Author Topic: What are your controversial U2 thoughts?  (Read 10229 times)

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
Re: What are your controversial U2 thoughts?
« Reply #255 on: October 11, 2017, 03:39:34 AM »
Life is full of positives and negatives, why should this forum be any different? Negative posts that are borne out of reason and context are a lot more meaningful than blind optimistic ones.

Offline scrittoresabino

• Refugee
« Reply #256 on: January 11, 2018, 08:24:41 PM »
stop pretending "darkness" is a high standard of excellence, when it is nothing more than a personal preference.

A "dark" song does not automatically make it superior, more intellectual, meaningful or whatever Im-an-edgy (pun totes intended, thats right, I used "Totes" and Im old... deal) outsider, so that makes things cool person.

Stop pretending pop is inferior. Its just a style and sound that you aren't frenzies with (directed at those who use the word as a negative one).

That being said... I LOVE Acrobat, but I may have more intense passion for Elevation.

The simple rhymes are what help make it work. The lyric style fits the nature of the song. Which is actually better writing than many lyrics that are considered "deep".  It can be more difficult to conjure up raw primal joyousness in a song like Elevation than the raw open wound pain and despair of Acrobat (how many dark sad songs are there in general, compared to the opposite, in rock?) Though, "And I must be an acrobat, To talk like this, And act like that" is one of my favorite lines ever, it is very direct and on the nose.

Offline KenKaniff

• Wanderer
« Reply #257 on: January 11, 2018, 10:45:09 PM »
Why did U2 stop the promotional train for this album so quick?
They went hard through week one and it felt like that was the end.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NYC 3, Belfast 1,2
« Reply #258 on: January 12, 2018, 08:49:15 AM »
It might creep back up again with the Grammy's coming up.

Offline achtung child

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #259 on: January 12, 2018, 02:05:36 PM »
U2 are "unofficially" broken up. They don't look happy together anymore.  It feels like Bono and Edge running the company, whilst Larry and Adam drift in their own separate worlds.

Offline habib2343

• Wanderer
« Reply #260 on: January 12, 2018, 03:02:32 PM »
it could just be they are exhausted after a year of touring and with age catching up with them...+ Bono and Edge have always dominated proceedings....I think the rhythm section is happy to sit back and collect the cash..

When adam said edge came up with the bassline for blackout, I was shocked.....I think he also wrote another well known bassline but the song escapes me...

Offline KenKaniff

• Wanderer
« Reply #261 on: January 12, 2018, 03:14:07 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It might creep back up again with the Grammy's coming up.

They are performing at the Grammys? That's awesome, I missed that.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #262 on: January 12, 2018, 05:45:41 PM »
it could just be they are exhausted after a year of touring and with age catching up with them...+ Bono and Edge have always dominated proceedings....I think the rhythm section is happy to sit back and collect the cash..

When adam said edge came up with the bassline for blackout, I was shocked.....I think he also wrote another well known bassline but the song escapes me...

They are just such a driven band to be at the top, probably in part due to Bono and his relentless energy and drive to challenge himself and stay at the top. I heard Adam say in an interview that to get to the top one needs a Bono in the band! It strikes me that Edge has always been a musical genius especially with the guitars and their sound so that doesn't surprise me. 
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 05:48:05 PM by summerholly »

Offline radiofreenewport

• Babyface
« Reply #263 on: January 13, 2018, 09:40:08 AM »
U2 are "unofficially" broken up. They don't look happy together anymore.  It feels like Bono and Edge running the company, whilst Larry and Adam drift in their own separate worlds.

One thing that bothers me about SOI and SOE is that the lyrics feel more like Bono solo records than true U2 records. When he wrote about Ali or his mother in the past, it was more couched in poetry and not as blatant.

My controversial thought is that I really, really wish Bono would STFU for a good long while. I'm a longtime fan and I'm tired of his endless blathering, especially when he's acting like this record has such deep themes.

Offline KenKaniff

• Wanderer
« Reply #264 on: January 13, 2018, 12:37:08 PM »
Bought the NLOTH vinyl the other week. It was basically my first time revisiting the album since I heard it once when it came out. I hated it at the time. It's been tied as my least favorite album (w/ October) because of that one listen in 2009. I don't love the album now, but it's grown A LOT on me. I also appreciate it very much for the risks they took. I'm listening to it now dreaming of U2 taking risks like this again.

Offline mc

• Stateless
« Reply #265 on: January 13, 2018, 02:48:03 PM »
Should they hire another guitarist as Edge has not done a decent solo since AB? ...Seems like he cannot be bothered.
Maybe let Dallas play?

Offline achtungx

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Lillywhite Called Me a Naughty British Slang Word
« Reply #266 on: January 15, 2018, 01:37:25 PM »
I definitely wish Bono would STFU for awhile. He grates on my nerves. Blah blah blah Trump blah blah America blah blah an idea blah blah... saying the same crap over and over. If he had any balls, he would try to arrange a meeting with Trump and try to influence him and change his heart, but no, he cops out and talks from afar. That doesn't change anything or help anything. It just adds his voice to the echo chamber of group think and same thought.

I also wish that he'd lay off focusing on the damn USA already. I'm American and I'm sick of hearing about us. One of the reasons I loved Achtung Baby was because it was Euro-centric and a bit exotic to boring mainstream America. The clothes, the attitude, the music.

I'm so bored with the U-S-A.

Offline Racingfan53

• Babyface
  • Gal 2:20
« Reply #267 on: January 18, 2018, 04:55:37 PM »
My most controversial thought on U2 is probably that Zooropa and Pop are their worst albums.  Yes, I truly think that Zooropa and Pop are their worst albums.  Zooropa sounds way too hastily put together.  I'm not bashing the fact that they're experimental--AB, in my humble opinion, is their best album, and that one does experimentalism the right way IMO.  Zooropa and Pop, however, honestly sound to me like they were thrown together (I know they put effort into these, but it really doesn't sound that way.)

