Author Topic: What are your controversial U2 thoughts?  (Read 9162 times)

Offline tarheelmch

• Babyface
Re: What are your controversial U2 thoughts?
« Reply #240 on: October 08, 2017, 11:53:31 AM »
Wow, U2 fandom is uncannily similar to Supernatural fandom, at least here. Everything was always better way back when, and the end is always coming right away. They were saying that when I came in in season 6, and now they're about to start 13, lol. It will of course end eventually, like anything else, but none of the things they complain about ever change and time just keeps moving forward, so what they're getting out of it is anyone's guess. This seems to be a fixture of internet fandom in general, and I've been baffled and entertained by it for years. There's a lot more ageism here, but the Supernatural guys aren't in their *gasp* fifties yet. Reading some stuff around here, you'd think Bono was about 90, lol. I hope nobody tries to put me out to pasture in 14 years, dang. And here I am having just been to a show where I had to really look to find him sometimes after watching the screen for a while because he was all over the place, and sounded amazing. They're better now than they've ever been, and I can't wait for more. There it is, the most controversial thought. lolol

Agree!

Offline Rasmus

• Refugee
« Reply #241 on: October 08, 2017, 11:55:14 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The Unforgettable Fire was never played better than on the 360 Tour (ducks).

No need to dodge anything :). It was the highlight of the tour for me together with Zooropa.

Offline lazyboy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #242 on: October 08, 2017, 12:28:13 PM »
Bono's voice is completely shot.

Exhibit A - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Exhibit B - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Granted they are rarely played, and both are at the end of a long enough gig......but yeah, even HE apologises after them

I love the man dearly, but old man time has really caught up on his vocal ability.
If he indulges in booze and partying as much as half as Noel Gallagher says he does, there's no surprises his voice has suffered a massive downhill on this tour.
Bad and NYD are already 1 key lower than usual, is he aiming to lower them even further?
The man needs to get a grip on himself if he wants to be able to sing well above his 60's.

I have been watching pretty much every show on youtube since the tour started and his voice has definitely declined.  He sounded great at some of the European shows.  Based on what I have heard the Mexico shows are the worst he has sounded and of course they are tapping them for a DVD  :-[.  He was sounding rough towards the very end of the US leg and I hoped he would recover after a few days off but it sounds like his voice has further deteriorated.  I just hope that he can recover before the SOE tour.  Remember how good he sounded at the beginning of the Innocence tour. 

Check out Iris from Vancouver

When his voice is on or when its off he doesnt even sound like the same singer.

It's strikingly bad. It's jarring to watch him live these days, compared to even 12 years ago. Again understandable, but yeah, harsh reality.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #243 on: October 08, 2017, 12:40:51 PM »
The Unforgettable Fire was never played better than on the 360 Tour (ducks).

TUF is my favorite U2 song, and I agree. It's a difficult one to pull off live.  Bono's vocals were spotty on a lot of live performances of it from 85-88...check the rattle and hum outtake....it's pretty bad.

They really nailed at on the 360 Rose Bowl show.. The only TJT tour version that I think came close was the Paris show.  I have some bootleg recordings from The Unforgettable Fire tour...and, yeah it's just not as on point as it was on 360.

That song is pretty demanding. Not sure if I would like them to do it now. Yeah it would be awesome to cross it off the list of songs I have seen live, but I don't think B could match his 2009 performance vocally.  He'd probably speak through the challenging parts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep, exactly. It's the kind of song that demands subtlety both in the vocals and drums, which is why they didn't pull it off that well in its JT Tour iteration. Like with WOWY on ZooTV, the band needed to grow into a better way to play it live, which they did on 360.

PS - Better than the Rose Bowl was the 360 show they broadcast on the radio, but I can't remember where it was from. Sheffield I think? TUF from that show was killer.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 12:44:46 PM by The Exile »

Offline Moser

• Wanderer
« Reply #244 on: October 09, 2017, 11:24:42 AM »
Everything was always better way back when, and the end is always coming right away.

Insufferable old farts still following their favorite band from their teenage years who claim U2 was never good after Pop. I know people have opinions, but why are they still going onto a U2 fan forum to repeat the same tiring things over and over for the past 17 years? There is nothing U2 can do that will make them change their opinion. I get it. You're disappointed. Just move on already. It's such a drag for fans who are actually excited about new content and come here to discuss the new content.

ATYCLB was their turning point and haven't been good since. This new stuff just proves my point.

Point taken. Thanks. Thanks a lot for that. Never knew you felt that way. Very enlightening. I'm so glad we have a fan forum where fans who haven't liked their favorite band's music for two decades can come online and crap on their new stuff. Over, and over, and over again.

Gotta make sure I let everybody know that U2 is still disappointing! Because my feelings count too!

