Author Topic: U2 JT tour vs Guns N Roses 2017 tour  (Read 1435 times)

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
U2 JT tour vs Guns N Roses 2017 tour
« on: September 12, 2017, 12:03:56 PM »
I had an interesting conversation with a few friends the other day. A few weeks ago we saw G n R at the same stadium U2 played earlier this year. 2 of my buddies thought G n R was one of the best shows they've seen in a long time. I thought G n R played well and put on a good performance but the show was just to long. They played for 3:20 and as a casual fan the show dragged to much. For every great song like Estranged, Night Train, Civil War, etc.. you'd have to sit through 4 Chinese Democracy songs, a slew of covers, the bass player singing a song. If they would have cut it down to 2:30 it would have been great.

When I said this to my buddies on of them replied that this G n R show was better then U2 has been since the Elevation tour and that Bono could take a lesson from Axl Rose and move his fat ass so he isn't a statue singing standing at the mike stand all show. (Bono didn't move much at our JT show). My other buddy who is a casual fan of both bands thought G n R were better as well. He said he was a bit disappointed in the U2 show and didn't think it was worth the money.

My thoughts are that as performers G n R were better. Axl's voice is much stronger then Bono's is now and him and Slash were running all over the stage. For my own enjoyment I liked the U2 show better. I'm a lot bigger fan of U2 and the show didn't drag at certain points like G n R's did. Ms Sarajevo was a big miss as well as the women's rights version of UltraViolet, and the band (especially Bono) were not as energetic as they used to be, but it was still a solid show.

Anyone else see both shows and how do they compare against each other?

Offline cabral255

• Wanderer
Re: U2 JT tour vs Guns N Roses 2017 tour
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 12:42:28 PM »
I could not take Guns and Roses seriously because Axl Rose now looks like Carrot Top

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Offline u2live

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 12:44:16 PM »
to each their own, I saw G'N'R in 2002 and was probably the worst show I've seen in my life

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 01:17:51 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
to each their own, I saw G'N'R in 2002 and was probably the worst show I've seen in my life

That was imitation G n R though, wasn't it? (No original members other then Axl).

Offline u2live

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 01:18:32 PM »
it was but man was it awful.........

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 01:18:41 PM »
I could not take Guns and Roses seriously because Axl Rose now looks like Carrot Top

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Very true. The plastic surgeon wasn't kind to Axl.

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 01:22:56 PM »
I haven't been to either show, but for what it's worth, I've seen a lot of footage from both tours on YouTube and from what I can garner, I think i would've enjoyed seeing guns n roses more than the Joshua tree tour. Exit, asoh and ttyw are the only songs which would have interested me. The set-list, as usual, lacked any imagination whatsoever. Come on u2, surely you are getting as bored as even the most casual fan of playing the same old bombastic tripe. It's got so predictable that I don't think I ever want to see them live again.

Guns n roses in comparison are just more energetic and more up for it than u2 seem to be these days. So yes, guns n roses for me.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 01:24:50 PM by miami »

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 01:24:03 PM »
The first time I saw G n R was way back when I was in Gr. 8. Went with a buddy to see Iron Maiden. A little known band named Guns n Roses opened for them. Welcome to the Jungle was getting some play on TV so I knew that song but for the most part the crowd didn't pay attention. A few weeks later Sweet Child of Mine was released and G n R skyrocketed to one of the biggest bands on the planet.

Offline acrobat62

• Elevated
  • I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 02:04:03 PM »
Hmmm, have never seen GnR live, but I do enjoy me some Appetite.  Having said that, GnR hadn't toured as any semblance of the original lineup since 1993 until 2012 a 19 year "break".    Oh, and how much new music have they come out with in that time........oh yea, 1 album of debatable quality. 

U2, in that time , 1993 - 2012 4 tours to record breaking crowds and released 4 albums of new work, I know, debatable in quality as well.  So who has been more active?

Since 2012 U2 has had an additional new album and toured twice (one in progress), GnR, still no new music and two tours.

