Author Topic: Kudos to M2 and the People Who Make This Website/Forum Go  (Read 845 times)

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
Re: Kudos to M2 and the People Who Make This Website/Forum Go
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2017, 10:21:12 PM »
Just a few things to follow on what Hawkmoon2e has to say:

An Tha was not banned for a single thing. He was banned for an entire history of things. Unless it’s atrocious or being a real d**k, a single thing won’t get you banned.

This is EVERYONE’S forum, not YOUR forum, or any other individual’s forum. We share this place, which means we must make it useful to all who want to participate. We have no obligation to a single person’s idea of what they want to do here for themselves. If anyone who is a U2 fan wants to constructively engage with other fans, this place should be welcoming to that person.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2017, 12:00:21 AM »
It's my forum.

You're all just visiting.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2017, 12:14:21 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It's my forum.

And we've been waiting for you to pay the hosting bill, misterbriscer. 😭$

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2017, 10:47:08 AM »
It's my forum.

hahaha

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2017, 12:05:17 AM »
It's my forum.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

Offline K2

• Refugee
  • light my way
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2017, 08:57:17 PM »
Good night and good bye - thanks for everything! Thank you Hawk. I'll miss you guys.

Offline radiofreenewport

• Babyface
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2017, 05:50:03 AM »
Thanks for reopening the forums. I'm a longtime lurker who rarely posts, and I missed coming here several times a week to see what fellow fans were thinking. I've moderated forums and listservs before and know what a total pain in the ass it can be. Just wanted you to hear from a stranger and lifelong U2 fan, going back to the early 80s, that I appreciate your work. Cheers!

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2017, 08:57:35 AM »
Thanks for reopening the forums. I'm a longtime lurker who rarely posts, and I missed coming here several times a week to see what fellow fans were thinking. I've moderated forums and listservs before and know what a total pain in the ass it can be. Just wanted you to hear from a stranger and lifelong U2 fan, going back to the early 80s, that I appreciate your work. Cheers!

Thanks for the note  - we are glad to be back too! Much appreciated

Offline HolyHandGrenade

• Stateless
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2017, 04:58:14 PM »
Personally I think this saga has been a slap in the face to the thousands among the silent majority that wanted to come to @U2 during one of the most important months of recent years for fans and the band. The worst possible timing. And while I am a huge proponent of deferential phrasing and subjectivity in music discussion, antagonistic posts really should have no impact on your personal opinions. They still may make you feel bad for having those opinions, but that's what (temporary) bans are for. I have never experienced a forum shutdown like this before, because there are other rational avenues (1) thick skin (2) bans (3) a shutdown shorter than a MONTH that still gets the message across, etc...

Listen, mods serve the community - the forum is the platform. When the forum is populated by the very active minority (making them more of a majority), sure, address them more directly. But when the silent majority counts on the platform during critical months/weeks to connect to the community, leave the town gates open. Zootopia is vastly inferior, by the way.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 04:59:46 PM by HolyHandGrenade »

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2017, 08:47:49 PM »
Listen, mods serve the community - the forum is the platform. When the forum is populated by the very active minority (making them more of a majority), sure, address them more directly. But when the silent majority counts on the platform during critical months/weeks to connect to the community, leave the town gates open. Zootopia is vastly inferior, by the way.

So we're supposed to serve a "silent majority" who don't participate in conversations and who don't contribute to the forums? The forums are just supposed to exist for you to dip silently in to and out of? I have no problems with people who want to just come and check things out; that is absolutely a function of the forums. But don't become vocal when it disappears if you were silent while it was here. This is not a one-way street, so don't make demands if you don't want to contribute. The forums are a conversation, and that requires both give and take.

Offline HolyHandGrenade

• Stateless
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2017, 02:26:25 AM »

So we're supposed to serve a "silent majority" who don't participate in conversations and who don't contribute to the forums? The forums are just supposed to exist for you to dip silently in to and out of? I have no problems with people who want to just come and check things out; that is absolutely a function of the forums. But don't become vocal when it disappears if you were silent while it was here. This is not a one-way street, so don't make demands if you don't want to contribute. The forums are a conversation, and that requires both give and take.

Forums serve more functions than simply engaging in discussion (which, granted is the means to the others), surely you know that. It's often a more thorough way to disseminate information, a more in depth medium for coverage of events than tweets, etc... I don't know why you're being so dismissive of the experience of many users here. Not all of us are up for small talk in the frenzied periods, much less the lull periods. If you haven't noticed I have over 100 posts, and it's BS to draw a line in the sand in terms of a level of activity deserving one status or another. Even those with thousands of posts I'm sure are not always active - this is especially true when you split time between multiple band forums. Do we have to be in-the-know 24/7, every day of every year trying to stay up to date with the culture and dynamic of the forum to be privileged to the advance knowledge that this avenue will be closed? If you want to use 99% of users, including the active users that were NOT inflammatory, as a punching bag for the 1%, don't victim blame the 99% or the 95% below the top 5% in activity. I think your statement here really discredits the value of your own beloved forum. My intake of U2 discourse has been anemic for the past month, because reddit, @U2 articles, and god-forsaken twitter don't always cut it. This is a vital arm of @U2, not a club.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 02:34:26 AM by HolyHandGrenade »