Yes, they do. Unfortunately. Truly now, the dinosaur still wanders the Earth.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 11:26:51 AM by Moser »

Offline Smee

• Numb
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
« Reply #245 on: October 09, 2017, 12:08:06 PM »

Granted they are rarely played, and both are at the end of a long enough gig......but yeah, even HE apologises after them :D

I love the man dearly, but old man time has really caught up on his vocal ability.

When i heard these two songs the other day, i have to admit, i was a bit shocked at the delivery of the vocal. I think we just have to accept, that Bono struggles a lot, with certain songs, from pre ATYCLB period. Songs after then, he sounds fine on (IMHO)

Offline 73October

• Running to Stand Still
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #246 on: October 09, 2017, 02:54:19 PM »

Granted they are rarely played, and both are at the end of a long enough gig......but yeah, even HE apologises after them :D

When i heard these two songs the other day, i have to admit, i was a bit shocked at the delivery of the vocal. I think we just have to accept, that Bono struggles a lot, with certain songs, from pre ATYCLB period. Songs after then, he sounds fine on (IMHO)

If you think Bono's performances in Mexico weren't good - try watching Elton John singing Rocket Man in 1972 from Royal Festival Hall London and then any performance of the same song from 2017.  The fancy twiddly piano intro must be to detract from the fact that he sings it like a bar singer parody of himself?  Elton's voice is totally shot. 

Miss San Diego

« Reply #247 on: October 09, 2017, 08:43:07 PM »
Everything was always better way back when, and the end is always coming right away.

Insufferable old farts still following their favorite band from their teenage years who claim U2 was never good after Pop. I know people have opinions, but why are they still going onto a U2 fan forum to repeat the same tiring things over and over for the past 17 years? There is nothing U2 can do that will make them change their opinion. I get it. You're disappointed. Just move on already. It's such a drag for fans who are actually excited about new content and come here to discuss the new content.

ATYCLB was their turning point and haven't been good since. This new stuff just proves my point.

Point taken. Thanks. Thanks a lot for that. Never knew you felt that way. Very enlightening. I'm so glad we have a fan forum where fans who haven't liked their favorite band's music for two decades can come online and crap on their new stuff. Over, and over, and over again.

Gotta make sure I let everybody know that U2 is still disappointing! Because my feelings count too!

Yes, they do. Unfortunately. Truly now, the dinosaur still wanders the Earth.

Seriously. I'd rather play in traffic than post continuously day after day about things I don't like anymore, but people are strange. There are lots of cool people here, though, and things can turn around very quickly, so I hope nobody gets too discouraged when others miss the point of a fan forum.

Also strange is the extreme faith folks here place in cellphone concert videos as evidence of anything, when they're actually hot garbage. Cellphones have little weinie mics designed for conversation at a normal volume. They do not have the technological capability to make any sense of very loud rock concerts. What you're getting is a limp, distant, distorted imitation of the real thing. Even a good bootleg has a bunch of noise in it that can color your perceptions if you don't know how it really was. There just isn't a perfectly faithful amateur way to capture these things, so judging a live performance from them is really unfair. I was at the last US date for JT two weeks ago. I heard him fill that whole stadium with his voice, and it was beautiful. Is his voice perfect at all times? No, and it never has been, what with him being a human being and all, but there's a whole wide world between that and what some seem determined to believe about vast swaths of this tour. If he was actually so terrible, don't you think that would be all over the reviews? The one from my local paper specifically says how great he sounded, "strong as ever." The only review I've seen that's even snippy about his abilities is a Guardian piece whose author didn't care for his harmonica playing. I mean, it sounded good to me, but he said himself that the harmonica had been invented in Germany, made extraordinary here, and would now be murdered by an Irishman.  ;D

monopoly

« Reply #248 on: October 09, 2017, 10:08:04 PM »
I don't like EBTTRT on record. I thought invisible sucked live. Ordinary love is one of their best songs in years. I can't wait to hear vertigo live. The synth in California is amazing. 360 tour was one of their best. U2 needs to stop pulling people on stage

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #249 on: October 09, 2017, 11:01:36 PM »
Would anybody care to enlighten me by describing the true purpose of a fan forum?

Banishing any and all "negativity" from this community would be to transform it drastically. Is meaningful, open-minded discussion truly a waste of time simply because you possess a "negative" point-of-view? It's certainly not less so than a pointless conglomerate devoid of opinion... since the impression that I get from y'all is that many believe @U2 would be better off purely as a means of glorification for this band.

Just start a Worship Thread if you want to eliminate differing opinion.

