Author Topic: The Edge: "We've got to whip one out for the fans."  (Read 2805 times)

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
Re: The Edge: "We've got to whip one out for the fans."
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2017, 10:26:44 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I thought the same thing.

Nice new profile pic.

Do you get the reference?

Yes, one of my favorite Beck songs! That entire Midnite Vultures album is fantastic.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2017, 11:12:31 AM »

Nice new profile pic.

i do. i think her name's Debra?

Offline cocamojoe

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2017, 11:24:08 AM »
Great article on SoE and U2, with a very nice quote from The Edge. Not everything's for us. ;)

Quote from: The Edge
“We still really believe that we can make a great record... Which is a very different motivation to go in to make an album than thinking, ‘Well, we’ve got to whip one out for the fans.’”

This paradigm that The Edge describes (either making a new Actung Baby, or just whipping out a new album for fucks sake) is what irks me. Can there be no middle-ground? For me, I think of Bob Dylan: he doesn't give even half of one sh** about getting a new Like A Rolling Stone or "appeasing the masses"; he cares about doing what is artistically important to him. Hence his Triplicate album, a 3-disc release of (mostly) Sinatra covers. Is it groundbreaking? Nope. Is it pop-radio friendly? Nope? But, is it good? If one can strip away the nostalgia-factor when judging classic artists, YES.

The problem w U2 is that they care FAR too much about what anyone thinks. IMO, it all started w half-empty stadiums (or worst) on the PopMart tour. Ever since the original Joshua Tree tour, they became accustomed to always selling out. So, when they failed to do so, it obviously had an effect.

Yes, their ATYCLB album is damn good. But, listen to TGBHF, and imagine if they had artistically gone more in that direction.

Also, I have to make a comment about their NLOTH album, as I think that its "poor sales" have helped to push U2 to where they are today. While it sold 1,000,000+ hard copies, that is clearly low by their own standards. Hell, look at their HTDAAB sales. There are zero comparisons. All the same, while HTDAAB helped to usher in the digital music era, by way of their Vertigo being attached to the now defunct iPod (replaced by the iPhone), the record label had not yet figured out how best to include these digital sales into their equations. Thus, when NLOTH came out, digital sales were not yet counted as equivalent to physical sales, such as they are today.

With that said, I say with 1,000% confidence that NLOTH sold FAR BETTER than the band seems to think. Hell, part of my proof is HOW WELL THE 360° TOUR SOLD, STILL BEING BOTH THE HIGHEST GROSSING AND HIGHEST ATTENDED TOUR OF ALL TIME.

All the same, as U2 is paranoid about having "pop hits on the radio" (do they not realize the import of ranking well in things like Spotify, YouTube, and Pandora?!), they then opted to release SOI in the manner that they did. From there, the rest is largely history.

IMO, they should write songs like they did for albums like War and Achtung Baby: not to duplicate the sounds, but to duplicate the methodology: to write something good, regardless of whether or not its "popular".

Offline mikepd

• Stateless
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2017, 11:41:33 AM »
Great article on SoE and U2, with a very nice quote from The Edge. Not everything's for us. ;)

“We still really believe that we can make a great record... Which is a very different motivation to go in to make an album than thinking, ‘Well, we’ve got to whip one out for the fans.’”

This paradigm that The Edge describes (either making a new Actung Baby, or just whipping out a new album for fucks sake) is what irks me. Can there be no middle-ground? For me, I think of Bob Dylan: he doesn't give even half of one sh** about getting a new Like A Rolling Stone or "appeasing the masses"; he cares about doing what is artistically important to him. Hence his Triplicate album, a 3-disc release of (mostly) Sinatra covers. Is it groundbreaking? Nope. Is it pop-radio friendly? Nope? But, is it good? If one can strip away the nostalgia-factor when judging classic artists, YES.

The problem w U2 is that they care FAR too much about what anyone thinks. IMO, it all started w half-empty stadiums (or worst) on the PopMart tour. Ever since the original Joshua Tree tour, they became accustomed to always selling out. So, when they failed to do so, it obviously had an effect.

Yes, their ATYCLB album is damn good. But, listen to TGBHF, and imagine if they had artistically gone more in that direction.

