Author Topic: What are your controversial U2 thoughts?  (Read 7653 times)

Offline Smee

• Numb
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
Re: What are your controversial U2 thoughts?
« Reply #180 on: September 24, 2017, 09:03:15 AM »
I dont think Miss Sarejevo works well live. I cringe when bono attempts to deliver the Pavarotti part. Best left as a studio only song

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #181 on: September 24, 2017, 09:42:54 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I dont think Miss Sarejevo works well live. I cringe when bono attempts to deliver the Pavarotti part. Best left as a studio only song
Yes, this was my least favorite part of the show.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #182 on: September 24, 2017, 12:14:19 PM »

Especially given that he doesn't do the falsetto part.

Offline World71R

• Refugee
  • It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success
« Reply #183 on: September 24, 2017, 03:04:13 PM »
Wasn't sure where to put this, so I'll put it here:

Pop is a little too long. I think 10 or 11 songs would've worked, but 12 is just a bit too long, as much as that might sound like being nit-picky.

I like IGWSHA. It just needs a little work with the structure and sequencing of the different bits of the song. As it is, though it works as a good B-side.

I'm not a big fan of Wake Up Dead Man. I understand its purpose on Pop. However, it's just not a song I find myself listening to much, same with Miami, which is a song that has not aged well imo. The weird, genre-bending sound is cool, but it would've been better as a B-side since it just has a distinct throwaway quality to it.

The Playboy Mansion would've been regarded much more highly if it had a title like "Gates of the Mansion" and no mentions of The Playboy Mansion to put less of an emphasis on a dated reference and more on the deep lyrical content of the song (especially in the second half).

With all that said, my ideal tracklisting would be: Discotheque/Do You Feel Loved/Mofo/Staring at the Sun/Last Night on Earth/Gone/North and South/The Playboy Mansion/Velvet Dress/Please/Wake Up Dead Man

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #184 on: September 24, 2017, 03:06:42 PM »
Hollywood Swag, I do agree that NLOTH has one of the highest great song counts of any U2 album:  "Breathe", "Magnificent", "Fez", "Unknown Caller", "Stand Up Comedy", "Miracle"--that's quite a few right there.

That's either Bomb or SOI, depending on which one you mean.
Oh, right, SOI....my bad.

Offline motorcycleboy1984

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #185 on: September 24, 2017, 06:25:14 PM »
I basically draw a line in the sand after POP. i think they are still a great band. but hearing B-Day for the first time I was taken
back. the direction they took was nt going to be my cup of tea. but i understand and think they out lasted their heroes by miles anyway.
the bands u2 are compared to ether got "bad" much sooner or broke up! most great bands get about 10 years. u2 got almost double that. and they still produce great songs and live shows.

i do agree however that Boston DVD contains some of the best versions of their songs. watching it back its striking how much fire is
in the belly, bono has so much energy. of course he was 40 and still had it in him. so a song like "new york" which i dont really like- sounds bloody great on the DVD.

"every breaking wave" and "moment" are my fav u2 songs post POP.
"all because of you" "get on your boots" being my least favourite. and still cant believe they were singles.

ohhh and I cant stand "Pride"

and i love Miami. it prob be should have a b-side put sits perfectly in the context of the album. listening back think the drum loop
creates so much tension and edges guitar is off the charts good as the release so to speak. i agree with a previous post that "elevation" and "new york" wound have sat with the POP album better.

im not proud of this but iv gone off "One" I think the mary j blige version put me off it. not sure.
 its not overplay because i love "with or without you" even more now than ever.

think the two new songs are average and not going to set the world alight as much as the band feel. hope im wrong. i understand
their ambitions for great songs but its just not gonna convert anybody.

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #186 on: September 24, 2017, 07:04:50 PM »
I basically draw a line in the sand after POP. i think they are still a great band. but hearing B-Day for the first time I was taken
back. the direction they took was nt going to be my cup of tea. but i understand and think they out lasted their heroes by miles anyway.
the bands u2 are compared to ether got "bad" much sooner or broke up! most great bands get about 10 years. u2 got almost double that. and they still produce great songs and live shows.

i do agree however that Boston DVD contains some of the best versions of their songs. watching it back its striking how much fire is
in the belly, bono has so much energy. of course he was 40 and still had it in him. so a song like "new york" which i dont really like- sounds bloody great on the DVD.

"every breaking wave" and "moment" are my fav u2 songs post POP.
"all because of you" "get on your boots" being my least favourite. and still cant believe they were singles.

ohhh and I cant stand "Pride"

and i love Miami. it prob be should have a b-side put sits perfectly in the context of the album. listening back think the drum loop
creates so much tension and edges guitar is off the charts good as the release so to speak. i agree with a previous post that "elevation" and "new york" wound have sat with the POP album better.

im not proud of this but iv gone off "One" I think the mary j blige version put me off it. not sure.
 its not overplay because i love "with or without you" even more now than ever.

think the two new songs are average and not going to set the world alight as much as the band feel. hope im wrong. i understand
their ambitions for great songs but its just not gonna convert anybody.

