Author Topic: All U2 Albums Ranked  (Read 1252 times)

Offline Quester11

• Stateless
Re: All U2 Albums Ranked
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2017, 10:20:49 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
14. All That You Can't Leave Behind
13. Songs Of Innocence
12. Rattle and Hum
11. Original Soundtracks 1
10. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
9. No Line on the Horizon
8. October
7. Zooropa
6. Boy
5. The Joshua Tree
4. Pop
3. The Unforgettable Fire
2. Achtung Baby
1. War

That is such an unpopular ranking... interesting if you're being completely serious.

How so? Other than War being my favourite, I don't see much that's really out there.

Offline mdewater

• Stateless
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2017, 07:09:17 AM »
1. The Joshua Tree - A cliche favorite, but for a reason.
2. Achtung Baby - Front to back their best album for sure. JT only just nudges it out as my personal favorite.
3. All That You Can't Leave Behind - Very underrated. Side 1 especially is as good as anything they've ever done.
4. War - When the worst songs on the album are some of the best the band has ever done, you know it's a classic.
5. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb - Deal with it. It introduced me to the band and it gets an unbelievably bad wrap around here.
6. The Unforgettable Fire - It's a shame the purely ambient vibe didn't last longer with the band.
7. No Line On The Horizon - Wanted to be a masterpiece, and honestly I think came close. Then Boots happened.
8. Zooropa - Any album with Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car automatically gets bumped down a few spots.
9. Rattle and Hum - I usually listen to my own playlist "studio version" of this and like it a whole lot more than the official album.
10. Songs of Innocence - Still hard to place. Will likely change depending on what SOE and the following (?) album are like.
11. Boy - This probably deserves to higher, but I just don't find myself coming back to it all that often.
12. Pop - Sorry Pop fans. I just can't listen to this one all the way through without hating those awful songs towards the end.
13. October - Meh. Just so utterly forgettable, no matter how many tries I give it.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 07:10:51 AM by mdewater »

Offline Clarky

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2017, 07:40:24 AM »
14. All That You Can't Leave Behind
13. Songs Of Innocence
12. Rattle and Hum
11. Original Soundtracks 1
10. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
8. October
7. Zooropa
6. Boy
5. The Joshua Tree
4. Pop
3. The Unforgettable Fire
2. Achtung Baby
1. War

That is such an unpopular ranking... interesting if you're being completely serious.

How so? Other than War being my favourite, I don't see much that's really out there.

It just clicked that you had your list upside down. lmao.

Offline Sonofabono

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2017, 06:32:34 PM »
This is hard. Top 5 are probably my actual top 5 albums. #6-11 are all kinda tied. 12 and 13 I just tend to forget about.

1. How to Dismantle --- first album that came out after I became a fan so got nostalgia factor going for it, plus COBL
2. War --- soooooooo good
3. Joshua Tree --- of course
4. Rattle and Hum --- first album that I really sunk into after I became a fan of some of U2's hits, so again nostalgia factor but also it's really good
5. Zooropa --- I love the sound of this record. From start to finish, might be their most cohesive.
6. Songs of Innocence --- partly cause I've listened to it so much recently
7. Achtung Baby --- I think the songs are more alive in the live versions; songs are good but not my favorite sounding record
8. Boy --- I forget how good this one is
9. Pop --- I actually kinda like Pop
10. No Line on the Horizon --- I go through phases with this one. Mostly I just forget about it.
11. All That You Can't Leave Behind --- frontloaded.
12. The Unforgettable Fire --- Maybe the most forgettable album. *rimshot*
13. October --- Great sound with (mostly) bad lyrics.

Offline an cat dubh

« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2017, 12:20:49 AM »
1-3. Achtung Baby/Joshua Tree/Unforgettable Fire

Really, depending on the day, any of those three albums can be my favorite.  Flip a coin.  Then flip it again.  Often UF can be my favorite.  I love the 80s aesthetics of UF and the obvious and immediate Eno influences.  A good pair of headphones and Promenade is an audio experience I cherish every time.  It's transcendent to me.  And Bad may be my favorite track ever.  Bad is everything I love about U2 wrapped up in a seven minute barrage of earnestly impassioned vocals, relentless rhythm and The Edge's hynotic chime. 

Not much can be said about AB and JT that hasn't been said already.  In my book, AB is the more complete experience conceptually - but only by a small margin.   

4. War

The cohesive tone of the album and the impact of Sunday Bloody Sunday and New Year's Day on the band's trajectory and musical relevance can't be argued.  Strong songs throughout, including gems like Drowning Man, Two Hearts Beat as One and Seconds.  "40" took on a life of its own live.

5. Zooropa

Quirkier than any other release, Stay (Faraway, So Close) and Lemon are two of the band's finest tracks.  Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car and The First Time will always be sentimental favorites of mine.

6. Pop

What was the saying?  Achtung Baby was the sound of the Joshua Tree being chopped down, and Pop was the sound of Achtung Baby being given an Ambien?  No?  Ok.  I was sixteen when Pop was released, and it was the first album released while I was a full-on U2 fan.  Gone, Staring at the Sun, Last Night on Earth, Please (Single Edit...I think) and even Discotheque will always find their way to any "Best of U2" Spotify mixes I make.  I'll never not love those songs.  Per capita, this has a lot of songs that belong in the Band's Pantheon.  I just decided I should have put it above Zooropa. 

