Author Topic: All U2 Albums Ranked  (Read 4611 times)

Offline Sonofabono

• Babyface
Re: All U2 Albums Ranked
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2017, 08:38:39 PM »
Here's where I'm at right now.

1-6 in some order. Achtung Baby!, Joshua Tree, R+H, War, HTDAAB, Songs of Experience

These are records I can listen to at any time and in any mood. SOE's inclusion is completely merited in my book. First album without clunkers (IMO) since Zooropa. Every song fits. HTDAAB and R+H were the first two records I really got into as a new U2 fan, so that's why they're included, so that's my explanation for that.

7-11 in some order. Zooropa, TUF, Boy, ATYCLB, Pop

These records, though good, are ones that I really have to be in a mood for. Every day is a WOWY day. There are only a few days that are Mofo days. But these records are ones that I've come back to in different seasons, not necessarily ones I've pulled out for fun all the time. If I can get into TUF, I'm there for several weeks. Pop and the others are the same.

12-14 in some order. NLOTH and October and SOI

Disclaimer: The worst U2 records are still really really good. They're still at the top of my rotation. Disclaimer over. SOE (IMO) has made the last two records sound really sub-par. Their inclusion at the bottom of my list might change once SOE's new sheen has worn off. SOI did the same thing to NLOTH. SOI was more cohesive than NLOTH. SOE is more cohesive than the both of them. October is so obviously unfinished. Gloria and Rejoice are balling. The rest? Really takes a lot of grace.

Offline TongueInMyEar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Love it won't be long....
« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2017, 03:55:59 AM »
Of course this is after less than a week of having SOE and really loving it, so maybe it will slip. Could interchange that/TUF/Pop at the moment. But I know that after hearing SOI for the first few times it wasn't anywhere near the top.

1. Achtung Baby
2. Joshua Tree
3. Boy
4. All That You Can't Leave Behind
5. Songs of Experience
6. The Unforgettable Fire
7. Pop
8. Zooropa
9. October
10. War
11. Songs of Innocence
12. No Line on the Horizon
13. Rattle and Hum
14. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

Offline TongueInMyEar

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2018, 06:18:21 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Of course this is after less than a week of having SOE and really loving it, so maybe it will slip. Could interchange that/TUF/Pop at the moment. But I know that after hearing SOI for the first few times it wasn't anywhere near the top.

1. Achtung Baby
2. Joshua Tree
3. Boy
5. Songs of Experience
7. Pop
8. Zooropa
9. October
10. War
11. Songs of Innocence
13. Rattle and Hum

I was interested to see this as I thought HTDAAB was bottom for me. I've been listening to it the last few days and actually I really enjoy it, but it would probably still be at the bottom as to me it's a collection of singles rather than a great album.

Still, says it all when my least favourite album by a band is still very good.

rockatansky

« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2018, 07:01:19 AM »

1. Achtung Baby
2. Joshua Tree
3. Boy
5. Songs of Experience
7. Pop
8. Zooropa
9. October
10. War
11. Songs of Innocence
13. Rattle and Hum

I like your list, it's very similar to mine.  I was wondering though about Songs Of Experience at #5.  The album hasn't done much for me, though I'm still open to it.  Can you share some of your feelings about SOE?  I'd be interested in hearing them, especially coming from someone who seems to have similar rankings as me to U2's work.  Thanks! 

Offline TongueInMyEar

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2018, 09:55:42 AM »

1. Achtung Baby
2. Joshua Tree
3. Boy
5. Songs of Experience
7. Pop
8. Zooropa
9. October
10. War
11. Songs of Innocence
13. Rattle and Hum

I like your list, it's very similar to mine.  I was wondering though about Songs Of Experience at #5.  The album hasn't done much for me, though I'm still open to it.  Can you share some of your feelings about SOE?  I'd be interested in hearing them, especially coming from someone who seems to have similar rankings as me to U2's work.  Thanks!

No problem, as I say once I get to around 5th spot I could interchange SOE, TUF, Pop and maybe Zooropa depending on my mood, but I definitely feel SOE is in my top half of U2 albums.

For me the song writing on SOE is very strong, probably best since ATYCLB, and it also has a proper album feel to it, more so than say HTDAAB or SOI. How to pinpoint why I'm not sure, maybe something to do with production, maybe to do with the themes of the lyrics.

The order of the songs works really well, the album seems to have a momentum building through it until Little Things That Give You Away, which is this big emotional release. Landlady is a necessary breather after that but a brilliant song also, the coda (every wave that broke me, every song that wrote me.....) really got me first time I heard it. And then it all picks up again for Blackout and Love Is Bigger, before the hauntingly beautiful 13.

I'm still finding it a really interesting album to listen to, which I can't say for SOI. There are more songs that seem to stick in my head, only 2 songs I don't really like (American Soul and The Blackout) and even those are listenable and fit the feel of the album.

It's the sign of a great album for me if I hear the first few bars of the first track and get excited to hear it all again, Love Is All We Have Left definitely fits that bill here.

Overall it's an emotional listen for me, songs about mortality, about your partner, about your kids, about the state of the world. I know most U2 albums touch on a lot of these things, but it feels like some of the most honest songs they've written.

rockatansky

« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2018, 10:21:14 AM »

1. Achtung Baby
2. Joshua Tree
3. Boy
5. Songs of Experience
7. Pop
8. Zooropa
9. October
10. War
11. Songs of Innocence
13. Rattle and Hum

No problem, as I say once I get to around 5th spot I could interchange SOE, TUF, Pop and maybe Zooropa depending on my mood, but I definitely feel SOE is in my top half of U2 albums.

