Author Topic: What are your controversial U2 thoughts?  (Read 9162 times)

Offline ZEROpartII

• Child of Grace
Re: What are your controversial U2 thoughts?
« Reply #225 on: October 01, 2017, 12:21:38 PM »
He doesn't need pennywise right now.  Best Thing is doing well. I play it at my backwoods bar and people like it.  Subconsciously tap their knuckles to it.  22 year old girl at work was grooving to it when I had it on, unprompted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #226 on: October 06, 2017, 04:25:15 AM »
Oh here's another thought.
U2 ARE PART OF THE SYSTEM THEY ONCE REBELLED AGAINST!

OK. So here's a bit of context behind this thought. I was listening to my weekly Spotify new release playlist and a song by Kate Tempest (Tunnel Vision) came on which pretty much narrates the protest that is happening all over the world. The song you can take or leave, but it got me thinking. Who is making the daring records anymore, the ones aimed at the establishment? Didn't that used to be U2?
So to take this further, when the band are telling us that there's so much to be angry about in the world today, and their pitch for relevance, why the effort to try and convince us that TJT is a political album when it most obviously isn't.
This isn't another resurrection of the 'Why are they touring a 30yr old album' argument, but more why have a band who prodded the social conscience hidden away from challenging the current regime?
Do they have too much to lose in terms of Bonos' ability to dial a president?  Have they suddenly become aligned with the western world foreign policy? Do the band have conflicting thoughts? Or, is it that they are afraid of marginalising some of their fanbase if they articulate their political persuasions in song?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 04:31:16 AM by Blueyedboy »

Offline lazyboy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #227 on: October 06, 2017, 07:46:18 AM »
Bono's voice is completely shot.

Exhibit A - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Exhibit B - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Granted they are rarely played, and both are at the end of a long enough gig......but yeah, even HE apologises after them :D

I love the man dearly, but old man time has really caught up on his vocal ability.

Offline fpsulli3

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #228 on: October 06, 2017, 11:33:17 AM »
Mercy is boring.

Offline DoYouFeelLoved

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Holy Dunc Space Junk
What are your controversial U2 thoughts?
« Reply #229 on: October 06, 2017, 12:24:47 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Granted they are rarely played, and both are at the end of a long enough gig......but yeah, even HE apologises after them

I love the man dearly, but old man time has really caught up on his vocal ability.
If he indulges in booze and partying as much as half as Noel Gallagher says he does, there's no surprises his voice has suffered a massive downhill on this tour.
Bad and NYD are already 1 key lower than usual, is he aiming to lower them even further?
The man needs to get a grip on himself if he wants to be able to sing well above his 60's.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 12:32:50 PM by DoYouFeelLoved »

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #230 on: October 06, 2017, 02:54:07 PM »
The Unforgettable Fire was never played better than on the 360 Tour (ducks).

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #231 on: October 06, 2017, 08:42:08 PM »
Not a big fan of Beautiful Day. It's ok, but it seems to be considered quintessential U2 and for me it just isn't really.

Offline aviastar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
What are your controversial U2 thoughts?
« Reply #232 on: October 06, 2017, 09:43:49 PM »
The Unforgettable Fire was never played better than on the 360 Tour (ducks).

TUF is my favorite U2 song, and I agree. It's a difficult one to pull off live.  Bono's vocals were spotty on a lot of live performances of it from 85-88...check the rattle and hum outtake....it's pretty bad.

They really nailed at on the 360 Rose Bowl show.. The only TJT tour version that I think came close was the Paris show.  I have some bootleg recordings from The Unforgettable Fire tour...and, yeah it's just not as on point as it was on 360.

That song is pretty demanding. Not sure if I would like them to do it now. Yeah it would be awesome to cross it off the list of songs I have seen live, but I don't think B could match his 2009 performance vocally.  He'd probably speak through the challenging parts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 09:58:30 PM by aviastar »

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #233 on: October 06, 2017, 11:30:39 PM »
Not a big fan of Beautiful Day. It's ok, but it seems to be considered quintessential U2 and for me it just isn't really.
I agree, Clarky.  Not their best moment, although I can appreciate that many love it.

Offline an cat dubh

« Reply #234 on: October 07, 2017, 06:34:04 PM »
A) Bono went from clever lyricist to a lyricist who thinks he's clever.
B) Edge should have a few more tracks where he's given lead vocals.
C) The band would be better off with Eno as a fifth member (and producer). 

Online Luzita

• Refugee
« Reply #235 on: October 07, 2017, 07:01:13 PM »
I agree, Clarky.  Not their best moment, although I can appreciate that many love it.
I agree. It's okay but there are several of their smash hits that don't do a lot for me and this is one of them

Offline an cat dubh

« Reply #236 on: October 07, 2017, 08:45:10 PM »
Great topic Matty!

My latest controversial thought...carpool karaoke ;)
I don't watch his show, but I like the guy on carpool, so I am a fan and then I just saw the latest episode with FooFighters...the below was my post on the video and a link to it You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login:

It was one of the best James and team have done, so nice job! I will admit, I now have an odd love/worry hope that U2 hops in the car ;)

You know U2 couldn't just do a normal carpool karaoke like any other band.  They'd have to have a sit-down interview in the studio, do a live in-studio performance of "(Mediocre new single)" and "(Something from 'War')" and then do the karaoke bit, but with the backseat filled with a gospel choir for "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For."  You know, because they aren't just any ordinary band.   

Miss San Diego

« Reply #237 on: October 08, 2017, 12:44:08 AM »
Wow, U2 fandom is uncannily similar to Supernatural fandom, at least here. Everything was always better way back when, and the end is always coming right away. They were saying that when I came in in season 6, and now they're about to start 13, lol. It will of course end eventually, like anything else, but none of the things they complain about ever change and time just keeps moving forward, so what they're getting out of it is anyone's guess. This seems to be a fixture of internet fandom in general, and I've been baffled and entertained by it for years. There's a lot more ageism here, but the Supernatural guys aren't in their *gasp* fifties yet. Reading some stuff around here, you'd think Bono was about 90, lol. I hope nobody tries to put me out to pasture in 14 years, dang. And here I am having just been to a show where I had to really look to find him sometimes after watching the screen for a while because he was all over the place, and sounded amazing. They're better now than they've ever been, and I can't wait for more. There it is, the most controversial thought. lolol

Offline Jdelbove

• Babyface
« Reply #238 on: October 08, 2017, 09:14:09 AM »

Granted they are rarely played, and both are at the end of a long enough gig......but yeah, even HE apologises after them

If he indulges in booze and partying as much as half as Noel Gallagher says he does, there's no surprises his voice has suffered a massive downhill on this tour.
Bad and NYD are already 1 key lower than usual, is he aiming to lower them even further?
The man needs to get a grip on himself if he wants to be able to sing well above his 60's.

I have been watching pretty much every show on youtube since the tour started and his voice has definitely declined.  He sounded great at some of the European shows.  Based on what I have heard the Mexico shows are the worst he has sounded and of course they are tapping them for a DVD  :-[.  He was sounding rough towards the very end of the US leg and I hoped he would recover after a few days off but it sounds like his voice has further deteriorated.  I just hope that he can recover before the SOE tour.  Remember how good he sounded at the beginning of the Innocence tour. 

Check out Iris from Vancouver

When his voice is on or when its off he doesnt even sound like the same singer.

Offline robgalloway

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #239 on: October 08, 2017, 11:19:17 AM »
My controversial thought is ....

I'd really love it if U2 played Window in the Skies, Ordinary Love, and Electrical Storm at any show ... very underrated