Author Topic: Kudos to M2 and the People Who Make This Website/Forum Go  (Read 852 times)

Offline bonorules

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: Kudos to M2 and the People Who Make This Website/Forum Go
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2017, 06:42:47 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I don’t think I am attacking the mods at all. I have nothing but respect for them - this is a voluntary thing and people deserve respect. I just think the overly restrictive modding has created an atmosphere that lacks free speech and doesn’t treat members as adults. No disrespect intended

So insulting them in regards to how they choose to moderate their website is respectful for you? Showing respect would have been not saying anything at all, letting it go and sticking to running your own site. Instead, you came over here and took the opportunity to get one more dig in about how you disagree with the way they run their site.

Offline bonorules

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2017, 07:10:07 PM »
Well good for you. An Tha, at his new home, is deferential and diffuses situations with
Grace. So I have to ask the question, was it really all on him? In my humble opinion, and I appreciate that it is just one opinion and mine is no better than anyone else’s, the mods here created their own problem. You responded to U2 doing something extremely political by asking it’s fans to refrain from political conversation. This is the band of “f*** the revolution.” This is the band of “Sunday, Bloody Sunday” white flags  and p**** marches. If someone is too offended to hear that stuff, then don’t listen to POP, AB or WAR - they’ll really pi*s you off!

I experienced the heavy-handedness of the mods here with two temp bans for absolutely nothing. Matt once told me that if I don’t have something positive to say, don’t post. Really? So this forum will be sunshine lollipops and rainbows? Not truth?  The mods have a lesson to learn here. Of course, a personal attack is always wrong, but there is a balance to be had that needs to be restored here before I consider returning on a regular basis. To do this right at the launch of a new album was a complete punch on the face to all of us who have loved this forum for many years. Thanks for the memories - I appreciate the history I have had on this forum - but I will not pay the price of silence. Those of you who know me know where you can reach me. Go ahead and ban me, im sure itll make you feel all righteous

The only reason an tha is on his best behavior on the other site is because he is finally getting his way and is the big man in charge. He's surrounded by his cronies who mostly think the same way he does about U2, doesn't have to worry about us pesky positive thinking fans and he is loving it.

Also, do you use the same user name over there as here? If so, it's real rich that you come over here and sort attack the mods after your little speech yesterday on the other site about having respect for here and there.

Actually, you're incorrect, but thanks for assuming things.  8) An Tha did not start the other site and is not the "big man" in charge. He's also not "surrounded by cronies", either. I own the site, I host the site and I started the other site (to provide a place for people temporarily and perhaps permanently, at the time) and staffed it with several different people who all are in varying degrees of U2 fandom and who all have different political/musical opinions. I wanted the staff to represent as many aspects of the U2 fanbase as possible. I happen to be a huge fan of the band (much bigger than An Tha) and love the new album. Yet I'm totally fine with people coming on there, debating the music as they feel, even if I don't always agree with what they're saying. The name of the game is respect and so long as debate is respectful, we allow it.

We do have respect for this place and its administration because we appreciate how difficult it is to run a site. We did not start the other place out of spite or to let "troublemakers" get their way. We did it because we knew people would miss having a forum to talk on for however long @u2 would be offline for. We are glad to see @u2 back online and do wish the best. Fans will choose where they feel more comfortable at and that's fine. Ultimately it's the fans/forum members who make a forum a community, so we do our best to cater to them, just as I'm sure @u2 does.

I won't speak for codeguy since he's got his right to say how he feels, but I can say that even if his post appears "disrespectful" or "rich" to you, we truly do (as a staff) have the upmost respect for @u2. It's the forum that brought all of us together, after all, and again, we wish the best for @u2.

I lurk over at your site, so I've read the posts and know what is going on over there. From what has been said when he was banned here, an tha wanted very much to be a mod so he could mold this site to what he wanted it to be and was apparently rather upset when he was denied. You gave him the moderator opportunity he wanted and we'll see how that goes. Hope it all goes well for you, but I still feel that he is only on his best behavior because he is finally getting things his way. I actually feel you have a few members that are like that. Your regular posters are all getting along, because most have similar thoughts about current U2 and there are no buttons to push or people to fight with. Even your former Interference member has toned it down a little, because he doesn't have anyone to fight with.