7. All That You Can't Leave Behind

Starting the trend of overproduction that would haunt the remainder of the band's albums released in the new century and take away the passion and edge (pun not intended) of prior performances .  Also the continuation of Bono beginning to get a little too cheeky and smirky with his songwriting (which probably truly started on Pop).  A mole...digging in a hole...hot as a handbag...and a can of mace...

The replayability of this album has taken a dramatic downturn for me. 

8. Songs of Innocence

We're entering the "meh" zone here.  I hate that because it contains tracks and albums that didn't use to be "meh" for me.  Also, 20 years ago, it was sacrilege to think anything about U2 could be considered meh. 

Every Breaking Wave and Raised by Wolves have hints of the classic band elements.  Iris (Hold Me Close) and Sleep Like a Baby Tonight are favorites of mine though I'm not many will agree with the latter.  Otherwise the album feels way too glossy especially if this was the nod to the younger iteration of the band that they claimed it was.

9. Boy

It's got chops.  And I've written too much already. 

10. October

I like it but don't expect others to.  There's a beautiful melancholy to October, Scarlet and Tomorrow and I love Fire for some reason.  When I took a trip to Ireland back in the early 2000s I made a photo slide show of my trip, 2 of the 3 songs on the soundtrack were October and Scarlet.  It fit perfectly. 

11.  How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

At times Vertigo and City of Blinding Lights are passable.  If you squint.  Otherwise a mess of U2 doing a very poor U2 impression.

12.  Rattle and Hum

Probably should be higher but now I'm tired and don't care.  Give me All I Want is You all day every day.  If Bad is my favorite all-time U2 song, All I Want is You is a very close second.  No other U2 song is as heartfelt. 

Also give me Hawkmoon 269 while you're at it.

13.  No Line on the Horizon   

Yuck.  I think there's a version of the title track I like, I just can't remember which edit it is.  And thus the tinkering is part of U2's problem of the 2000s. 

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2017, 12:31:50 AM »
Passengers = side proyect (U2 + Brian Eno)

Additional personnel: Pavarotti, Howie B., Craig Armstrong, Holi, Paul Barret, David Herbert, Des Broadbery and Holger Zschenderlein.
I think you're too new on here to know this is a long on-going debate and I've always been vocal about passengers not being a u2 album. The other debate is that NLOTH is Passengers' second album. I agree, Passengers isnt u2

Offline Droppo

• Babyface
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2017, 08:15:14 AM »
1. Achtung Baby
2. The Joshua Tree
3. War
4. Zooropa
5. The Unforgettable Fire
6. All That You Can't Leave Behind
7. Boy
8. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
9. Rattle and Hum
10. Pop
11. October
12. Songs of Innocence
13. No Line on the Horizon

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • A-B-C, easy as 1-2-3
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2017, 09:17:13 AM »
Top level:

Zooropa
Pop
No Line On The Horizon

these seem to be pretty much set.

2nd level:

Songs Of Innocence
The Unforgettable Fire

These 2 are constantly fighting for position. 6 months ago, TUF would've been on top.

3rd level:

October
Original Soundtracks 1
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
All That You Can't Leave Behind
Boy
The Joshua Tree
Achtung Baby

Not much difference in quality between any of these; I've listed them in order of frequency of my listening to them.

Bottom level:

Rattle and Hum
War

I'm beginning to warm up to R&H lately - a year from now, it could be in the next level up. War, however, has aged terribly.   :(

Boom Cha!

« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2017, 01:22:11 AM »
Pop
Achtung Baby
Zooropa
The Unforgettable Fire
The Joshua Tree
Songs Of Innocence
All That You Can't Leave Behind
Boy
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
No Line On The Horizon
War
Rattle & Hum
October

Offline TheOriginal

« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2017, 08:49:33 PM »
1. Achtung Baby
U2 at their best in terms of songwriting and album consistency - not one mediocre song on the record.
2. The Joshua Tree
A masterpiece in creative vision and atmosphere. Alllll the hits.
3. All That You Can't Leave Behind
Both the easiest to listen to at times and the hardest-hitting at other. U2 embracing who they are and doing what they do best (nothing wrong with that!)
4. Zooropa
The coolest U2 record - a record that just sounds weird and one where U2 sounds like they didn't overthink it.
5. Pop
Dark, innovative: classic u2 songs infused with electronica that are bold and heavy.
6. Songs of Innocence
The most cohesive U2 album - no standout singles, but great lyrics and great narrative beginning to end.
7. The Unforgettable Fire
The hint of things to come - a dreamy, timeless record
8. War
Brash and energy-filled
A half-baked effort to be experimental - ends up feeling fuzzy and unfocused with moments of inspiration (M0S and Fez) and weirdly incoherent throughout (GOYB, Crazy, SUC)
10.How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
Some amazing songs (Miracle Drug, COBL, OOTS) but the most generic and uninspired effort.
11. Rattle and Hum
Great songs, but U2 at their most annoying and pretentious.
12.Boy
Some bright spots (Out of Control, IWF), but songs aren't really there
13.October
Borrring (except for Gloria)