I'm surprised how much I agree with you. Not everything, but a lot of it. Especially the bolded part.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #187 on: September 24, 2017, 10:43:35 PM »

I disagree. I heard MS on the 360 tour and it was fantastic--Bono seemed to nail Pavarotti's part in a way I didn't expect. Obviously not as good as Pav, but good enough live. However, I wasn't really thrilled with MS vocally at either of the JT shows I saw this summer. Maybe he just can't nail it the way he could on the 360 tour.

Offline achtungx

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Lillywhite Called Me a Naughty British Slang Word
« Reply #188 on: September 25, 2017, 07:35:26 AM »

Pop is a little too long. I think 10 or 11 songs would've worked, but 12 is just a bit too long, as much as that might sound like being nit-picky.

I like IGWSHA. It just needs a little work with the structure and sequencing of the different bits of the song. As it is, though it works as a good B-side.

I'm not a big fan of Wake Up Dead Man. I understand its purpose on Pop. However, it's just not a song I find myself listening to much, same with Miami, which is a song that has not aged well imo. The weird, genre-bending sound is cool, but it would've been better as a B-side since it just has a distinct throwaway quality to it.

The Playboy Mansion would've been regarded much more highly if it had a title like "Gates of the Mansion" and no mentions of The Playboy Mansion to put less of an emphasis on a dated reference and more on the deep lyrical content of the song (especially in the second half).

With all that said, my ideal tracklisting would be: Discotheque/Do You Feel Loved/Mofo/Staring at the Sun/Last Night on Earth/Gone/North and South/The Playboy Mansion/Velvet Dress/Please/Wake Up Dead Man

I always liked Dead Man, but thought it could be so much more. However, it's real strength is when you play the POP and ATYCLB albums back to back and you get the WUDM outro followed by the Beautiful Day intro. Love that.

Offline Rasmus

• Stateless
« Reply #189 on: September 25, 2017, 12:13:54 PM »

I always liked Dead Man, but thought it could be so much more. However, it's real strength is when you play the POP and ATYCLB albums back to back and you get the WUDM outro followed by the Beautiful Day intro. Love that.

Yeah I always understood ATYCLB as a direct response to Pop in that sense. Beautiful Day can be seen as the answer to the overwhelming darkness towards the end of the Pop album. It also one of the reasons why i love both albums so much.

Offline Matty_Mullens

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • "Brevity is the essence of wit" Brian Eno-1984
« Reply #190 on: September 25, 2017, 05:26:37 PM »

I disagree. I heard MS on the 360 tour and it was fantastic--Bono seemed to nail Pavarotti's part in a way I didn't expect. Obviously not as good as Pav, but good enough live. However, I wasn't really thrilled with MS vocally at either of the JT shows I saw this summer. Maybe he just can't nail it the way he could on the 360 tour.

I was doing some thinking.  I've already said that Miss Sarajevo doesn't really work within the set of the current Joshua Tree shows.  I think U2 missed a big opportunity to start the encore with Luminous Times (Hold on to Love).  Play that song directly into With or Without You.  Then Beautiful Day, Elevation, Vertigo and so on.  Miss Sarajevo just doesn't belong in a Joshua Tree themed show.  I think its a song best played indoors or in a more intimate setting.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #191 on: September 25, 2017, 05:34:52 PM »

I was doing some thinking.  I've already said that Miss Sarajevo doesn't really work within the set of the current Joshua Tree shows.  I think U2 missed a big opportunity to start the encore with Luminous Times (Hold on to Love).  Play that song directly into With or Without You.  Then Beautiful Day, Elevation, Vertigo and so on.  Miss Sarajevo just doesn't belong in a Joshua Tree themed show.  I think its a song best played indoors or in a more intimate setting.
Luminous Times into WOWY...oh, be still my heart! BEAUTIFUL.

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #192 on: September 25, 2017, 06:26:40 PM »
Luminous Times into WOWY...great thought, Matty Mullins.  I agree that the Miss Sarajevo bit, though well-intentioned, just didn't seem to work.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #193 on: September 25, 2017, 06:38:46 PM »
you all might want to try this alternate tracklisting for JT

1. Streets
2. Spanish Eyes
3. ISHF
4. Silver and Gold
5. Luminious Times (Hold On to Love)
6. WOWY
7. Walk to the Water
8. BTBS
9. RTSS
10. RHMT
11. Race Against Time
12. IGC
13. TTYW
14. Sweetest Thing
15. OTH
16. Exit
17. Heartland
18. MOTD
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 09:06:16 PM by THRILLHO »

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #194 on: September 25, 2017, 08:23:51 PM »
Adding "Heartland" and "Walk to the Water"?  I like how you think!