Don't mind
6 (42.9%)
Would go see if local
6 (42.9%)
Love U2's music regardless of who is playing it
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: September 22, 2017, 07:41:11 AM

Author Topic: U2 Tribute bands  (Read 614 times)

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
Re: U2 Tribute bands
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2017, 07:10:45 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It just seems rather pathetic to spend all your time imitating someone else rather than being true to yourself and finding your own muse.

read my post please

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2017, 09:44:51 PM »
I would (and have) watch if local.  I watched a tribute band in the Cavern in Liverpool with a few other Zootopians from the U2.com forum circa 2005 and had a decent day.
As long as your up for some fun and are able to not take things too serious then its all good.
For those who want to take a note pad and pen and pull apart the performance by comparing it to the real thing, then avoid like the plague.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 02:34:58 AM by Blueyedboy »

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2017, 08:52:06 AM »
To those saying originality is better than copying an artist--well, fine.  However, the choice to be in a cover or tribute band is often more a financial one than anything else.  If you're playing a known band's songs, venues will pay you for it, because they in turn will be able to market a known quantity to the public, who will turn up.  The same musicians turning up to play original stuff?  Well, good luck getting folks beside your friends and family to show up, and good luck getting paid.  For folks who have day jobs and want something fun to make some extra money, being in a cover band is a fine way to go.

A friend of mine is in a band with me doing original stuff, as well as a Green Day cover band.  He probably gets paid more for a single gig in the Green Day band than several gigs combined with the original stuff.

There is a local Bowie tribute act called Sons of the Silent Age, which I've now seen more times than I saw Bowie himself.  Are they better than the real thing?  Well, no.  But they're a damn fine band, and a lot of fun.  Plus, a way to see songs live that, even when he was still alive and touring, he wasn't going to touch.

Not to mention, knowing how to play and being creative enough to create something new are two pretty different talents.  How many symphonic players are asked not to play classics, but create something new instead?

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2017, 11:28:47 AM »
To those saying originality is better than copying an artist--well, fine.  However, the choice to be in a cover or tribute band is often more a financial one than anything else.  If you're playing a known band's songs, venues will pay you for it, because they in turn will be able to market a known quantity to the public, who will turn up.  The same musicians turning up to play original stuff?  Well, good luck getting folks beside your friends and family to show up, and good luck getting paid.  For folks who have day jobs and want something fun to make some extra money, being in a cover band is a fine way to go.

A friend of mine is in a band with me doing original stuff, as well as a Green Day cover band.  He probably gets paid more for a single gig in the Green Day band than several gigs combined with the original stuff.

There is a local Bowie tribute act called Sons of the Silent Age, which I've now seen more times than I saw Bowie himself.  Are they better than the real thing?  Well, no.  But they're a damn fine band, and a lot of fun.  Plus, a way to see songs live that, even when he was still alive and touring, he wasn't going to touch.

Not to mention, knowing how to play and being creative enough to create something new are two pretty different talents.  How many symphonic players are asked not to play classics, but create something new instead?

all this is spot on. you won't win many over with your argument that "it pays more" but i do agree and i'm sure that has a lot to do with it as well. i've seen an original band open<a damn good one, but they didn't have CDs for sale> for themselves, as a Prince tribute <and an AMAZING one at that!> and i've seen tributes that crapped the bed in a bad way. the thing is, if you're a real fan of live music, you'll never get to see Bowie play. or the original Queen line up, same with the Beatles, Zepp, Beastie Boys, MJ, the list goes on and on. If a tribute is amazing in concert, what's wrong with them passionately playing a setlist of hits/deep cuts the real band wouldn't/didn't play? I want to hear the Beatles live, not just Paul, but a set of strictly Beatles songs picked by fans. So i saw Rain and i was blown the bleep away. i really don't think it's hurting anyone and it's just mean spirited to call them pathetic or insecure.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2017, 11:41:47 AM »

all this is spot on. you won't win many over with your argument that "it pays more" but i do agree and i'm sure that has a lot to do with it as well. i've seen an original band open<a damn good one, but they didn't have CDs for sale> for themselves, as a Prince tribute <and an AMAZING one at that!> and i've seen tributes that crapped the bed in a bad way. the thing is, if you're a real fan of live music, you'll never get to see Bowie play. or the original Queen line up, same with the Beatles, Zepp, Beastie Boys, MJ, the list goes on and on. If a tribute is amazing in concert, what's wrong with them passionately playing a setlist of hits/deep cuts the real band wouldn't/didn't play? I want to hear the Beatles live, not just Paul, but a set of strictly Beatles songs picked by fans. So i saw Rain and i was blown the bleep away. i really don't think it's hurting anyone and it's just mean spirited to call them pathetic or insecure.

Yep. And that U2-tribute band, Elevation? I saw them do rarities the band haven't touched in decades. I saw the Bowie tribute do Low in its entirety, and a Pink Floyd one do the Wish You Were Here album. These are also at a fraction of the price for the original acts.

