if Willie didn't do a fancy stage set for them.  Because they use their (and Morleigh's) wisdom and experience of using the stage to their maximum potential. example: TLTTGYA - no visuals and lots of people have commented previously on how powerful their 'coming together' was at the songs climax (stood in a circle facing toward each other)
3. RHMT - a case in point.  The song has come into its own on this tour.  Also TTYW has sounded better as the tour progressed.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2017, 01:23:31 PM »

BOOM CHA !!!

That was U2s mistake

I'm going to agree with this. The video was jokey, but the song was not. That's a nasty riff and bassline in that song.

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2017, 09:35:09 PM »
Depends on what's stronger I suppose, your love for U2 or your love for music.