For me the song writing on SOE is very strong, probably best since ATYCLB, and it also has a proper album feel to it, more so than say HTDAAB or SOI. How to pinpoint why I'm not sure, maybe something to do with production, maybe to do with the themes of the lyrics.

The order of the songs works really well, the album seems to have a momentum building through it until Little Things That Give You Away, which is this big emotional release. Landlady is a necessary breather after that but a brilliant song also, the coda (every wave that broke me, every song that wrote me.....) really got me first time I heard it. And then it all picks up again for Blackout and Love Is Bigger, before the hauntingly beautiful 13.

I'm still finding it a really interesting album to listen to, which I can't say for SOI. There are more songs that seem to stick in my head, only 2 songs I don't really like (American Soul and The Blackout) and even those are listenable and fit the feel of the album.

It's the sign of a great album for me if I hear the first few bars of the first track and get excited to hear it all again, Love Is All We Have Left definitely fits that bill here.

Overall it's an emotional listen for me, songs about mortality, about your partner, about your kids, about the state of the world. I know most U2 albums touch on a lot of these things, but it feels like some of the most honest songs they've written.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and in an excellent way!  You've convinced me to give the album another ride.  To be honest, I've only focused on certain tracks not the album as a whole.  It's good to hear about SOE from someone who shares similar likes about U2 albums.  I'll give it a solid listen now.

Offline TongueInMyEar

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2018, 02:27:31 AM »

1. Achtung Baby
2. Joshua Tree
3. Boy
5. Songs of Experience
7. Pop
8. Zooropa
9. October
10. War
11. Songs of Innocence
13. Rattle and Hum

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and in an excellent way!  You've convinced me to give the album another ride.  To be honest, I've only focused on certain tracks not the album as a whole.  It's good to hear about SOE from someone who shares similar likes about U2 albums.  I'll give it a solid listen now.

Enjoy!! (hopefully)  ;D

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2018, 08:49:46 AM »
May as well do another of these, since I’ve listened to all of them again these past few months, front-to-back, for my U2: Retrospective thingie, and the (seems like) end of the current album cycle and tour…  So, as of today, my U2antheon:

The Immortal Tier
1.   Achtung Baby – My favorite album by any band ever.  I can’t see it ever being surpassed.  I absolutely love every single song on this album.  My favorite U2 sound, coupled with my favorite Bono lyrics.
The Masterpiece Tier
2.   The Joshua Tree --  I mean, it’s The Joshua Tree
The Upper Tier (these albums can jostle around a bit, but still near the crème de la crème)
3.   The Unforgettable Fire – I love the mood, the sound, the lyrics. 
4.   Zooropa – I love the mood, the sound, the lyrics, but in much different way than #3.
5.   No Line on the Horizon – I have an irrational love for this album that’s hard to explain.
The Upper Middle Tier (I love these albums and go through periods where they’re the only U2 I listen to)
6.   Boy – As I always say, this is default U2.
7.   Songs of Experience – This album is still revealing itself to me, and I quite like it one year in.
The Lower Middle Tier (all incredible albums, brought down by a song or two)
8.   All That You Can’t Leave Behind – Lots of good songs.  Would be higher had they had a more drastic departure after.
9.   Pop – I love when U2 do this stuff.  To my eye, it hasn’t aged quite as well as other U2 albums.
10.   War – Groundbreaking album, but contains two of my least favorite U2 songs.
The Lowest Tier (but there isn’t a U2 album I truly dislike)
11.   Rattle and Hum – It's been climbing up my list.  I’ve maybe only started to appreciate this album for what it is these past couple of years.
12.    Songs of Innocence – I’m hoping that someday I get drawn into this album.  It hasn’t happened yet.
13.   How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb – Some good songs, and some songs I perpetually skip.
14.   October – My least favorite, but still good. 

Offline Travis Henderson

• Babyface
  • What am I to do? What in the world am I to say?
« Reply #68 on: November 16, 2018, 08:51:57 AM »
Thanks Vox, this is the original albums ranked thread I was referring to in my other post.  Glad you bumped it!  Love that you have Zooropa on the upper tier.  One of my favorite U2 albums too.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 08:54:09 AM by Travis Henderson »

Offline TongueInMyEar

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #69 on: November 16, 2018, 08:58:34 AM »
Since I've just finished my chronological listen, a few have jumped places (War and Zooropa gone up in my estimation):

The classics:
1. Achtung Baby
2. Joshua Tree

The almost classics:
3. Boy
5. Songs of Experience
6. Zooropa
7. Pop
8. The Unforgettable Fire
9. War

The flawed but still enjoyable
10. October
11. No Line on the Horizon
12. Songs of Innocence
13. Rattle and Hum

Offline Travis Henderson

• Babyface
  • What am I to do? What in the world am I to say?
« Reply #70 on: November 16, 2018, 09:08:55 AM »
My most recent list:

A+: War, October, Zooropa

A: TJT, AB, TUF, Pop

B: ATYCLB, NLOTH, HTDAAB, Boy

C: SOI, SOE, RAH

Offline Rasmus

• Refugee
« Reply #71 on: November 16, 2018, 10:56:36 AM »
1. Achtung Baby