Again, I hope it goes well for you over there, but it's not really respectful to come over here and get digs in on how this moderator team runs their site. You go do your thing and let them do theirs.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2017, 07:50:13 PM »
Well good for you. An Tha, at his new home, is deferential and diffuses situations with
Grace. So I have to ask the question, was it really all on him? In my humble opinion, and I appreciate that it is just one opinion and mine is no better than anyone else’s, the mods here created their own problem. You responded to U2 doing something extremely political by asking it’s fans to refrain from political conversation. This is the band of “f*** the revolution.” This is the band of “Sunday, Bloody Sunday” white flags  and p**** marches. If someone is too offended to hear that stuff, then don’t listen to POP, AB or WAR - they’ll really pi*s you off!

I experienced the heavy-handedness of the mods here with two temp bans for absolutely nothing. Matt once told me that if I don’t have something positive to say, don’t post. Really? So this forum will be sunshine lollipops and rainbows? Not truth?  The mods have a lesson to learn here. Of course, a personal attack is always wrong, but there is a balance to be had that needs to be restored here before I consider returning on a regular basis. To do this right at the launch of a new album was a complete punch on the face to all of us who have loved this forum for many years. Thanks for the memories - I appreciate the history I have had on this forum - but I will not pay the price of silence. Those of you who know me know where you can reach me. Go ahead and ban me, im sure itll make you feel all righteous

The only reason an tha is on his best behavior on the other site is because he is finally getting his way and is the big man in charge. He's surrounded by his cronies who mostly think the same way he does about U2, doesn't have to worry about us pesky positive thinking fans and he is loving it.

Also, do you use the same user name over there as here? If so, it's real rich that you come over here and sort attack the mods after your little speech yesterday on the other site about having respect for here and there.

Actually, you're incorrect, but thanks for assuming things.  8) An Tha did not start the other site and is not the "big man" in charge. He's also not "surrounded by cronies", either. I own the site, I host the site and I started the other site (to provide a place for people temporarily and perhaps permanently, at the time) and staffed it with several different people who all are in varying degrees of U2 fandom and who all have different political/musical opinions. I wanted the staff to represent as many aspects of the U2 fanbase as possible. I happen to be a huge fan of the band (much bigger than An Tha) and love the new album. Yet I'm totally fine with people coming on there, debating the music as they feel, even if I don't always agree with what they're saying. The name of the game is respect and so long as debate is respectful, we allow it.

We do have respect for this place and its administration because we appreciate how difficult it is to run a site. We did not start the other place out of spite or to let "troublemakers" get their way. We did it because we knew people would miss having a forum to talk on for however long @u2 would be offline for. We are glad to see @u2 back online and do wish the best. Fans will choose where they feel more comfortable at and that's fine. Ultimately it's the fans/forum members who make a forum a community, so we do our best to cater to them, just as I'm sure @u2 does.

I won't speak for codeguy since he's got his right to say how he feels, but I can say that even if his post appears "disrespectful" or "rich" to you, we truly do (as a staff) have the upmost respect for @u2. It's the forum that brought all of us together, after all, and again, we wish the best for @u2.

I lurk over at your site, so I've read the posts and know what is going on over there. From what has been said when he was banned here, an tha wanted very much to be a mod so he could mold this site to what he wanted it to be and was apparently rather upset when he was denied. You gave him the moderator opportunity he wanted and we'll see how that goes. Hope it all goes well for you, but I still feel that he is only on his best behavior because he is finally getting things his way. I actually feel you have a few members that are like that. Your regular posters are all getting along, because most have similar thoughts about current U2 and there are no buttons to push or people to fight with. Even your former Interference member has toned it down a little, because he doesn't have anyone to fight with.

Again, I hope it goes well for you over there, but it's not really respectful to come over here and get digs in on how this moderator team runs their site. You go do your thing and let them do theirs.