There's also a local act called Tributasaurus whose whole act is to "become" different bands. I saw them do a whole night of Tom Petty stuff on New Years Eve years ago. They're doing REM at a festival this weekend. (I'm not going.) They did Prince last year. They're probably one of the most successful local bands these days--they have a solid reputation for musicianship and entertainment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2017, 11:49:12 AM »
Yea i've seen prob. close to 80 or so covers/tributes. some were un-effin-real <look up Elton: The Early Years if you like Elton John>. yknow how much i pay? ZERO. i normally don't have to pay a dime, or i just message someone on the band's fb page for tickets. well unless its house of blues and i want a seat in the balcony, then i pay.

theres 1 tribute festival here call the Jack FM Throwback ive been to each year they done it, 3 stages from 5 Pm -12 Pm for $10.

ya most all the tributes ive seen <not the U2 ones> regularly do an old album in it's entirety, followed by b-sides and other songs. most of them are era-specific i.e. the Van Halen ones only do Diamond Dave stuff, etc.

Offline DK46

• Refugee
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2017, 01:19:42 PM »
More or less innocuous to me, I probably couldn't be bothered to go to see one though.  But music speaks differently to everyone, and while I do love singing and playing songs by my favorite artists, I couldn't go on stage and perform them.   So yeah, that takes some guts and it's nice to hear people's interpretations/covers of songs. 

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2017, 05:57:24 PM »
There are even venues in the UK that exist thanks to the paying fans of Tribute acts. There's one place in Crewe that regularly have these acts, The JAMM,  By Jovi, A Whole Lot of Led and AB,CD usually get a good number of followers attending.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2017, 07:37:43 PM »
There are even venues in the UK that exist thanks to the paying fans of Tribute acts. There's one place in Crewe that regularly have these acts, The JAMM,  By Jovi, A Whole Lot of Led and AB,CD usually get a good number of followers attending.

the ACDC one here, Back In Black is a BIG deal. There's a Beastie Boys tribute i see often, or used to, Rhymin N' Stealin, they draw massive crowds to the House of Blues main stage.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2017, 08:04:05 PM »
Well, you have a good point, Thrill Ho; it does take a good deal of precision to do a cover.  I've seen AC/DC and Journey cover bands.  They're okay.  If I could sing as closely as they can to some popular band I'm sure I'd take advantage of my talent  8)

Offline Marvinho

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2017, 08:49:56 AM »
In the UK we now have the phenomena of "Fake Festivals" where a poster boasts a line up of U2! Foo Fighters! Oasis! Blondie! and so on. Apparently they are very popular. The public, it would seem, just wanna hear the classics. The ones they know. I'll go to see tribute acts if they are in my hometown or surrounding area and not too dear on the doors/tickets. I've seen U2 UK once and they were brilliant in a small theatre, as were the Blondie tribute band I've seen a number of times and will see again in a fortnight. As a huge fan of these two bands, seeing a tribute is, as someone said, the next best thing when you haven't got the real thing. It's fun if you don't take it too seriously and the bands are good at it. I did see U2 recently and will see the real Blondie in November though. I'm having my cake and eating it.

One thing I do find strange is when the tribute bands do "after show meet and greets" as if you are meeting Bono or Debbie Harry and sell t-shirts and CDs. Why would I buy and listen to a double live CD of a U2 cover band live in wherever? I go watch them as they are available and U2 aren't but when I get home I'm putting the real U2 on!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 11:11:05 AM by Marvinho »

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2017, 09:14:24 AM »
In the UK we now have the phenomena of "Fake Festivals" where a poster boasts a line up of U2! Foo Fighters! Oasis! Blondie! and so on. Apparently they are very popular. The public, it would seem, just wanna hear the classics. The ones they know. I'll go to see tribute acts if they are in my hometown or surrounding area and not to dear on the doors/tickets. I've seen U2 UK once and they were brilliant in a small theatre, as were the Blondie tribute band I've seen a number of times and will see again in a fortnight. As a huge fan of these two bands, seeing a tribute is, as someone said, the next best thing when you haven't got the real thing. It's fun if you don't take it too seriously and the bands are good at it. I did see U2 recently and will see the real Blondie in November though. I'm having my cake and eating it.

One thing I do find strange is when the tribute bands do "after show meet and greets" as if you are meeting Bono or Debbie Harry and sell t-shirts and CDs. Why would I buy and listen to a double live CD of a U2 cover band live in wherever? I go watch them as they are available and U2 aren't but when I get home I'm putting the real U2 on!

Yeah, I agree about the CDs and merch.  The Australian Pink Floyd Show had a lot of t-shirts, and I think CDs, for sale.  I guess if they can make a profit there, cool, but I even remarked when seeing Roger Waters play recently--I don't suppose he sells as many t-shirts and stuff as he would if he could put "Pink Floyd" on it--especially when the vast majority of the material he's performing was Pink Floyd stuff.  And the cover bands are yet another step down from that.  I guess if you find them particularly good, or establish a particular connection with them, sure, why not.  Otherwise, yeah, I don't know why you'd want a cover band's merch.  And really, that's part of what separates the "real" bands from the cover ones.

Offline Smee

• Numb
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2017, 09:53:13 AM »
Loads of people are into flogging merch these days. Most cringeworthy for me (even more so than tribute bands) is Youtubers who sell merch to their "fans". #cringe

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2017, 12:44:56 PM »
the Beastie Boys tribute i see sells shirts whos proceeds go to MCA's foundation.

i have yet to see a tribute selling a cd though, or "meet and greet" that's odd. the shirts stuff is fine if im friends with the band or they just kick ass ill buy a shirt, eventually.