Also, I have to make a comment about their NLOTH album, as I think that its "poor sales" have helped to push U2 to where they are today. While it sold 1,000,000+ hard copies, that is clearly low by their own standards. Hell, look at their HTDAAB sales. There are zero comparisons. All the same, while HTDAAB helped to usher in the digital music era, by way of their Vertigo being attached to the now defunct iPod (replaced by the iPhone), the record label had not yet figured out how best to include these digital sales into their equations. Thus, when NLOTH came out, digital sales were not yet counted as equivalent to physical sales, such as they are today.

With that said, I say with 1,000% confidence that NLOTH sold FAR BETTER than the band seems to think. Hell, part of my proof is HOW WELL THE 360° TOUR SOLD, STILL BEING BOTH THE HIGHEST GROSSING AND HIGHEST ATTENDED TOUR OF ALL TIME.

All the same, as U2 is paranoid about having "pop hits on the radio" (do they not realize the import of ranking well in things like Spotify, YouTube, and Pandora?!), they then opted to release SOI in the manner that they did. From there, the rest is largely history.

IMO, they should write songs like they did for albums like War and Achtung Baby: not to duplicate the sounds, but to duplicate the methodology: to write something good, regardless of whether or not its "popular".
  so NLOTH sold between 4-5m copies so not sure where you got the 1m figure ?

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • Nashville, Montreal 1 & 2
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2017, 11:53:24 AM »

Nice new profile pic.

i do. i think her name's Debra?

Awesome

Offline lazyboy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2017, 01:31:59 PM »
Didn't Adam whip one out for the fans already! Keep it in yer pants lads!!

Offline Moser

• Wanderer
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2017, 02:04:23 PM »
I think some people are reading into this a bit too much. The band is not saying they don't want to produce music for the fans. They're saying they write because they think they can still make a great record, and not because fans are due a new record.

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2017, 03:13:28 PM »
I think some people are reading into this a bit too much. The band is not saying they don't want to produce music for the fans. They're saying they write because they think they can still make a great record, and not because fans are due a new record.

This is all he was saying. Rather than automatically issuing an album every 2-3 years, which they could do, they prefer to wait until they feel they have something special to offer.

Offline habib2343

• Wanderer
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2017, 03:20:53 PM »
i think the band are very tetchy and anxious about SOE and how it will be received. Especially after two lukewarm receptions for NLOTH and SOI. As someone said in another post, they should stop giving a damn what people think about their new music and just release it..I don't think they're committing to a release date as they want further time to tweak the tunes as the JT tour comes to a close next month. Especially on jimmy fallon, edge looked like he still wants time to tweak the tunes ..surely the band realise at this stage in their career, anything they release is not going to have the same impact as JT in '87 or AB' in 91 commercially. They should release music because that is the music that is coming out of them in 2017 and not because they want it to have the same impact as their career high points....

less best thing and more blackout and this fan is a happy camper...:-)

Offline cocamojoe

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2017, 04:01:15 PM »

Where are you getting your 4-5 million copies number? On the album's Wikipedia page, the numbers are posted, per country. I just added them up, and got 2,791,019.

My 1,000,000 figure was specifically for the US (though the same Wikipedia page lists it at 1,200,000).

Regardless, my point still stands.

Offline Rasmus

• Stateless
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2017, 04:30:49 PM »

Where are you getting your 4-5 million copies number? On the album's Wikipedia page, the numbers are posted, per country. I just added them up, and got 2,791,019.

My 1,000,000 figure was specifically for the US (though the same Wikipedia page lists it at 1,200,000).

Regardless, my point still stands.

From the same Wikipedia page: "By June 2009, over five million copies had been sold worldwide. Globally it was the seventh-highest-selling album of 2009.".

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2017, 06:09:06 PM »

This is all he was saying. Rather than automatically issuing an album every 2-3 years, which they could do, they prefer to wait until they feel they have something special to offer.

Hit the nail on the head.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • Nashville, Montreal 1 & 2
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2017, 06:30:09 PM »

I was at a RATM concert once and the bassist did whip it out. No joking, full glory.

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2017, 06:56:35 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline lazyboy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2017, 06:59:46 PM »

I was at a RATM concert once and the bassist did whip it out. No joking, full glory.

Amazing! The true origin of the "rock out with your c*** out" phrase :D