I didn't come in here and say a thing until you made your post assuming things you do not have any idea about. You assume that An Tha is the problem and that he dictates things. He isn't and he doesn't. You don't see the behind the scenes happenings (at our forum) and you don't know the full story of why An Tha was banned here. I won't tell that story because it is between An Tha and the administration here, but suffice to say there's more to it than meets the eye.

This idea that An Tha is some sort of authoritarian who only wants to get his way or is only "behaving" because he "gets his way"? It's completely misguided. You are judging someone you don't know based on what you think was the reason for his banning and someone who never once asked to be an admin on our site. He was made an admin because of his musical knowledge and overall even leveledness.

And you know what? He's worked his butt off to be a fair moderator and to understand the needs of the members. We have a policy on our forums to not ban unless it's an absolute last resort and to date, we have yet to ban a single person. We allow respectful debate and you know what else? Even when we disagree with each other, we don't personally attack one another and we've yet to have any issues. Even with heated political debate. Which is proof that when you treat the members with respect, they respond with respect for one another.

I would hope that @u2's break has been productive for the mod team and has given them the breather they clearly needed. I would also hope that for this place's sake, the members are happier with the rules of the place and that everyone gets along without the necessity for bans or people fearing being banned for saying the wrong thing.

If @u2 wants to create a place where the only thing tolerated is positivity concerning the band's music/things in general, then that's their choice and the members will need to adhere to that. We view it differently and instead prefer an open forum where positivity and negativity is allowed so long as there's no personal attacks.

That's all I'll say, no more posts on this thread publicly but feel free to PM me if you'd like to discuss further. Again, speaking for our site as a whole, we wish the best for @u2. I can't control what individual members from our site post on here and wouldn't dream to as that's their right, just as @u2 can't control people who come to our forum and post about @u2 being back online.  :)

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2017, 08:10:56 PM »

I didn't come in here and say a thing until you made your post assuming things you do not have any idea about. You assume that An Tha is the problem and that he dictates things. He isn't and he doesn't. You don't see the behind the scenes happenings (at our forum) and you don't know the full story of why An Tha was banned here. I won't tell that story because it is between An Tha and the administration here, but suffice to say there's more to it than meets the eye.

This idea that An Tha is some sort of authoritarian who only wants to get his way or is only "behaving" because he "gets his way"? It's completely misguided. You are judging someone you don't know based on what you think was the reason for his banning and someone who never once asked to be an admin on our site. He was made an admin because of his musical knowledge and overall even leveledness.

And you know what? He's worked his butt off to be a fair moderator and to understand the needs of the members. We have a policy on our forums to not ban unless it's an absolute last resort and to date, we have yet to ban a single person. We allow respectful debate and you know what else? Even when we disagree with each other, we don't personally attack one another and we've yet to have any issues. Even with heated political debate. Which is proof that when you treat the members with respect, they respond with respect for one another.

I would hope that @u2's break has been productive for the mod team and has given them the breather they clearly needed. I would also hope that for this place's sake, the members are happier with the rules of the place and that everyone gets along without the necessity for bans or people fearing being banned for saying the wrong thing.

If @u2 wants to create a place where the only thing tolerated is positivity concerning the band's music/things in general, then that's their choice and the members will need to adhere to that. We view it differently and instead prefer an open forum where positivity and negativity is allowed so long as there's no personal attacks.

That's all I'll say, no more posts on this thread publicly but feel free to PM me if you'd like to discuss further. Again, speaking for our site as a whole, we wish the best for @u2. I can't control what individual members from our site post on here and wouldn't dream to as that's their right, just as @u2 can't control people who come to our forum and post about @u2 being back online.  :)

Codeguy/Tiger - as I understand it you guys are admin/mods on your own site. Why you felt the need to post about a banned member here is beyond me. The only people keeping that particular conversation going is yourselves. Perhaps that was the intention of Codeguys post - I don’t know and I’m not going to spend time worrying about it. We have moved on and this forum will look to focus on the music and art that is U2. I’m glad you guys have found what you were looking for and wish you all the best in your new venture.