Author Topic: Best Thing - first play  (Read 15274 times)

Offline mikepd

• Stateless
Best Thing - first play
« on: September 06, 2017, 06:00:55 AM »
ON RTE 2 just now - so so for me but not a surprise as similar to the DJ remix   Dave Fanning said he preferred Blackout - me too by a mile

Offline BalconyTV

• Numb
Re: Best Thing - first play
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 06:02:26 AM »
Overall its harmless. I am not a hater of the Kygo remix, and may have preferred that to the official version.

Prefer the Blackout.

Will need to listen again.

Offline Albono

• Child of Grace
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 06:06:17 AM »
Okay, but not great... not as strong as Blackout.  :-\
Need to listen a bit more to see if this one grows.

It's on Spotify now.

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
  • I know I'm not a hopeless case.
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 06:07:19 AM »
Had no idea what time it was due and by some luck just caught it. Sounded fresh and punchy if not experimental. I think it's better and not as formulaic as The Miracle.

Offline Steve440

• Babyface
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 06:21:44 AM »
Underwhelmed to be honest. I also prefer The Blackout

Offline acrobat62

• Elevated
  • I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 06:28:28 AM »
First listen, part Invisible, part OL part SFS, part something else I can't quite pin point.  I like The Blackout better but this is harmless and may grow on me as most of their tunes do over time and multiple listen and not on crappy iPhone earbuds.

Oh, maybe it's the production seems a bit less slick without the need to fill every little silence or break with a bunch of noise.  This is a good thing IMO.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 06:30:38 AM by acrobat62 »

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 06:38:52 AM »
It's like The Sweetest Thing went to Ibiza, fell in love with an Irish girl from New York City, got cast in a teenage rom-com, then went crazy tonight.

The song's structure throws me a bit. I prefer the Kygo mix structure-wise, but I like the guitar to pop change... it's like U2 are hedging their bets how to play it live, one night rock, the next club? But structurally, it's like there's a big chunk missing from the album version. Blackout feels the same, to be honest, needs a good ass-kicking guitar solo.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 06:42:12 AM by The Edges Cat »

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 06:42:02 AM »
I hate to be dismissive, but this doesn't do much for me. Meh.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline drjako

• Stateless
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 06:53:08 AM »
Meh. Bland. Feel like I'm expecting too much, but that's my reaction.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 06:57:19 AM »
It's starting to grow on me with the first few listens, but it feels like it's missing something. The beginning of the chorus with just the hi-hat and tambourine sounds awkward to me, like the song hasn't escaped the demo stages.

The second half of the song sounds pretty good, chorus and all.

Offline achtungx

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Lillywhite Called Me a Naughty British Slang Word
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2017, 06:58:39 AM »
Hmm... it's just kinda there at first... infectious though... becomes damn ear candy.

The start of the song makes me think of the start to Matthew Sweet - Girlfriend. :)

Yelping Bono is back in full glory. Though I do like the falsetto part at the 3 minute mark.

I'm giving it a couple listens through, and it does stay with you, for better or for worse.

U2 haven't had many of those recently, probably since Vertigo.

Hopefully this and Little Things will be the poppiest things on the new album.

Offline dontwantwhatideserve

• Stateless
  • moaning periodically...
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2017, 07:00:04 AM »
First of all, I'm a fan since the days of WIRE-L, waiting for Zooropa to drop. Not so much credentials, as someone who misses the excitement and surprise of thatof that era.

First time, the "walking away" part was jarring, and it sounded like he was eating the mic. The bridge felt "stolen back" from Coldplay.

Second listen, and it all fit and sounded fine. It is a looser and less "cloned" sound than The Miracle. It has radio polish, but the arrangement is more relaxed, the lyrics are pretty great, have a progression, focused but successfully personal/universal. The lyric video is nice, since they are worth appreciating. They deserve to be proud of this. It will get stronger with more listens, and is not the desperate pop-grab I feared. It doesn't feel like an Apple launch theme, for once...but I can hear the chorus at sporting events, already. Good for them, as it's both big and personal--u2.

Offline lorence_of_arabia

• Babyface
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2017, 07:01:57 AM »
Pretty good. Had this been released between 2000-2009, I think it would have been a big hit. In 2017 - I don't know.

Offline BONO31

• Wanderer
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2017, 07:03:44 AM »
So Exciting by this uplifting song!!! I wasn't waiting much from a song 1 year old, but this version is so funky!!!
Adam Clayton shines on "The Best Thing" et "The Blackout", he's so groovy on both songs.

I also heard another version of "The Best Thing" on OUI FM in France. But I prefer the official version.

Offline gujuju

• Babyface
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2017, 07:04:51 AM »
I like it.  It's light, easy, and infectious.  Its a pop song that the non-hardcore fans will enjoy quickly.   The chorus gets stuck in your head effortlessly.   Get ready to hear this at weddings this year.

I'm glad U2 recognized that as a pop song and gave us (the hardcore fans) Blackout last week to keep us all excited.