Author Topic: What are your controversial U2 thoughts?  (Read 9162 times)

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
Re: What are your controversial U2 thoughts?
« Reply #210 on: September 26, 2017, 06:23:10 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
U2 have never been experimental, they have explored the experiments of others and used them to produce their own sound.

Only if you purely associate experimentality with contribution to the entire music scene.

Even so, you can argue that Achtung Baby was partly responsible for bringing sampling to the forefront of popular music, as the technique was moreso involved with hip-hop at the time.  Plus, Edge's varied guitar sounds were unlike that of most other band's... he was quite the innovator in a time where New Wave and Post-Punk dominated radio. It took years for his tones to be replicated in an easy and efficient way, thanks to the advancement of music technology.

But overall, I do concede that U2 have not been especially vital in furthering the overall experimentation of music (if we are talking about the music exclusively and ignoring other aspects of thus band's output, liking touring and whatnot).

However, by nature, U2 were (and hopefully still are) an experimental band. Pursuing a more adventurous sound, even for personal gain, is still experimentation. U2 have toyed with genre-bending, unique instruments and synthesizers, abnormal time-signatures, sampling, etc.

Offline davis

• Wanderer
« Reply #211 on: September 27, 2017, 05:18:25 PM »
ATYCLB completed the aesthetic arc of U2's career.  Some very good songs aside, every album since has been a failed attempt to add to, or reopen, a meaningful creative narrative that ended in 2000. 

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #212 on: September 27, 2017, 05:24:21 PM »
U2 have never been experimental, they have explored the experiments of others and used them to produce their own sound.

Only if you purely associate experimentality with contribution to the entire music scene.

Even so, you can argue that Achtung Baby was partly responsible for bringing sampling to the forefront of popular music, as the technique was moreso involved with hip-hop at the time.  Plus, Edge's varied guitar sounds were unlike that of most other band's... he was quite the innovator in a time where New Wave and Post-Punk dominated radio. It took years for his tones to be replicated in an easy and efficient way, thanks to the advancement of music technology.

But overall, I do concede that U2 have not been especially vital in furthering the overall experimentation of music (if we are talking about the music exclusively and ignoring other aspects of thus band's output, liking touring and whatnot).

However, by nature, U2 were (and hopefully still are) an experimental band. Pursuing a more adventurous sound, even for personal gain, is still experimentation. U2 have toyed with genre-bending, unique instruments and synthesizers, abnormal time-signatures, sampling, etc.

Does "experimenting" mean trying something that has never been done, or trying something YOU'VE never done? I might "experiment" with LSD or cross-dressing without claiming to have invented them.

Offline MysteriousFly

• Babyface
  • I believe in the powers that be..wont overpower me
« Reply #213 on: September 27, 2017, 07:47:41 PM »
Not sure how Controversial this is, but I always thought it would be cool if U2 went heavy metal and put out a metal record. They'd  probably never do it especially nowadays, but it would come out of left field and really test fan loyalty. Anyone ever think this would be cool?

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #214 on: September 27, 2017, 09:52:40 PM »

Does "experimenting" mean trying something that has never been done, or trying something YOU'VE never done? I might "experiment" with LSD or cross-dressing without claiming to have invented them.

Ha, well as long as you don't bring a DVD out on the outcome then we're all good.

Back to the point, to be truly experimental you have to produce a new output. U2 have always follwed a trend, their strength has always been that they outdo the artists that inspire and influence them, which must be insanely annoying for said artists.

So, as much as it may seem like a detour from the normal (I'm guessing here) for you to be whacked off your ti*s whilst wearing your best Sunday dress, you're probably not the first person to take a walk on the wild side. So, you are exploring a known substance and dress code, not experimenting them. Now, if you were to tell me you added a gas mask, a Cape, fire and pretended to ride an cloven hoofed animal by sitting on its back whilst steering with a paper plate, then I would concede you were being experimental. It's all about novel outputs.

I'm sure there's better ways of getting my point across, but worryingly I can't think of any right now.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 10:09:33 PM by Blueyedboy »

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
« Reply #215 on: September 27, 2017, 10:18:21 PM »

I think that the term is dependent on context. U2 are experimental for trying new things for themselves. U2 are not especially experimental from a broader, more historical view of music as a whole.

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #216 on: September 28, 2017, 01:16:00 AM »

I think that the term is dependent on context. U2 are experimental for trying new things for themselves. U2 are not especially experimental from a broader, more historical view of music as a whole.

Yeah that's pretty much what I was trying to say in the post above but in many more words  :)

Offline Rasmus

• Refugee
« Reply #217 on: September 28, 2017, 06:57:04 AM »
ATYCLB completed the aesthetic arc of U2's career.  Some very good songs aside, every album since has been a failed attempt to add to, or reopen, a meaningful creative narrative that ended in 2000.

Spot on. U2 could have ended their career perfectly on that album and tour in my opinion.

Offline Matty_Mullens

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • "Brevity is the essence of wit" Brian Eno-1984
« Reply #218 on: September 28, 2017, 10:49:01 AM »

I've felt this way for a while as well.

Offline ZEROpartII

• Child of Grace
« Reply #219 on: September 29, 2017, 12:44:20 PM »
Bono needs a personal trainer.

Yeah - I said it. The man is nowhere near good physical condition like he once was.

He needs to be slim enough to float on down for what he desires

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
« Reply #220 on: September 29, 2017, 01:19:11 PM »

Yeah - I said it. The man is nowhere near good physical condition like he once was.

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Undeniably your best meme, Zero. Great stuff.

Offline ZEROpartII

• Child of Grace
« Reply #221 on: September 29, 2017, 02:37:56 PM »

Undeniably your best meme, Zero. Great stuff.

Thanx knew you'd like it.  I have a new photoshop app on my phone that has taken my game to the next level.  I have a new side job in comms so I learn new stuff every time I make one. 

Offline ZEROpartII

• Child of Grace
« Reply #222 on: September 29, 2017, 03:36:10 PM »
Every hardcore fan on opening night of next year's tour

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #223 on: September 29, 2017, 04:37:09 PM »
That's a good one 8)

Offline mrharmonia

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #224 on: October 01, 2017, 09:33:59 AM »

Thanks for the laugh, this is absolutely incredible.