Author Topic: What are your controversial U2 thoughts?  (Read 11349 times)

Offline Magnificent

• Wanderer
Re: What are your controversial U2 thoughts?
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2017, 10:05:14 AM »
Drowning Man is their best tune by a country mile.

Offline julez728

• Stateless
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2017, 10:11:14 AM »
After this tour I hope they cut ISHFWILF and With or Without You from any future set list.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2017, 10:41:10 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
After this tour I hope they cut ISHFWILF and With or Without You from any future set list.
WOW. Honestly, I don't disagree with this! But, it is a controversial thought.

Offline aviastar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2017, 10:46:55 AM »

I could see after having a tour devoted to TJT - where TJT is played every show, that maybe taking a break from TJT stuff would be good idea.  For at least the next tour.  After all, maybe with SOE/E+I they could focus on both the new album, a little of SOI, and some stuff that doesn't get a lot of play (Zooropa and Pop).  They've been playing those two songs heavily on most tours since the 80s...maybe it's time to rotate them out for a little while...I'd add IWF and Pride to that list as well...maybe One as well.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 10:50:18 AM by aviastar »

Offline lazyboy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2017, 10:50:45 AM »
that would be great. Cut all the old war horses and give us much less played stuff. Very doubtful they'd do that. Maybe indoors they'd be more inclined to.

Offline aviastar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2017, 10:53:17 AM »
That lends to another controversial U2 thought: I loved One when AB came out.  Now I find it a yawner.  It's an unquestionably great song....but I am so burned out on it after so many years it's not one that I really reach for anymore.

Offline AKDeepPlay

• Babyface
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2017, 11:30:49 AM »
That lends to another controversial U2 thought: I loved One when AB came out.  Now I find it a yawner.  It's an unquestionably great song....but I am so burned out on it after so many years it's not one that I really reach for anymore.

I feel the same way about Pride - It actually keeps TUF from being my #1.

Offline Smee

• Numb
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2017, 11:55:57 AM »
My doubtlessly controversial u2 thought is, that it is at least 20 yrs now, since we have had a truly great u2 album.

Offline sulphur76

• Refugee
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2017, 12:01:28 PM »

I could see after having a tour devoted to TJT - where TJT is played every show, that maybe taking a break from TJT stuff would be good idea.  For at least the next tour.  After all, maybe with SOE/E+I they could focus on both the new album, a little of SOI, and some stuff that doesn't get a lot of play (Zooropa and Pop).  They've been playing those two songs heavily on most tours since the 80s...maybe it's time to rotate them out for a little while...I'd add IWF and Pride to that list as well...maybe One as well.

One could make the argument that after touring extensively in 2014-15, and a stadium tour in 2017, they may actually NEED to focus on playing some rarely played songs to get their fan base into the seats in 2018. I have friends that would be willing to come out if they included more songs from AB/Zooropa/POP, but probably would not come out for the new album + the warhorses. Depending on how good or bad the new album is, I might be in the same boat.

Offline julez728

• Stateless
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2017, 12:25:54 PM »

To be honest, I thought they should have been dropped on the last tour. 

I agree with adding Pride to the list.  As far as One, I missed it last tour so it was nice to hear it again on TJT.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2017, 05:06:32 PM »
Taking the low road?!!  No comment.
     I agree with the above poster that "Volcano", "Unknown Caller", "Breathe", and "Stand Up Comedy" are good to great songs.  Perhaps NLOTH was ahead of its time?

Offline Pride

• Numb
  • North Dakota is best Dakota
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2017, 05:22:31 PM »
Here's a controversial thought, at least on this forum:
"NLOTH" was a very good album.  So was "October".  "Breathe", "Miracle", and "Magnificent" are very good songs.  These seem to be controversial and politically incorrect thoughts on this forum.

NLOTH was totally their best album of the 21st century, and October is my favorite album from the 80's.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2017, 05:25:37 PM »
I much prefer NLOTH to SOI...!

monopoly

« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2017, 05:30:01 PM »

It's not unlikely. I thought those two tracks were cut from vertigo tour? I think streets and WOWY will stay next year

Offline julez728

• Stateless
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2017, 06:07:17 PM »

It's not unlikely. I thought those two tracks were cut from vertigo tour? I think streets and WOWY will stay next year

It's possible they were...would have to look.  ISHFWILF wasn't played much during the last tour if I remember correctly.  I honestly don't think they will ever cut out Streets...I would be surprised if they did.