Author Topic: 'Only big, tiered stadiums.'  (Read 3992 times)

Offline FishLips

• Stateless
'Only big, tiered stadiums.'
« on: March 05, 2009, 02:53:47 AM »
Just read the Hot Press article, where McG is quoted as saying "...the places we're playing will be tiered football stadiums; no flat fields, no festivals, no baseball stadiums. Only big, tiered stadiums.".  Then later says "And this tour is exclusively outdoors, there will be no indoor shows..."

Well, this really narrows it down in North America, it seems.  No Minneapolis?  No Toronto, Montreal & Vancouver?  Scheduling will also be tight with the NFL and college football seasons in full swing.

I was hoping to catch them in Las Vegas, but is Sam Boyd stadium going to be too small at only 37,000 capacity?  And living in the Northwest, I usually have 3 choices of cities to see U2 nearby - Seattle, Portland & Vancouver.  Of these three, I think Seattle is the only city that has a large enough outdoor stadium that will suit this tour.

Ahh.. the times where I could catch them 3-4 times easy are over, it seems.  It will be exciting to see them in a large venue after a decade of arenas...  I just hope I can see them more than once.

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
Re: 'Only big, tiered stadiums.'
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 10:48:53 AM »
I was fortunate on the Boy Tour in the 80's to sit on the little stage where they played (on the left side) with beer & cig in hand too. Then 2nd leg they came bac to albany and i could hardly get in the door. It was a bummer. Now I guess i was spoiled and although i would love to go to the new tour, I would only want to sit on the side of the stage. I know, Aint happening! So Big Tiered Stadiums, i dont even like heights oh sh....t.........

Offline in_eden

• Stateless
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 11:36:22 AM »
I think McGuinnes was speaking of arenas. There are just too many domed stadiums in the US in big markets... Minneapolis, St. Louis, Detroit, Houston... they'd skip all of those?

Offline fadedu2

• Babyface
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 11:56:09 AM »
I think you are right he probably meant indoor arenas but not the football domes.

liewerizon

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 04:45:02 PM »
Please come to Edmonton, AB, Canada!!! It's been twelve long years! We have a 66000+ capacity stadium, perfect for a U2 outdoor concert. The band had two great shows here in '97 during the Popmart Tour. They even included bonus footage of one of the shows in their Popmart Dvd.

Offline Achtung_Habs

• Party Girl/Boy
  • In the name of Love
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 05:54:38 PM »
I just cant picture them not going to Montreal or Toronto... 

Offline U2Pride

• Deep In the Heart
  • There's no them, only us.
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 06:26:53 PM »
AH! Does that mean no New York!

Offline Achtung_Habs

• Party Girl/Boy
  • In the name of Love
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 06:44:01 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Hmm... Giants Stadium says hello ?

Offline Nagrom99

• Numb
  • I'm 25, trying to stay alive.....
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 08:38:04 PM »
Just read the Hot Press article, where McG is quoted as saying "...the places we're playing will be tiered football stadiums; no flat fields, no festivals, no baseball stadiums. Only big, tiered stadiums.".  Then later says "And this tour is exclusively outdoors, there will be no indoor shows..."

Well, this really narrows it down in North America, it seems.  No Minneapolis?  No Toronto, Montreal & Vancouver?  Scheduling will also be tight with the NFL and college football seasons in full swing.

I was hoping to catch them in Las Vegas, but is Sam Boyd stadium going to be too small at only 37,000 capacity?  And living in the Northwest, I usually have 3 choices of cities to see U2 nearby - Seattle, Portland & Vancouver.  Of these three, I think Seattle is the only city that has a large enough outdoor stadium that will suit this tour.

Ahh.. the times where I could catch them 3-4 times easy are over, it seems.  It will be exciting to see them in a large venue after a decade of arenas...  I just hope I can see them more than once.

They won't leave out Toronto.  It's the third largest City in North America.

Offline busy5mom

• Stateless
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 01:03:59 AM »
Hi FishLips in the Northwest - How big is the Gorge Amphitheater? Isn't it bigger than Key Arena in Seattle? It's outdoors...Coldplay will be there this summer. What do you think, is it possible? What about you M2 ... Talk about close to home!

Offline FishLips

• Stateless
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 02:30:42 AM »
Hi FishLips in the Northwest - How big is the Gorge Amphitheater? Isn't it bigger than Key Arena in Seattle? It's outdoors...Coldplay will be there this summer. What do you think, is it possible? What about you M2 ... Talk about close to home!

The Gorge is slightly larger than Key Arena, but it sounds like they're only booking large football-style stadiums.  Qwest field is probably the only venue they're considering in the Pacific NW.  Unless they are doing covered stadiums, in which case BC Stadium would be another option.

mariamontreal

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 06:29:33 AM »
If they don't come to Montreal ther will be many disappointed people INCLUDING ME

Offline Achtung_Habs

• Party Girl/Boy
  • In the name of Love
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 07:00:33 AM »
Maybe they are doing something like a reverse Zoo TV tour... Do a effing big stadium tour, then continue with smaller Arenas later.  They just can't leave out many cities that dont have a big stadium, but are a great U2 town !  Montreal loves U2, and U2 loves Montreal !

To quote Bono : It's in Montreal that we realized we could play big stadiums !

Offline EdgeFest [Zenmaster360]

• Airborne Ranger
  • My blog: mrstheedge.com
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 11:09:40 AM »
Please come to Edmonton, AB, Canada!!! It's been twelve long years! We have a 66000+ capacity stadium, perfect for a U2 outdoor concert. The band had two great shows here in '97 during the Popmart Tour. They even included bonus footage of one of the shows in their Popmart Dvd.

Woot.  I'm from Regina and we'd be coming up to that one for sure.  I'm still holding hope for a Taylor Field concert though ;)

Question is though (if you're from Edmonton and are a CFL fan), will the Edmonton Eskimos organization llet the road crew from U2 on the field before the concert?

:D  ;)

Offline U2Pride

• Deep In the Heart
  • There's no them, only us.
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 04:53:07 PM »

Hmm... Giants Stadium says hello ?

I don't even know where that is!! I don't think I live near it  ???