Author Topic: What are your controversial U2 thoughts?  (Read 8184 times)

Offline akindofhomecoming

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Re: What are your controversial U2 thoughts?
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2017, 07:05:09 PM »
Maybe I was just high, but "New York" is the best moment on the Boston DVD.

"One" and "Pride" are overrated.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2017, 07:08:03 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
After this tour I hope they cut ISHFWILF and With or Without You from any future set list.

ive been saying this for years now. i really wish they'd cut more 80s out of the set, i'm sure they wont put Pop songs in but theres plenty of post-Pop i'd love to hear. Kite, NY, Fez, Magnificent, TIWYCRMN, Cedarwood Road etc.

Maybe I was just high, but "New York" is the best moment on the Boston DVD.

"One" and "Pride" are overrated.

One is amazing but yea they can drop that from the set. Pride i'll add to WOWY and ISHF as song that desperately need to be dropped. They could be replaced with AIWIY, ASOH, God part 2, so so many other 80's songs/singles they ignore.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 07:10:54 PM by THRILLHO »

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2017, 08:09:56 PM »
Bad is a boring song for U2, especially live. Every time it is played instead of A Sort Of Homecoming on the Joshua Tree 2017 tour, my heart breaks a bit. 

Oh it feels good get that off my chest, haha.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2017, 08:13:42 PM »
Unknown Caller is a good song despite some not so great lyrics.  I remember absolutely loving it when NLOTH was released.

The lyrics are silly but I adore the melody and tune.

I like both the fact that it's a song by Mac users and that they were able to use the phrase "shush now".

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2017, 08:25:02 PM »
Bad is a boring song for U2, especially live. Every time it is played instead of A Sort Of Homecoming on the Joshua Tree 2017 tour, my heart breaks a bit. 

Oh it feels good get that off my chest, haha.

its great live most of the time but yea i was bummed they didnt play ASOH in Arlington

Offline KenKaniff

• Wanderer
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2017, 08:27:48 PM »
I don't like October or NLOTH at all.

I do like Pop but some people really blow it out to be better than it is. No, U2 isn't going to perform any of the songs or release a remastered/anniversary edition of this album. They ran as far as possible away from this album. They are never coming back.

Joshua Tree tour wasn't for 30th year anniversary or because it made sense in the world. It was because they needed a win. U2 is a band about being big and winning, and they haven't since ATYCLB (except for probably the Vertigo single). That's a long time to go without a win. Especially with two albums that not many people outside of U2 fans that cared. They needed to regroup and an easy win with JT30 tour.

I don't like "Little Things" or "Best Thing" at all. I do like "Blackout", but I love it even more than I probably should, because I compare it against output of the last 15thish years.

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Smack in the centre of contradiction = place to be
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2017, 08:44:09 PM »
The Edge ruined post 1990s U2.

He stopped playing rocking chords with experimental effects on songs.  He went back to his chiming, arpeggio, echo guitar sound and never went back.

Plus, he is the one that over thinks the records and won't let them be released until they are over produced.  The control freak in him micromanages too much (e.g. he even had to be the  one to work on the video for "You're the Best Thing About Me.")

Still love him and their music though.

Offline DK46

• Refugee
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2017, 09:01:09 PM »
Achtung Baby is their worst album.  JUST KIDDING.

In all seriousness, not sure if this is controversial, but I think U2 might be a better band name than The Hype.  But I sorta dig Feedback.  Initially, I like Bono, agreed U2 was a terrible band name, but it kinda stuck.

I think The Playboy Mansion is pretty great (as is Miami).  While it probably would've helped the record, I think Discotheque was an awesome choice for a lead single and I still love the video.

And wait for it...I enjoy Wild Honey. 

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2017, 11:47:58 PM »
U2s relevance died the moment the Good Friday peace agreement was signed.

Offline benpoke

• Refugee
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2017, 12:11:42 AM »
Elevation would have fit easily onto Pop.  (Which is why I can't quite understand people that love Pop but hate Elevation.)

If U2 had have initially presented it on the Popmart tour under the giant golden arch with Edge's handlebar moustache, it would have made absolute perfect sense, sonically, aesthetically and lyrically. 

Part of the reason it grates for some people is because it doesn't work with U2's more serious image/persona of this century.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2017, 12:14:18 AM »
its the horrid lyrics. say what you will about Pop but i personally don't think any of the lyrics stoop as low as Elevations mole in a hole, i and i in the sky, etc.

Offline benpoke

• Refugee
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2017, 12:49:10 AM »
its the horrid lyrics. say what you will about Pop but i personally don't think any of the lyrics stoop as low as Elevations mole in a hole, i and i in the sky, etc.

This one springs to mind:

"You know some places are like your auntie, but there’s no place like Miami! My mammy!"

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2017, 12:57:07 AM »

This one springs to mind:

"You know some places are like your auntie, but there’s no place like Miami! My mammy!"

Poetic

Offline ZEROpartII

• Child of Grace
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2017, 04:15:15 AM »
U2s relevance died the moment the Good Friday peace agreement was signed.
They are like Military Industrial Complex. Highly functional when the body count is high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sulphur76

• Refugee
« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2017, 05:59:05 AM »
I love Miami, I actually think it is better than a good third of the rest of POP (and I love that album). The odd time signature, the loud drum sound, the clank of Edge's guitar.

I love Elvis Presley and America. I understand people who don't like it because of the incoherent lyrics through most of the song, but the feel of the song is great. The textures of Edge's guitars, the melodies Bono sings, and even some of the on-the-spot lyrics you can understand, "and my heart is ripped out from the side."