Author Topic: Clip of Blackout and release news  (Read 23072 times)

Offline Marwood

• Stateless
Re: Clip of Blackout and release news
« Reply #420 on: September 04, 2017, 06:59:02 AM »
With the single getting its official release this week, does anyone think there'll be any proper B-sides/bonus tracks packaged with it (i.e. not some ropy remixes or some live tracks), or should I just wait for the album?

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #421 on: September 04, 2017, 07:08:09 AM »
Do b-sides exist anymore? Seems some artists do "extended" version albums with a few extra songs on them, which is really the b-side material. Or you have to wait for an EP (not a U2 thing) or extras on a greatest hits or a fan club release.

Offline Jono

• Running to Stand Still
  • Nice job by #MoteeShoe
« Reply #422 on: September 04, 2017, 01:15:48 PM »
Pretty quick and quality cover by our friends AchtungBabies You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #423 on: September 09, 2017, 09:28:50 PM »
Umm, why do so many people seem to be bagging Bono for using the Zac, Jack, Fred etc? I think it is actually a pretty cool addition. It's just a different kind of punctuation to the sentence. Gives it a bit of personality. Even the @u2 podcast was laughing at it. Why?

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #424 on: September 09, 2017, 11:52:38 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Umm, why do so many people seem to be bagging Bono for using the Zac, Jack, Fred etc? I think it is actually a pretty cool addition. It's just a different kind of punctuation to the sentence. Gives it a bit of personality. Even the @u2 podcast was laughing at it. Why?

People don't like those additions because they offer no lyrical relevancy and come across as dumb and unsophisticated (which is especially frustrating since they come from a lyricist as talented as Bono).

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #425 on: September 10, 2017, 12:45:00 AM »

People don't like those additions because they offer no lyrical relevancy and come across as dumb and unsophisticated (which is especially frustrating since they come from a lyricist as talented as Bono).

Fair enough I can see that. I don't have a problem with it.

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #426 on: September 10, 2017, 01:05:47 AM »

Fair enough I can see that. I don't have a problem with it.
I agree what Wookie says. But I think I know Bono did it. Most songs of experience are letters. It's written to Zach, Jack, Fred, Ned - I assume those names are mainly used I the USA. So it's letter the America people.

I think it was better to use longer names and/or names which not rhyme

Earthquakes always happen when you're in bed, Elisabeth.
The house shakes, maybe it's something I said, Tom.

(Maybe a nice thing for a new thread, you can use the idea ;))

The melody currently goes up at the names and that is nice. With names which not rhyme, that maybe would not work.

Offline inztantkarma

• Babyface
« Reply #427 on: September 10, 2017, 07:14:17 AM »
Hey, anyone else notice in some parts of the video Larry is wearing a white t-shirt (e.g. 2:15 mins)? Most shots he is wearing a black t-shirt.

The same thing happens in Die Hard, you know
#weirdness

You could so imagine Larry delivering a very deadpan "Yippie-Ki-Yay MotherF@#er!" line...
Drum Hard
Drum Hard II
Larry Mullen Will A Vengeance
Live Stream it or Drum Hard
A Good Day to Drum Hard

Offline Bundang Dave

• Running to Stand Still
  • It's not what I want; it's what I need.
« Reply #428 on: September 10, 2017, 09:04:55 AM »
I agree what Wookie says. But I think I know Bono did it. Most songs of experience are letters. It's written to Zach, Jack, Fred, Ned - I assume those names are mainly used I the USA. So it's letter the America people.

The melody currently goes up at the names and that is nice. With names which not rhyme, that maybe would not work.

Interesting idea, but I don't think those names are particularly American.

My impression was that Bono added the rhyming names to give the song a bit a sassy attitude (which he might consider to be punk), and I thought it comes from some London convention, Cockney maybe?

Admittedly, I'm not very learned about different dialects in England, so I may be way off, but that was my impression.

Offline MPare1966

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Trying to throw my arms around the world.
« Reply #429 on: September 14, 2017, 07:21:35 AM »
The Blackout on top of the charts!

Of course, I'm being a little sarcastic here.  ;)

Offline Jono

• Running to Stand Still
  • Nice job by #MoteeShoe
« Reply #430 on: September 14, 2017, 07:58:03 AM »

My impression was that Bono added the rhyming names to give the song a bit a sassy attitude (which he might consider to be punk), and I thought it comes from some London convention, Cockney maybe?

Admittedly, I'm not very learned about different dialects in England, so I may be way off, but that was my impression.
I think it is just...nothing really, and Adam's smile to Bono when he says Ned leads me to think that perhaps it's a bit of an inside joke?

Offline Messenger

• Running to Stand Still
  • The universe is beautiful but cold.
« Reply #431 on: September 14, 2017, 08:54:28 AM »

I think it is just...nothing really, and Adam's smile to Bono when he says Ned leads me to think that perhaps it's a bit of an inside joke?

Well, it is a live version. I'd go better than 50/50 odds that the names aren't on the album version. But I don't have a problem with them either way.