Author Topic: U2 JT tour vs Guns N Roses 2017 tour  (Read 1608 times)

Offline rlabs19

• Stateless
Re: U2 JT tour vs Guns N Roses 2017 tour
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2017, 11:39:12 AM »
Haven't seen any videos/setlists/reviews of GnR tour, and I'm confident in saying U2's tour >>>>>>>> GnR tour.

U2 has had more than one incredible album, Bono can still sing, and U2 isn't one of the most overrated bands in history.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • Nashville, Montreal 1 & 2
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2017, 01:35:50 PM »
I've seen GNR five times over 25 years. I think it's time that they get new material out. They are playing the same setlist as 93. Now that the old cronnies are back it's time to create new stuff. The act as a whole seems to have matured tremendously.

AC

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2017, 02:25:15 PM »
Monster fan of both, seen both tours twice this year - But I feel I get my money's worth with GNR. Traveled to St. Louis and Little Rock for GNR and to Tampa and Boston for U2.

My reasoning:

Axl has reclaimed the "Ultimate Frontman" crown from Bono/Jagger/Etc in my opinion. He hits all his marks and never stops moving onstage. I've talked to a lot of fans who think he is better now overall than he was during Use Your Illusion tour, etc. He's also gotten to back to slinging one-liners to loosen the audience up. Bono, seems to just be posing a lot and really rehashes all of the same talking points show to show -  Pretty much like a politician. I thought during the Tampa show his voice was a bit off for a lot of the show. Exit was the only song I felt that got Bono really electrified during either show I saw.

Slash and Edge are a little harder to compare because that's apples and oranges. But Slash's "Godfather" solo is clearly a focal point that I've yet to see anyone head for the bathroom during.

The setlist for GNR again is superior to me personally. I love feeling like I get my money's worth after a 3.5 - 4 hour show. GNR has been throwing in Who, AC/DC, Neil Young and Glen Campbell covers which are really fun to watch. They are clearly more into playing a rarity like My Michelle or Yesterday's than U2 has been into playing Trip Through Your Wires or One Tree Hill.

The stage at U2's show is really something to behold and I will say that GNR could do much more with their stage design. It really is a rehash of the Stone's Zip Code stage without the long catwalk. But I felt a lot of times my eyes were watching the screen at JT30 instead of getting in-tune with the music or watching the band.

Last but not least - MERCH. GNR is really hitting it out of the park. Limited edition lithographs and T-shirts at every show make it feel special. Their overall line is better pound for pound. I always get merch at U2's shows, but I find their swag lacking.

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I Am Here
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2017, 10:51:16 PM »
I saw both tours but find it really hard to compare them. I like U2 more than GNR but had never seen GNR before and Axl was very good. But the music is just too different for me to compare them. Just glad I got to see both at the end of the day. Both very good but different experiences.

Offline fardreamer

• Child of Grace
  • The best things are easy to destroy
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2017, 02:47:10 PM »
I can't believe people are seriously comparing Guns n Roses to U2. That's one of the most ridiculous comparisons I've ever seen. It's like asking if Manchester United and the New England Patriots played who'd win? 

Also, ever considered that Bono is more static these days because of the quite serious injuries he copied a couple of years ago. I think it slowed him down a lot.

Offline JTNash

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2017, 02:53:53 PM »
It's like having a ychat (U2)and comparing it to a cool ski boat no comparison

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2017, 03:16:09 PM »
Both are heritage rock bands that filled the same stadiums this year. Their music has obvious differences, but let's not act like it's a comparison between The Wiggles and Black Sabbath

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2017, 03:37:07 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It's like having a ychat (U2)and comparing it to a cool ski boat no comparison
Good analogy, JT.  Very on point!

Offline fardreamer

• Child of Grace
  • The best things are easy to destroy
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2017, 03:55:15 PM »
Both are heritage rock bands that filled the same stadiums this year. Their music has obvious differences, but let's not act like it's a comparison between The Wiggles and Black Sabbath

Sorry but yeah I think the comparison is exactly that crazy.

And I'll grant you GnR is a heritage act, but I don't see how U2 are considering they're still actively recording and releasing new material.

Offline JTNash

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2017, 04:39:41 PM »
And GnR is like rent a musicans and Axel, it's not even the original band.  They have put out half the music U2 has

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2017, 04:46:31 PM »
I could not take Guns and Roses seriously because Axl Rose now looks like Carrot Top

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
I think he looks more like Melissa McCarthy as Sean spicer...
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 04:48:40 PM by briscoetheque »

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2017, 04:54:48 PM »
And GnR is like rent a musicans and Axel, it's not even the original band.  They have put out half the music U2 has

Slash and Duff McGagen have been back for over a year. No where in this thread was anyone comparing the 2 bands catalogues, current music, past music, etc...

The question was for people who have seen both bands current shows, which one they enjoyed more.

AC

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2017, 06:37:48 PM »
This place is a pit of negativity. Peace.

Offline JTNash

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2017, 07:40:37 PM »
I left GnR early

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2017, 10:21:11 PM »

Slash and Duff McGagen have been back for over a year. No where in this thread was anyone comparing the 2 bands catalogues, current music, past music, etc...

The question was for people who have seen both bands current shows, which one they enjoyed more.

Right. A lot of people on this forum have developed a condescending attitude towards fans of other artists, and that thinking shouldn't have any place on @U2. This forum is a fantastic place for discussion of music in general, not exclusively U2, so differing views should be encouraged.

I'm not a Guns N Roses fan myself, but this thread brings up an interesting comparison.