Author Topic: Official San Diego Thread **Spoilers** 22 September 2017  (Read 1443 times)

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
Re: Official San Diego Thread **Spoilers** 22 September 2017
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2017, 04:34:56 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Yea, it was pretty bad.

I thought it was awesome. A warm San Diego evening with the tropical lighting and the big Joshua Tree giving them shade as they play acoustic guitar and bongo drums as Bono swung around and around the mic stand was a lot of fun.

monopoly

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2017, 05:31:48 PM »
Yea, it was pretty bad.

I thought it was awesome. A warm San Diego evening with the tropical lighting and the big Joshua Tree giving them shade as they play acoustic guitar and bongo drums as Bono swung around and around the mic stand was a lot of fun.

Bono should start his own brand of bongos

Offline octoberreckoning

• Babyface
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2017, 06:41:10 PM »
Much, much better than the attempt at a Top 40 single

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2017, 08:29:26 PM »
Yea, it was pretty bad.

Bono should start his own brand of bongos

Bono-Gos to play Verti-Gos and along with U2 Go Home-Gos?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 08:32:09 PM by ian ryan »

Offline jc619er

• Numb
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2017, 10:14:27 PM »
Man the acoustic version of Best Thing About Me was fantastic. What a great twist. I really wish they'd release an acoustic album at some point in their career.

Offline Hawkmoon2e

• Administrator
  • Running to Stand Still
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2017, 01:31:41 AM »
That was a great show. BTW, I didn't mind people leaving during The Best Thing - it gave me more room.

My God, that Edge guy has an acoustic guitar and it's past 11:30! We'd better run and beat the traffic...  ::)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 03:07:34 PM by Hawkmoon2e »

Offline mariomofo

• Babyface
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2017, 02:46:56 PM »
Overall a great show. Acoustic YTBTAM was a nice surprise. Band was in top form throughout. My wife and I had GAs and hung back by the mixing station and had a blast. We were able to get much closer during encore.

One complaint was the amount of reverb in the stadium. I could hear Larry's drums bouncing off the stands left and right! I also saw the Rose Bowl show, and acoustics were much better there. The other -- the traffic! Took us an hour just to go from the freeway exit to the parking lot, resulting in us missing Beck's set entirely (we were driving down from LA, which took 4 hours. Ugh...).

A nice surprise was running into Matt McGee and some other @U2 staffers as we entered the floor. Was able to say hi and thank them for all their hard work and dedication.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 02:51:43 PM by mariomofo »

Offline desertrat

• Babyface
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2017, 03:28:59 PM »
I agree it was another great, passionate show start to finish. I personally loved the acoustic version. We're gonna be hearing the radio/electric version constantly (I like that version as well) so why not have something a little different to end the US tour? It also proves Edge doesn't require effects after all!  ;D I'm sure it was a pretty emotional night for the band as well - recent St. Louis events/cancellation, hurricanes and earthquake victims in mind. Miss Syria back in the setlist, maybe to leave us all here in the States with that lasting image?? (Someone was also very late getting the photo flag moving around).  Maybe just me but I felt Bono was especially emotional and reflective on their US connection in general, again final show here with all the nonsense happening around us, etc? Maybe not.  The reactions of first time JT30 fans around us when the video screen kicks in for Streets was awesome. We had assigned seats roughly at the top of the tree, 6 rows from the field and it was a great view. Everyone around us was cool, into the show and no sitters throughout. Exit and Bullet just continue to be so powerful live. A little disappointed I was was the only Polish Solidarity flag representing during NYD  ;)  "Hold the Edge up even as he holds us all up. The whole 619"
I thought they left it all out there. I will say the stadium is a dump, no wonder their team wanted to move so badly.
Amazing, beautiful night in San Diego. There's a really good quality bootleg of this show on U2Start.com if anyone is interested.

Offline desertrat

• Babyface
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2017, 03:08:41 PM »
Spot on, Miss SD with everything! The lighting was fantastic and you're right how details were clear even from a distance. Good for you for not letting anyone ruin that experience. Exit was so powerful and I honestly did not know the song until this tour started.
It became a favorite.
The emotional intro words and then "this is Bad....Unforgettable Fire" and watching my wife tear up (also her fav) still gives me goosebumps.
Do yourself a favor and get that bootleg audio on U2Start.com It's excellent quality and a great keepsake of an "I was there and can listen over and over" moment. And the "oh yeah, totally forgot he said that".  I forgot about the Rebel Rebel snippet.
It's easy to download and convert to MP3 for iPhone and they have some helpful links. All legal of course because it's all just shared.
On a somber side note, I had to drive to Vegas for business the day after the shooting incident. Having lived there for 11 years and even though we go back regularly to visit, it was a sad drive as I alternated between news of the incident and the Tom Petty vigil being held on XM radio. On the back roads in the middle of the desert I eventually reached the elevation where Joshua trees grow abundantly out here. That was a good time to break off and listen to some of these San Diego songs.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 03:46:21 PM by desertrat »