Not sure the point I am tying to make other then, it really is not a reasonable apples to apples comparison.  I think I would like to have more new music and tours as U2 has offered then the lack of production GnR have, especially if you are going to compare a single show on a single tour. 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 02:09:41 PM by acrobat62 »

monopoly

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 02:35:39 PM »
I think if it were IE this year, there would be no comparison

Offline CrisSky

• Babyface
  • Hello, I love U2! I am a singer as well.
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2017, 05:20:06 PM »
Will see the Joshua Tree tour on Thursday in New Orleans, but I did see 360 Denver and I&E NYC. Saw GNR last year in Dallas which is still pretty much the same show they are touring today. I'll get back to this after seen the show on Thursday. In general though:

I personally think U2 is superior.

Guns N Roses deliver a high paced rock n roll show with flashy lights, pyro, and led screens. It's great, but it isn't much different from many other bands that do the same. If you generally like that kinda music then I think U2's style may just be to... Well, it may not be for you. That's why I think a lot of people that go see both will prefer GNR.

I think the U2 show is heavier... And no I don't mean heavy as a genre. Or their physical weight. 8)
It's an event that I think their core audience knows can be spectacular and it keeps a certain tension and excitement to the shows. A U2 show may have moments where you think, "is this even good"? And then out of no where they do something that is just incredible. I think that alone keeps them in front for me. I love both bands and can understand why someone would prefer one or the other.

Offline zedg

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • *POP*
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2017, 09:13:24 PM »
Saw GNR earlier this year and was really great.
My gig went for approx 2h20 or so which was perfect.

High energy, loud rock spectacle.

TJT tour is low energy and somewhat boring by comparison, but the music of both bands is completely different so you can't really compare.
..with GNR you have two guitarists so a fuller more rocking sound, plenty long guitar solos. It's a full on rock n roll show, where you wouldn't really classify U2's as that really.

Offline robgalloway

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 06:24:31 AM »
I'm a Massive U2 and GnR fan ... I saw U2 last on the SOI and I saw GnR a few months ago in The Netherlands. Both are ace. I think U2 put on the better show but Guns n Roses was amazing. If GnR played for 2 hours then they would beat U2 all day long but they played for 3hrs 45 when I saw them. Which was ace but also a bit too much. It felt like two gigs at once. It was nice to see GnR play for that long because I've waited since I was 8 years old in 1991 to see those guys together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2017, 06:46:22 AM »
I had an interesting conversation with a few friends the other day. A few weeks ago we saw G n R at the same stadium U2 played earlier this year. 2 of my buddies thought G n R was one of the best shows they've seen in a long time. I thought G n R played well and put on a good performance but the show was just to long. They played for 3:20 and as a casual fan the show dragged to much. For every great song like Estranged, Night Train, Civil War, etc.. you'd have to sit through 4 Chinese Democracy songs, a slew of covers, the bass player singing a song. If they would have cut it down to 2:30 it would have been great.

Like Zedg and CrisSky alluded to, it's hard to make a comparison between the two just because of some fundamental differences in what the bands represent and what type of show they want to put out there. In the end, it's really going to come down which band you prefer, probably.

They do put up a longer show, which either makes fans feel like they got their money's worth or that fans think drags on a bit. I suspect the extended solos and Duff singing a cover are in there to sort of give Axl a break and a breather (I thought that he sang quite well too, honestly... especially considering all the years that have gone by). But go to the GNR forum and it's the exact same set list discussions we have on here... so they're not going to make everyone happy regardless of what they do.

Fwiw, the Chinese Democracy songs didn't sound out of place for me really. And if they skipped those, the GNR fans might be up in arms about them "ignoring" a part of their history, etc. etc. It's actually kind of cool that Slash and Duff were amenable to playing them too, which makes sense since they were complimentary towards it in the past.

I saw GNR over a month ago and it was a really great show, I thought. It's hard to make the comparison to U2 though just because I've seen the later so many times. It'd be easy to hold GNR above TJT shows as a one-off, but would I feel the same way after seeing GNR three times on a tour as well? Hard to tell.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 06:50:23 AM by trevgreg »

Offline u2live

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2017, 08:23:44 AM »
tough to compare the two, one band plays high energy rock while the other has many types of sounds.........

I prefer a range of emotion but to each their own.