Author Topic: The Edge: "We've got to whip one out for the fans."  (Read 3548 times)

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NJ, NYC 3,Belfast 1,2
Re: The Edge: "We've got to whip one out for the fans."
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2017, 10:17:18 PM »
It was on the back stage of Lollapalooza 93. He had a hat over his crotch and said this is your brain on drugs and took the hat away.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2017, 10:32:55 PM »
U2 hasn't whipped one out for the fans since Adams nude photo on achtung baby :-)

Offline Smee

• Numb
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2017, 11:02:22 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
So they want to make an album to the "pop kids"...and the fans can´t appreciate good music.  ::)

IMO, being surrounded by people like Oseary or Tedder is dangerous for their career.

Pretty much my feeling too. I preferred the old days, with McGuiness and Eno and Lanois

Offline habib2343

• Wanderer
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2017, 02:29:54 PM »
here here,,, for decades we had the reliability of single-album-tour campaigns. Ever since Paul McG retired and this Oseary dude took over, I think his handling of u2's latest campaigns have been muddled to put it politely. Even this whole strategy regarding the Joshua tree and SOE seems messy. People say the industry has changed with musical ubiquity thanks to the Internet and streaming services, but the SOI debacle and now releasing a brand new album at the end of a retrospective tour seems a bit ...uh ? I'm presuming they are going to tour next year, so does this mean they will retire the JT warhouses in their entirety ?

Oseary, you're no McG..I too yearn for the steady hands of eno and lanois...

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2017, 04:00:57 PM »
here here,,, for decades we had the reliability of single-album-tour campaigns. Ever since Paul McG retired and this Oseary dude took over, I think his handling of u2's latest campaigns have been muddled to put it politely. Even this whole strategy regarding the Joshua tree and SOE seems messy. People say the industry has changed with musical ubiquity thanks to the Internet and streaming services, but the SOI debacle and now releasing a brand new album at the end of a retrospective tour seems a bit ...uh ? I'm presuming they are going to tour next year, so does this mean they will retire the JT warhouses in their entirety ?

The SOI fiasco was planned by U2 while McGuinness was around and I doubt Oseaet had a whole lot of influence over their touring decisions since SOI .....

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2017, 12:23:49 AM »

The same Paul McGuinness who is terrified of digital downloads and thinks that U2’s value in the future comes from box sets? McGuinness was brilliant when music consumption was based off physical objects. It’s not anymore, and he’s made it quite clear that he doesn’t like that. This is not to say that Oseary is a suitable replacement. Ideally they’d find a manager who knows how to market their massive marketing presence and catalogue while still hyping them like they’re a new, hungry band.

And Eno/Lanois were more involved on No Line On The Horizon than any previous album, based on how they describe the process.

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2017, 01:41:09 AM »
Some things are out of U2's control with promoting a new song, but you'd think they could've pulled some strings and ponied up some cash to have You're The Best Thing displayed more prominently on iTunes. If you didn't know the song was already out, you wouldn't see it. And the song deserves better than that.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2017, 02:12:12 AM »

The same Paul McGuinness who is terrified of digital downloads and thinks that U2’s value in the future comes from box sets? McGuinness was brilliant when music consumption was based off physical objects. It’s not anymore, and he’s made it quite clear that he doesn’t like that. This is not to say that Oseary is a suitable replacement. Ideally they’d find a manager who knows how to market their massive marketing presence and catalogue while still hyping them like they’re a new, hungry band.

And Eno/Lanois were more involved on No Line On The Horizon than any previous album, based on how they describe the process.

Haha, really good points. And though it's off topic a bit, I am convinced that the line that "no one knows when this art house film project about the Joshua Tree tour became this major studio picture" is bo****ks. McGuiness pushed for R&H to be what it became.

Offline sulphur76

• Refugee
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2017, 06:06:48 AM »

From interviews with Eno and Lanois after its release, I got the feeling their involvement dwindled during the second half of it's production. Much like what happened to DM during SOI, the band took what they had and went back to the studio with others. Which is where you got Crazy Tonight with Will.I.Am, etc. Eno spoke of being surprised by what the final product was of Breathe, and how far inferior the final release of the album was to the earlier mixes he was more involved in. I think that is pretty telling.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NJ, NYC 3,Belfast 1,2
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2017, 07:38:49 AM »

Actually PJ uses this overlap model to some success.

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2017, 03:11:15 AM »

From interviews with Eno and Lanois after its release, I got the feeling their involvement dwindled during the second half of it's production. Much like what happened to DM during SOI, the band took what they had and went back to the studio with others. Which is where you got Crazy Tonight with Will.I.Am, etc. Eno spoke of being surprised by what the final product was of Breathe, and how far inferior the final release of the album was to the earlier mixes he was more involved in. I think that is pretty telling.

Lanois said the same thing, that U2 should have stayed in Fez where the "magic was happening" and finished it there.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2017, 05:31:20 PM »

It is good to take those statements in context, though. Brian Eno doesn’t have a 40 year career of being one of the most massive rock bands ever to factor in, and Daniel Lanois isn’t the one on stage every show night performing to tens of thousands of people. They almost certainly have different goals and priorities than the band.