Instead, I would have preferred it if they released the 9 non-AB remixes on AB Deluxe as a separate album, perhaps with Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill me or another separately-released song.  Those AB B-sides and unreleased are of a much higher quality than Zooropa and Pop.  Not higher quality than AB, but an AB companion album (rather than simply a second disk, which undermines the greatness of these songs) that has Satellite, LWTSH, Salome, Blow Your House Down, Alex Descends Into Hell, Night and Day, etc., would be a dream.  It's a pity these songs aren't better known, and I think that's because they don't stand on their own as a separate album.  IMO, every (yes, every) non-AB song on the second disk of AB Deluxe is leagues ahead of anything on Pop and Zooropa.

Offline lightmyway92

• Wanderer
  • On Borderland We Run
« Reply #268 on: January 19, 2018, 11:10:20 AM »
My most controversial thought on U2 is probably that Zooropa and Pop are their worst albums.  Yes, I truly think that Zooropa and Pop are their worst albums.  Zooropa sounds way too hastily put together.  I'm not bashing the fact that they're experimental--AB, in my humble opinion, is their best album, and that one does experimentalism the right way IMO.  Zooropa and Pop, however, honestly sound to me like they were thrown together (I know they put effort into these, but it really doesn't sound that way.)

Instead, I would have preferred it if they released the 9 non-AB remixes on AB Deluxe as a separate album, perhaps with Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill me or another separately-released song.  Those AB B-sides and unreleased are of a much higher quality than Zooropa and Pop.  Not higher quality than AB, but an AB companion album (rather than simply a second disk, which undermines the greatness of these songs) that has Satellite, LWTSH, Salome, Blow Your House Down, Alex Descends Into Hell, Night and Day, etc., would be a dream.  It's a pity these songs aren't better known, and I think that's because they don't stand on their own as a separate album.  IMO, every (yes, every) non-AB song on the second disk of AB Deluxe is leagues ahead of anything on Pop and Zooropa.
That's really only a controversial opinion on fan forums like this one.  It's pretty common among the general public.  I've always like Zooropa, though, for what is:  a very creative, entertaining set of songs.  I wouldn't consider the album as a whole to be classic U2, aside from a few songs, but it's fun to listen to once in a while.  I tend to think of it as a companion piece to Achtung Baby that the band spontaneously recorded and released, and not as a major album release, like Pop.

Which brings me to my feeling about Pop :)  You'll find that on this forum, Pop is a hotly-debated and very polarizing album.  A small cult, for lack of a better word, has actually developed around that album.  When it was first released in '97, I had extremely high (probably unrealistic) expectations for it.  Achtung Baby was almost a life-changing album for me.  I wanted another AB, didn't get it, and was very disappointed.  I was also turned off by the title of the album and the whole presentation that U2 put forth at that time. I listened to it a lot at first and got to like a handful of the songs, but then I lost interest.  A couple months later, when the tour started, i saw a picture, in Rolling Stone I believe, of Bono wearing that god-awful muscle shirt.  I will never forget the sinking feeling I had.  I was genuinely concerned that the band I had loved since War had jumped the shark.

I was overjoyed to find out that wasn't the case when All that You Can't Leave Behind was released a few years later.  Since '97 I've been able to enjoy more of Pop than I did back then, but it will probably always be my least favorite U2 album.  It just strays too far away from what I want from U2.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 11:21:58 AM by lightmyway92 »

Offline Luzita

• Refugee
« Reply #269 on: January 19, 2018, 12:08:15 PM »

That's really only a controversial opinion on fan forums like this one.  It's pretty common among the general public.  I've always like Zooropa, though, for what is:  a very creative, entertaining set of songs.  I wouldn't consider the album as a whole to be classic U2, aside from a few songs, but it's fun to listen to once in a while.  I tend to think of it as a companion piece to Achtung Baby that the band spontaneously recorded and released, and not as a major album release, like Pop.

Which brings me to my feeling about Pop :)  You'll find that on this forum, Pop is a hotly-debated and very polarizing album.  A small cult, for lack of a better word, has actually developed around that album.  When it was first released in '97, I had extremely high (probably unrealistic) expectations for it.  Achtung Baby was almost a life-changing album for me.  I wanted another AB, didn't get it, and was very disappointed.  I was also turned off by the title of the album and the whole presentation that U2 put forth at that time. I listened to it a lot at first and got to like a handful of the songs, but then I lost interest.  A couple months later, when the tour started, i saw a picture, in Rolling Stone I believe, of Bono wearing that god-awful muscle shirt.  I will never forget the sinking feeling I had.  I was genuinely concerned that the band I had loved since War had jumped the shark.

I was overjoyed to find out that wasn't the case when All that You Can't Leave Behind was released a few years later.  Since '97 I've been able to enjoy more of Pop than I did back then, but it will probably always be my least favorite U2 album.  It just strays too far away from what I want from U2.

I totally agree with this comment. Almost posted something similar myself. Dear Racingfan53, you have to remember that the individuals who post to U2 forums are not necessarily representative of fandom as a whole, and in fact different forums develop distinct personalities. This forum in particular has been a gathering place for folks whom lightmyway92 aptly refers to as "Pop cultists." When I first came here, I innocently walked into certain walls, certain taboo facts and required opinions, that had become ingrained in the small world of this site but had little relationship to the real world.

Feeling that Zooropa and *especially* Pop are U2's worst albums is not a controversial thought at all, it's completely mainstream. Certain posters will push back against the idea like it's some sort of heresy, but they are no more than a vocal and (how shall I put this) somewhat obsessed minority.