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2017, 03:45:33 PM »
Well good for you. An Tha, at his new home, is deferential and diffuses situations with
Grace. So I have to ask the question, was it really all on him? In my humble opinion, and I appreciate that it is just one opinion and mine is no better than anyone else’s, the mods here created their own problem. You responded to U2 doing something extremely political by asking it’s fans to refrain from political conversation. This is the band of “f*** the revolution.” This is the band of “Sunday, Bloody Sunday” white flags  and p**** marches. If someone is too offended to hear that stuff, then don’t listen to POP, AB or WAR - they’ll really pi*s you off!

I experienced the heavy-handedness of the mods here with two temp bans for absolutely nothing. Matt once told me that if I don’t have something positive to say, don’t post. Really? So this forum will be sunshine lollipops and rainbows? Not truth?  The mods have a lesson to learn here. Of course, a personal attack is always wrong, but there is a balance to be had that needs to be restored here before I consider returning on a regular basis. To do this right at the launch of a new album was a complete punch on the face to all of us who have loved this forum for many years. Thanks for the memories - I appreciate the history I have had on this forum - but I will not pay the price of silence. Those of you who know me know where you can reach me. Go ahead and ban me, im sure itll make you feel all righteous

Offline bonorules

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2017, 05:20:40 PM »
Well good for you. An Tha, at his new home, is deferential and diffuses situations with
Grace. So I have to ask the question, was it really all on him? In my humble opinion, and I appreciate that it is just one opinion and mine is no better than anyone else’s, the mods here created their own problem. You responded to U2 doing something extremely political by asking it’s fans to refrain from political conversation. This is the band of “f*** the revolution.” This is the band of “Sunday, Bloody Sunday” white flags  and p**** marches. If someone is too offended to hear that stuff, then don’t listen to POP, AB or WAR - they’ll really pi*s you off!

I experienced the heavy-handedness of the mods here with two temp bans for absolutely nothing. Matt once told me that if I don’t have something positive to say, don’t post. Really? So this forum will be sunshine lollipops and rainbows? Not truth?  The mods have a lesson to learn here. Of course, a personal attack is always wrong, but there is a balance to be had that needs to be restored here before I consider returning on a regular basis. To do this right at the launch of a new album was a complete punch on the face to all of us who have loved this forum for many years. Thanks for the memories - I appreciate the history I have had on this forum - but I will not pay the price of silence. Those of you who know me know where you can reach me. Go ahead and ban me, im sure itll make you feel all righteous

The only reason an tha is on his best behavior on the other site is because he is finally getting his way and is the big man in charge. He's surrounded by his cronies who mostly think the same way he does about U2, doesn't have to worry about us pesky positive thinking fans and he is loving it.

Also, do you use the same user name over there as here? If so, it's real rich that you come over here and sort attack the mods after your little speech yesterday on the other site about having respect for here and there.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2017, 05:38:01 PM »

The only reason an tha is on his best behavior on the other site is because he is finally getting his way and is the big man in charge. He's surrounded by his cronies who mostly think the same way he does about U2, doesn't have to worry about us pesky positive thinking fans and he is loving it.

Also, do you use the same user name over there as here? If so, it's real rich that you come over here and sort attack the mods after your little speech yesterday on the other site about having respect for here and there.

Actually, you're incorrect, but thanks for assuming things.  8) An Tha did not start the other site and is not the "big man" in charge. He's also not "surrounded by cronies", either. I own the site, I host the site and I started the other site (to provide a place for people temporarily and perhaps permanently, at the time) and staffed it with several different people who all are in varying degrees of U2 fandom and who all have different political/musical opinions. I wanted the staff to represent as many aspects of the U2 fanbase as possible. I happen to be a huge fan of the band (much bigger than An Tha) and love the new album. Yet I'm totally fine with people coming on there, debating the music as they feel, even if I don't always agree with what they're saying. The name of the game is respect and so long as debate is respectful, we allow it.

We do have respect for this place and its administration because we appreciate how difficult it is to run a site. We did not start the other place out of spite or to let "troublemakers" get their way. We did it because we knew people would miss having a forum to talk on for however long @u2 would be offline for. We are glad to see @u2 back online and do wish the best. Fans will choose where they feel more comfortable at and that's fine. Ultimately it's the fans/forum members who make a forum a community, so we do our best to cater to them, just as I'm sure @u2 does.

I won't speak for codeguy since he's got his right to say how he feels, but I can say that even if his post appears "disrespectful" or "rich" to you, we truly do (as a staff) have the upmost respect for @u2. It's the forum that brought all of us together, after all, and again, we wish the best for @u2.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2017, 05:43:08 PM »
I don’t think I am attacking the mods at all. I have nothing but respect for them - this is a voluntary thing and people deserve respect. I just think the overly restrictive modding has created an atmosphere that lacks free speech and doesn’t treat members as adults. No disrespect intended