Miss San Diego

« Reply #250 on: October 10, 2017, 05:55:43 PM »
Look, when you can't even have a thread about post-concert depression, started by a clearly emotional OP looking for commiseration, without someone dropping by to randomly forecast the sad demise of the band, that's really excessive. That's just silly. Maybe it was misplaced, maybe not, but it's very odd that no one questioned it being there. That's indicative of a forum culture that's heavily negative by any reasonable standard. Put quotes around it if you like, but it's a thing that exists here. There's a fundamental disconnect between those for whom criticism and their right to criticize are extremely important to their experience, almost as if it's a fandom in itself, and those who, like most people, sought out a fan forum to talk to others who love what they love and have a good time, pure and simple. Most people don't seek out these places to see the thing they love picked apart and torn down and to have its end predicted over and over. That's where the annoyance and frustration are coming from. This is deep and profound emotional territory for many people, and the kind of ironic and detached attitude popular in online fandoms is deeply foreign to many of us when it comes to this band. What's interesting is that you can criticize the band all you want, to the point of being outright hateful, but if you question the critics, you get a lot of overheated language about silencing opinions and free speech and the like. Nobody's trying to censor anybody, and these reactions speak to a certain rock critic preciousness that's quite funny. It's not automatically valid, or meaningful, or interesting, or anything else just because it's critical. Nor is it any of those things if it's not critical, but you know, it's a whole lot more fun. The best things that ever come out of fandom are deep dives into what we love passionately, why we love it, what it's meant to our lives, etc. I'd love to see more of that kind of exploration and communion and less silliness and strife.

Offline NOLA Fly

• Staring at the Sun
  • Feel like trash, You make me feel clean...
« Reply #251 on: October 10, 2017, 06:29:51 PM »

Granted they are rarely played, and both are at the end of a long enough gig......but yeah, even HE apologises after them

If he indulges in booze and partying as much as half as Noel Gallagher says he does, there's no surprises his voice has suffered a massive downhill on this tour.
Bad and NYD are already 1 key lower than usual, is he aiming to lower them even further?
The man needs to get a grip on himself if he wants to be able to sing well above his 60's.

I have been watching pretty much every show on youtube since the tour started and his voice has definitely declined.  He sounded great at some of the European shows.  Based on what I have heard the Mexico shows are the worst he has sounded and of course they are tapping them for a DVD  :-[.  He was sounding rough towards the very end of the US leg and I hoped he would recover after a few days off but it sounds like his voice has further deteriorated.  I just hope that he can recover before the SOE tour.  Remember how good he sounded at the beginning of the Innocence tour. 

Check out Iris from Vancouver

When his voice is on or when its off he doesnt even sound like the same singer.

It's strikingly bad. It's jarring to watch him live these days, compared to even 12 years ago. Again understandable, but yeah, harsh reality.

I saw them in New Orleans and thought he sounded great. Even better than when I saw them in Dallas.  My friends who had never seen them before all commented on how good he sounded. He may not be at his peak anymore, but he still sounds pretty amazing to me.

Offline NOLA Fly

• Staring at the Sun
  • Feel like trash, You make me feel clean...
« Reply #252 on: October 10, 2017, 07:13:15 PM »
Look, when you can't even have a thread about post-concert depression, started by a clearly emotional OP looking for commiseration, without someone dropping by to randomly forecast the sad demise of the band, that's really excessive. That's just silly. Maybe it was misplaced, maybe not, but it's very odd that no one questioned it being there. That's indicative of a forum culture that's heavily negative by any reasonable standard. Put quotes around it if you like, but it's a thing that exists here. There's a fundamental disconnect between those for whom criticism and their right to criticize are extremely important to their experience, almost as if it's a fandom in itself, and those who, like most people, sought out a fan forum to talk to others who love what they love and have a good time, pure and simple. Most people don't seek out these places to see the thing they love picked apart and torn down and to have its end predicted over and over. That's where the annoyance and frustration are coming from. This is deep and profound emotional territory for many people, and the kind of ironic and detached attitude popular in online fandoms is deeply foreign to many of us when it comes to this band. What's interesting is that you can criticize the band all you want, to the point of being outright hateful, but if you question the critics, you get a lot of overheated language about silencing opinions and free speech and the like. Nobody's trying to censor anybody, and these reactions speak to a certain rock critic preciousness that's quite funny. It's not automatically valid, or meaningful, or interesting, or anything else just because it's critical. Nor is it any of those things if it's not critical, but you know, it's a whole lot more fun. The best things that ever come out of fandom are deep dives into what we love passionately, why we love it, what it's meant to our lives, etc. I'd love to see more of that kind of exploration and communion and less silliness and strife.

Good post. Would read again.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #253 on: October 10, 2017, 07:42:49 PM »
Well said, Miss San Diego.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #254 on: October 10, 2017, 10:34:21 PM »

If there do exist any posts that are outright hateful, then those should simply be reported. That behavior has no place around here.