Author Topic: long time reader, finally prompted to register  (Read 216 times)

Offline ssdpro

• Stranger in a Strange Land
long time reader, finally prompted to register
« on: September 05, 2017, 07:43:12 AM »
After reading atu2 for as long as I can remember (seems like 20 years? has it even been around that long?) I decided I wanted to share some thoughts about U2.  Those thoughts I will post in a new topic in the right area.  Figured the first step was introduction. 

I'm 37, born in '80.  I can't recall any dedication or even awareness of U2 in the 80s.  I had some records but it was mainly stuff given to me - I had some Bruce, Who, INXS, Sinatra, and other stuff my parents owned.  Looking back, a strong case for nurture over nature.  Anyway, sometime around '90 I heard a song on the radio.  It struck me - asked my dad who it was and he had no idea. The radio did not say.  I just loved the sound.  I continually listed to that station waiting for the song so I could tape it.  It took months to get that tape.  Months later at a Thanksgiving or Christmas I was listening to my tape and my Uncle said enthusiastically "alright that's my man! got yourself some U2!"  I remember everything about that moment - his enthusiasm and the feeling of validation.  Anyway, that info led me to purchase The Unforgettable Fire, then Joshua Tree, then AB when it came out.  I remember being unable to find Boy and for some reason didn't buy Rattle and Hum or October.  Anyway, I had my first favorite band. 

Prior to my 12th birthday my parents asked if I wanted to go see a rock concert.  They said my Uncle wanted to take me and a couple cousins as a birthday gift.  The concert was ZooTV in Auburn Hills (Detroit) Michigan.  My first real concert at age 11.  Blew my mind.  Since then I have seen just 6 shows - one per tour (Popmart Chicago, Elevation Auburn Hills, Vertigo Auburn Hills, 360 East Lansing, I&E Montreal, JT2017 Detroit). The last concert prompted me to feel the need to share some thoughts - which I will share soon.   

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
Re: long time reader, finally prompted to register
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 07:54:05 AM »
Welcome!

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 09:03:58 AM »
Nice story. Wished I was at a ZooTV show. I'm curious about your thoughts.

I'm also wondering which song you was taping

Offline ssdpro

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 12:29:10 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm also wondering which song you was taping
Wow, what a fail in my first post.  Pride. 

Offline Kmama07

• Running to Stand Still
  • She is everywhere and no place
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 01:00:22 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
After reading atu2 for as long as I can remember (seems like 20 years? has it even been around that long?) I decided I wanted to share some thoughts about U2.  Those thoughts I will post in a new topic in the right area.  Figured the first step was introduction. 

I'm 37, born in '80.  I can't recall any dedication or even awareness of U2 in the 80s.  I had some records but it was mainly stuff given to me - I had some Bruce, Who, INXS, Sinatra, and other stuff my parents owned.  Looking back, a strong case for nurture over nature.  Anyway, sometime around '90 I heard a song on the radio.  It struck me - asked my dad who it was and he had no idea. The radio did not say.  I just loved the sound.  I continually listed to that station waiting for the song so I could tape it.  It took months to get that tape.  Months later at a Thanksgiving or Christmas I was listening to my tape and my Uncle said enthusiastically "alright that's my man! got yourself some U2!"  I remember everything about that moment - his enthusiasm and the feeling of validation.  Anyway, that info led me to purchase The Unforgettable Fire, then Joshua Tree, then AB when it came out.  I remember being unable to find Boy and for some reason didn't buy Rattle and Hum or October.  Anyway, I had my first favorite band. 

Prior to my 12th birthday my parents asked if I wanted to go see a rock concert.  They said my Uncle wanted to take me and a couple cousins as a birthday gift.  The concert was ZooTV in Auburn Hills (Detroit) Michigan.  My first real concert at age 11.  Blew my mind.  Since then I have seen just 6 shows - one per tour (Popmart Chicago, Elevation Auburn Hills, Vertigo Auburn Hills, 360 East Lansing, I&E Montreal, JT2017 Detroit). The last concert prompted me to feel the need to share some thoughts - which I will share soon.
Welcome!
Other than Montreal, I, too ,attended those same shows. I am much older than you and always find it exciting to see younger fans on the forum as well as attending shows!

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 07:00:53 PM »
I was at all of those Detroit shows too, along with KMama!  Welcome to the forum!