Author Topic: Best Thing - first play  (Read 15228 times)

Offline Conor74

• Wanderer
Re: Best Thing - first play
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2017, 07:10:07 AM »
I think it's cute and it makes me think of my four year old son.

:)

Offline vertical42

• Babyface
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2017, 07:16:52 AM »
First listen thoughts - not bad but not memorable.

It seems like a song that musically wanders from being somewhat of a rock tune in the verse to trying to be a modern day pop song in the chorus.  Overall, seems like this would be a song you'd expect to hear in the background at a dinner at TGI Fridays - like it's to trying hard to be everything to everyone and because of that, it's a bit milquetoast.

Offline mossy

• Babyface
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2017, 07:22:04 AM »
I know this term gets thrown around a lot but I figure it's classic ""Paint by Numbers" stuff. I like it, but my guess is that history will not be kind.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Offline Magnificent

• Wanderer
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2017, 07:25:02 AM »
Throwaway pop and I hate the fact I'm typing that about a band I adore. I really hope I'm wrong and it's a grower.

Offline irvspad

• Babyface
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2017, 07:34:04 AM »
Wow, looking at the Facebook post of TBTAM, its getting a lot of hate. Personally I don't think its a bad song, its fun, and catchy but no classic. Maybe this is the end for U2? Their days of creative, classic songs like on JT and/or experimentation of AB, Zoo, Pop or great songs ATYCLB, HTDAB delivered...those days maybe gone.  In the meantime, this isn't a terrible song.  Makes me think of my wife, and my daughters.

Offline MadRob360

• Refugee
  • Jealousy Is A Disease
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2017, 07:34:40 AM »
i think it's a great tune. Wasn't expecting it to be met with much on here though, victims of their own success, instead of enjoying the ride thats into its 5th decade, fans are pretty critical. Tough crowd.

Offline tom_b1807

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2017, 07:39:22 AM »
Admittedly I think the song is very catchy, I think it feels caught between minds about being a pop or rock song and I think I'd say it almost suits the Kygo version. I expect it will be panned here by the majority but if the last few albums are to go by then I doubt it will be, sorry - the best thing - about SOE. I'm glad we got the Blackout last week otherwise I think this forum might have gone into meltdown.

Offline achtungbhoy

• Babyface
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2017, 07:40:11 AM »
I like it and prefer it to The Blackout, which I think it is (in the form we know it anyway) a bit clunky and one dimensional but there's more happening here in terms of production, lyrics, melody, etc.

Hardly a classic but sounds like a good album track along the lines of a Yahweh, I Know I'll Go Crazy...or Original of the Species.

Offline Stateless

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2017, 07:43:07 AM »
I like it.  Musically it is a diverse and Adam really shines and drums are a bit more prominent than in many last U2 singles.   Edge sounds good and Bono's voice still has it.  I have had 3 listens and I enjoy it a more and more.  I think it ends a little too soon, like there will be a longer version.   The combination of Blackout and this new song, I am pretty excited.  Been a while since we had a 1-2 punch of good songs released by the boys in a short time frame. 

I also think it was great that The Blackout was released in the way they did and then followed up by Best Thing.  It give fans a mix of new stuff which is refreshing and something typically U2 has not done. 

Offline lucas.homem

• Numb
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2017, 07:44:27 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Wow, looking at the Facebook post of TBTAM, its getting a lot of hate.

I think the only reason U2 showed us The Blackout (without really promoting it) is because they was certain that the fans would freak out with You're The Best Thing.

Everything is going as planned for them (regarding U2 fans), with the exception that it won't be a hit in the radio too (yeah).
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 07:46:25 AM by lucas.homem »

Offline TheEnd

• Refugee
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2017, 07:47:06 AM »
The Sci-Fi mix is slightly less offensive to my ears.

Offline OnlyU2

• Holy Joe
  • Who's to say what it is will break you
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2017, 07:47:26 AM »
I've listened to it twice so far, but I don't want to force myself to like the song.
I don't hate it, but I won't be hitting the replay button.
The Blackout, however, caught my attention on first listen and I will continue to hit the replay button.

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2017, 07:49:53 AM »
I knew from the very beginning of this song that I wasn't going to dig it.

It's so middle of the road. So forgettable. Sure it's fresh and has some nice U2 sounds but I've heard it 3 times now and I honestly can't see myself ever being excited for this song. And it's the first single! What the heck is wrong with this band and singles? It also sounds very overproduced and disjointed. I hear 3 different songs. The chorus doesn't even feel right. Eeehhhh....

2/5

Offline Rasmus

• Refugee
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2017, 07:52:44 AM »
Ugh... not a good song in my opinion. Not gonna spend too much time complaining about it but this song is just not for me and thats that.

Offline Albono

• Child of Grace
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2017, 07:53:52 AM »
Okay, now I'm starting to like this.
Quite catchy, and Adam... yes, Adam!  8)