Author Topic: What are your controversial U2 thoughts?  (Read 10244 times)

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
Re: What are your controversial U2 thoughts?
« Reply #60 on: September 12, 2017, 06:04:41 AM »
No more jokes. I do have a TRULY CONTROVERSIAL thought.

Elevation Tour > Zoo TV Tour

I'm not trolling. I genuinely believe U2 peaked on the Elevation Tour.

That's where they played the older tunes better, for instance. I rank the 2001 versions of "Streets", "Bullet", "Mysterious Ways", "Out of Control", "New Year's day" or "The Fly" higher than any other. Perfect balance between live action and screens. Perfect stage design for arenas. Interesting set lists (by U2's standards). Even ATYCLB songs sounded good in that context. Also, they didn't play "City of Blinding Lights" yet.

Offline aviastar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2017, 06:36:42 AM »
I don't know if this is controversial or not:

I used to take it personally when non-U2 fans would bash the band and say they sucked. Now, I am actually cool with it...I actually think U2 would do well playing to long-time fans. It means more space in GA, not as long lines for tickets, etc...

Offline julez728

• Wanderer
« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2017, 06:39:15 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I don't know if this is controversial or not:

I used to take it personally when non-U2 fans would bash the band and say they sucked. Now, I am actually cool with it...I actually think U2 would do well playing to long-time fans. It means more space in GA, not as long lines for tickets, etc...

I used to take it personally as well, but I then realized it's their loss and there is nothing I can say to change their minds.  :)

Offline Matty_Mullens

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • "Brevity is the essence of wit" Brian Eno-1984
« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2017, 07:15:50 AM »
Bad is a boring song for U2, especially live. Every time it is played instead of A Sort Of Homecoming on the Joshua Tree 2017 tour, my heart breaks a bit. 

Oh it feels good get that off my chest, haha.

That was one of the main goals I had when I started this thread.

Offline Matty_Mullens

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • "Brevity is the essence of wit" Brian Eno-1984
« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2017, 07:31:59 AM »
Controversial thought of the day:

U2 always went through phases throughout their career:

The young, fresh faced Boy and October phase.
The more grown up political War phase
The band on the rise, Live Aid era phase
The dress like desert pilgrims Joshua Tree phase
The Zoo TV phase
The Popmart cowboy hats and muscle shirts phase
The back to basics Bono glasses and Edge number tshirts phase

But for the past 10-15 years it seems like the band has lost its trademark ability to morph into a different style.  The band has kind of looked the same and to a degree SOUNDED the same since then.  Sure there have been a few different hairstyles and Adam ditched his glasses.  But nothing compared to how the band changed its look from the Lovetown tour into the early nineties Achtung Baby/Zoo TV look.

Offline fardreamer

• Child of Grace
  • The best things are easy to destroy
« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2017, 07:36:38 AM »
I think the Joshua Tree is very overrated. It's not in my top 5.

I think if they'd delayed Zooropa and released some kind of amalgamation of Zooropa and Pop in 1995/96 it would have been easily their greatest record and I'm a little bitter this didn't happen.

I think All That You can't Leave Behind is an excellent record.

I think No Line on the Horizon could have been a classic if they'd stuck to the original vision and it wasn't compromised.

I don't care about the band's taxes. Not even a tiny bit.

I loved the SOI iTunes release and hate that Bono apologised.

I think You're the Best Thing About Me is their best single since Beautiful Day.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 01:05:26 AM by fardreamer »

Offline aviastar

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2017, 07:56:23 AM »
I loved the SOI iTunes release and hate that Bono apologised.

Agree. People who sign up for a free service (including agreeing to a lengthy TOS contract that they click on and don't read) have no right to b**** about getting free music from said service. Bono should not have apologized.

Offline Neil Young, man!

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2017, 08:47:39 AM »
The pre-recorded fillers, the under-stage musicians and the pre-recorded one/two/three cues Larry is listening to are more embarrassing than we as fans care to admit.

Offline Neil Young, man!

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2017, 08:49:26 AM »
No more jokes. I do have a TRULY CONTROVERSIAL thought.

Elevation Tour > Zoo TV Tour

I'm not trolling. I genuinely believe U2 peaked on the Elevation Tour.

That's where they played the older tunes better, for instance. I rank the 2001 versions of "Streets", "Bullet", "Mysterious Ways", "Out of Control", "New Year's day" or "The Fly" higher than any other. Perfect balance between live action and screens. Perfect stage design for arenas. Interesting set lists (by U2's standards). Even ATYCLB songs sounded good in that context. Also, they didn't play "City of Blinding Lights" yet.
That is truly controversial, but I agree. Zoo TV had the novelty factor and swagger, but Elevation was way more solid. And it had a GREAT show starter (this is a test to see if An Tha is still on the forum).

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2017, 09:06:56 AM »
Most of what folks dislike about post-90's U2 had its origins with Achtung Baby.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline aviastar

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2017, 09:27:49 AM »
The pre-recorded fillers, the under-stage musicians and the pre-recorded one/two/three cues Larry is listening to are more embarrassing than we as fans care to admit.

I have a feeling that this is not exactly novel to modern rock shows though...It can't be only U2 who does this, no?

Offline Neil Young, man!

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2017, 09:40:02 AM »

I have a feeling that this is not exactly novel to modern rock shows though...It can't be only U2 who does this, no?
Probably right that others do it, but I actually don't think to the extent that U2 do/ And I am sure there are some that would absolutely never do it. It is true that many others solve the problem by adding more people on stage. Still a little embarrassing for U2 though imho, and many times unnecessary, the filler stuff does not add that much in many cases.

Offline mattryan94

• Babyface
« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2017, 10:17:56 AM »

Probably right that others do it, but I actually don't think to the extent that U2 do/ And I am sure there are some that would absolutely never do it. It is true that many others solve the problem by adding more people on stage. Still a little embarrassing for U2 though imho, and many times unnecessary, the filler stuff does not add that much in many cases.

To be fair at least they themselves are playing the stuff live. That's a major issue I have with a lot of rap concerts I've been to. Dudes are literally just rapping parts of bars over the song. No the instrumental, but the actual song with the vocals. Sometimes they'll only recites the last few words from a bar and I can't help but think why am I here?? The live concert experience has become pretty odd these days.

Offline Rasmus

• Refugee
« Reply #73 on: September 12, 2017, 03:21:35 PM »
Ordinary Love is a great pop song

Offline scott7

• Stateless
  • Surrender
« Reply #74 on: September 12, 2017, 04:02:13 PM »
October is one of their best albums.
Pop is overrated by folk here (though I love it it is not in their top 5).
Song for someone is beautiful.